What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hardware kit recommendation please!

tkatc

Well Known Member
Since I did not build, I do not have any hardware to service the plane if I need to and I would like to have parts on hand. Can you guys recommend a suitable hardware kit? I have looked at them on spruce but not sure which one I would benefit from.

Also, if you know of a good electronics kit and or tools you think I should have please speak up. ;)

Hardware/Electrical Kit

I'd suggest you build your own hardware kit...the hardware kits provided by most vendors will have too wide an assortment/will contain hardware you'll never use.

Get some clear plastic fishing tackle boxes (Plano/Flambeau/etc.) and take a look at the drawings for your plane. If you don't have a set of drawings, get a copy from Van's. Take a look at typical wear points: bearings on control surfaces, push tubes, etc. and customize your kit with an assortment of nuts, bolts, washers, rod end bearings, cotter pins, etc. to match your plane. I'd also add replacement oil filter, spark plugs, alternator belt, and inner tube/tire(s) as needed during oil changes/conditional inspections.

If you don't already have electrical tools I recommend the tool kit, heat shrink assortment, and terminal assortment from Steinair. You won't need the volume of wire in his full kit but can either buy some shorter lengths of wire as needed for a project/repair or pick up used wire on VAF/from another builder in your area.

Good luck,
Mike

For hardware in general, I tend to use AN3 bolts, mostly -4 through -11. I always keep a bunch of 3/8 and 1/2" #8 screws as well as some similar #6 - you will likely want both standard head and CS head. And associated washers, nuts (nylock as well as a few all-metal ones for FWF). I use nylon washers on my wheel pants rather than metal ones, so that might also be an option. I just order extra of this kind of stuff whenever I make an ACS (or Vans) order. Spruce will be cheaper in lots of 50 or 100, which I find useful for the #6 & #8 screws. Might also want a few nutplates. You can probably find an assortment of rivets from a local builder who has extras.

Like Mike said, have a look at the plans and try to anticipate any needs that you might have while traveling and throw those things in your toolkit.

cheers,
greg

You don't need no kit. You know where all the nuts are. Come and take what you want there is no lock on the hangar. Just wind the Bear.

Since I did not build, I do not have any hardware to service the plane if I need to and I would like to have parts on hand. Can you guys recommend a suitable hardware kit? I have looked at them on spruce but not sure which one I would benefit from.

No recommendations on a kit, since I'm not planning on getting one.

I forwarded my recent Aircraft Spruce order list to you. It has a few of the "consumables" I expect to use, so maybe it will help. It is so much easier to replace any screw that has any evidence of stripping before it becomes a problem, so I bought 50 of the screws that hold the front of the cowl together, and go on the spinner as well. 20 of the interior screws used on the rear bulkhead panel and seat pan. I know I will bugger up some of those at some point. I bought some brake pads too.

Transporter's suggestion of a spare tube is a good one, and I had not thought of that. He also mentioned Plano boxes, and some are on sale at Bass Pro Shops this week, so I'm going to pick some up.

For airplane specific tools, I'm just planning on borrowing any I need the 1st time or two, and if I need to borrow one more than a couple times, then l will go ahead and buy my own. I'm going to pick up a safety wire tool from Harbor Freight, and a torque wrench at McGuckin's (a Boulder landmark).

I'll have to check on Stein's site to see about his kit.

Let me know what you end up with.

Besides the bolts listed above, you will want a bunch of AN3 & 4 sized washers in both standard thickness and "L" (Light or thin).

Don't forget cotter pins, I'm always running out of those.

Torque seal, get some. You will also want an in-lb torque wrench. Get a small one as AN3 bolts are just a bit tigher than finger-tight and once set, you want to mark them with torque seal so you know they have been properly torqued.

Get some safety wire and safety wire pliers while you are at it. (I like the shorter pliers over the long ones.)

This hardware stuff is costly, but great to have around the hangar.

While you are at it, order two oil filters to put on your shelf. You will be surprised at how quickly 50 hours will pass by.

Here is my $.02 on it.

Wiring stuff should not be much of a maintenance issue, purchase or borrow as things come up.

For the hardware, the biggies are screws, and nylocks.

You will remove a lot of screws every time you do much of anything to the plane maintenance wise, and occasionally a nylock or two.

I would get the nuts from Vlad, like he offered, till you get a feel for what is needed.

Buy the screws by the hundred from ACS. They are cheap. Get #6, and # 8, 3/8 and 1/2, like recommended prior. Get both flat head, and round head, as per the call outs on the plan.

The compartmented plastic boxes are hard to beat, I use them for a lot of goodies.

Cad plated steel screws are a lot more durable than stainless screws, if looks are an issue go stainless, other wise, go cad plated.

As soon as a screw starts to show any sign of striping the head, toss it.

Ditto for the screw driver if it is worn.

Get a bunch of spark plug washers, and oil screen washers while you are at it, both of these should only be used once.

Good luck,

Back