What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aluminum Windscreen Fairings

NYTOM

Well Known Member
I really like the method of using a aluminum fairing strip to attach the windscreen rather than the usual way of fiber-glassing the screen permanently in place. On my last (factory) plane it was a snap to replace the windscreen. ;)
I purchased the instructional DVD and RV-6 template from M.L.Skunkworks on how to make your own aluminum fairings at home right there in your own shop. I know honest customer service is at the top of their list cause it says it right there on their home page but they forget to tell you one little important item in their advertisement. You need about three hundred bucks worth on specialized tools to acheive the results. :eek: I started to watch the DVD and within a few minutes out comes the Lancaster Porto-Metal metal stretcher/shrink-er. $239.00 plus shipping from ACS. Then comes a Joggle tool, about 40 buck+S&H also from ACS.
It's probably just me but don't you think they should have mentioned those needed tools in their add. :mad:
I have all the sheet metal tools needed for the RV then some but until I saw the DVD I didn't even know the Porto-Metal existed. :confused: Tried looking on EBay and other sites for a used one but couldn't even find a listing.
At least NOW I know why all you guys glassed your windscreens on. :rolleyes:
They say you only learn by mistakes so I'll bet I'm going to be one smart S.O.B. but the time I get this thing flying. :D

Metal forming

When you have the Porto-Metal mastered you should consider an english wheel. Then you can whip up some wingtips and a cowl. :D

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

I too made the windscreen fairing and canopy rollover fairing from metal ( RV 6 slider ). No special tools are required. There is an article in the June 97 RVator on how to go about doing this with no more than a wooden former block and a simple hand roller tool. It worked a treat. I drilled and screwed the lower fairing to the windscreen....If I had my time again I would not do this, it doesn't need it and your just asking for cracks. I would probably use Sika instead.
Here are a couple of pics complete with " I'm not to sure" little helpers...

k2hc02.jpg

vhgh7a.jpg

Good luck

Last edited:
I too made the windscreen fairing and canopy rollover fairing from metal ( RV 6 slider ). No special tools are required. There is an article in the June 97 RVator on how to go about doing this with no more than a wooden former block and a simple hand roller tool. It worked a treat. I drilled and screwed the lower fairing to the windscreen....If I had my time again I would not do this, it doesn't need it and your just asking for cracks. I would probably use Sika instead.

Thanks for posting! I have been trying to figure out how to do this! Any chance someone can post the article refered to?

Thanks for posting! I have been trying to figure out how to do this! Any chance someone can post the article refered to?

You can also find the article in the 24 years of the RVator book on page 133
Just trying to find the 97 RVator now. Will post it if I can find it

THANKS Airtractor!

Here is a link to the three page article that I scanned. There is also an article on rear canopy skirts for sliders as well. https://picasaweb.google.com/105462...97RVatorArticle?authkey=Gv1sRgCOrUkIa2g-KjJA#

Many thanks for the article images! I have the 24 years book, but it has been edited to remove some of the pictures that are included in your copy (assumed original RVAtor). When reading your copy, the method finally "clicked" in my head. I didn't get it from the 24 years copy. Really thanks. I'm in your debt. My canopy has been sitting to the side, all complete except for this feature and I had recently "given up" on the aluminum piece and was preparing to glass it. Not and more baby! Pass me the snips!

Many thanks for the article images! I have the 24 years book, but it has been edited to remove some of the pictures that are included in your copy (assumed original RVAtor). When reading your copy, the method finally "clicked" in my head. I didn't get it from the 24 years copy. Really thanks. I'm in your debt. My canopy has been sitting to the side, all complete except for this feature and I had recently "given up" on the aluminum piece and was preparing to glass it. Not and more baby! Pass me the snips!

Your very welcome :) You should be able to fab it and fit it in a day.
Good luck
Regards
Graham

Dummer than ever

Your very welcome :) You should be able to fab it and fit it in a day.
Good luck
Regards
Graham
See, all I had to do was ask here first instead of sending my hard earned money to a stranger and I could have gotten more information than I needed for free.
Thank you Frank & Graham :D

When you have the Porto-Metal mastered you should consider an english wheel. Then you can whip up some wingtips and a cowl. :D

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Like this fellow?

PirepMidgetMustangOpener.jpg

I hope I never have to park my plane next to a plane like this one. :-/

I've seen some pretty metal fairings early this year visiting Hangar #5 ;)
Hi John :D.

Now that wouldn't be Captain John would it. :rolleyes:
If I ever saw his plane in person I'd probably trash mine and start over.:eek:

RV-8

Anyone with examples on an 8. Didn't know if it would be possible with the same "ease" given the tighter radius windscreen?

Now that wouldn't be Captain John would it. :rolleyes:
If I ever saw his plane in person I'd probably trash mine and start over.:eek:

Thanks Guys! That is Bill H's handiwork. Absolutely incredible! You cannot slip a dollar bill between the sheets of aluminum!

I have the honor and privilege of piloting this plane from time to time and everyone who sees it is totally amazed!

Tom, stop by the Hangar to see it in person! We will have a cookout on June 19th. I will be there but Bill can't make it.

Anyone who is interested in coming to PYM, shoot me a PM. I can give you the details.

:) CJ

Good luck

You might not do it again, but that sure is a good looking fairing.

The boy in your lap appears seriously concerned about the half scale CDI deflection!

Doing the deed

Here's an in-progress pic of aluminum intersection fairing for a tipup canopy. Built using the methods posted by Airtractor earlier in this thread.

The only thing I would add to the RVator instruction is commentary about springback. The fairings did "fit" on first try, but they required a lot of clamping to do so. I spent a few additional hrs on each side working the curves (both in and out of the jig) to get the fairing to lay in place on their own.

I had to use a pop rivet dimpler to do the existing canopy because the reinforcing kit is already in place. There are 3 rivets on each side that will be round head because I can't dimple them at all.

All looks good so far.

THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!

And yes I spent the whole day in the shop. (My wife is a nurse and was working today). Same tomorrow. :)

20844206884ef65f52dbabe.jpg

Bill, those look great! I'm motivated to try making new ones for mine... The ones that came on it are passable, but have a couple of "kinks" in them... Nowhere near as smooth a curve as you've got there.

Now if I only had heat in my hangar, I could go out there and work on this...

I did metal windshield fairings front & top. Also a metal strip on the front/top of the canopy frame.. Made couple for friends also... Pretty easy.. However, the hardest part to make was the strip top of the windshield frame because of the needed compound curve. The trick I used: After trimming & securing it to the rollover bar with the windscreen in place, I used a wooden pie rolling pin (wifes, don't tell) & with down pressure just kept rolling it back and forth on the rear edge. Both front & top pieces are in two halfs with a short (thin) piece covering the splices.
2cLS8YhJFjGtlLnYvQnlm9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0

I stacked the rollers on my edge forming tool to make the larger edge flange bends.
UnlEjxQn4kOi8UQJnq_eI9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0

Back