I did nearly exactly that and it worked beautifully. My fuselage was up on sawhorses so we had access all around the gear mounts. The hard part for me was aligning the gear leg to the mount tube initially so it would slide in. Once I got it right, in like butter as Phil said. I initially left off the wheels and brake mount bracket but (important!) left the axle nuts on to protect the threads - it's too easy to drop a gear end while trying to move them gently around the fuselage. A blanket on the floor is also good insurance. Once the legs were in, I mounted and drilled the brake mount brackets and installed the bolts so the heads were forward. A side benefit is that the bolts now 'clock' the gear leg to help decide where to drill for the cotter pin even with the legs off the fuselage.
Since this seems like a good place, I'll point to my web page showing how to assemble the wheels
. It's not hard but doing it methodically makes it much quicker and easier. Then the wheels can go on and the axles drilled for the cotter pin. On the RV-6A, I drilled them in place with a hand drill, which is no way to do it. I went through several bits and a lot of blue vocabulary. For the 10 I removed the legs and used a friend's mill. Even a drill press is a better option. Here's my writeup
in a recent thread. I see I didn't mention why I drilled from both sides; if you try to drill straight through, you're liable to miss the hole in the axle nut on the other side. Drill bits wander slightly.
I put my -10 on the nosewheel at the same time as the mains and I expect others will do so as well. The nose gear assembly is easy and I found no 'gotchas' following Van's instructions with two exceptions. Before assembling the gear leg to the engine mount, ream all the bolt holes on the gear leg. There was also a bit of flashing on the engine mount that I removed with a dremel and then the bushings slid right in. The second problem was getting the elastomers compressed enough to get the WD-1015 in place. I hoisted the tail until the mains were off the ground but without the engine in place, there was simply not enough weight. I ended up adding a ratcheting cargo strap wrapped around the engine mount and gear leg to compress it that final bit.
The last thing I did before installing the wheels was add the brake and wheel-pant mounts. Then the wheels were installed (I used the replacement nosewheel and axle from Matco) and I did the nosegear compression - the wheels acted as cushion in case something slipped. With the tail hoisted for the compression, I simply slipped the remaining sawhorses out from under the fuselage and it was free standing.