What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Broken bones and a 3rd class medical

647jc

Well Known Member
Three months ago I had an altercation with a Buick while riding my motorcycle. Needless to say the Buick won and i was left laying on the pavement with multiple broken bones. My left shoulder was shattered and left arm broken in several places, I also broke a vertebra. I'm slowly healing, just started driving a car again and am beginning to think about getting back into the air in my RV9A. I currently don't have enough range of motion or strength in my left arm to fly but I'm hoping I will in a couple months. Needless to say, my first few flights will be with an instructor in the right seat as PIC.

My question is regarding my 3rd class medical which is due next month. I'm thinking if I try to renew my medical in my current condition, the doctor would obviously not pass me and then I would have problems with the FAA getting reinstated once my health is back to normal. I'm thinking it may be simpler to let my medical lapse since I won't be flying as PIC for some time anyway and once i'm healed up and have flown a few times with an instructor, then go get my medical renewed. I'm also not sure about notifying the FAA when one suffers broken bones. I know for some medical conditions, heart attack, stroke, cancer, diabetes, you are required to notify the FAA but I could not find anything about broken bones. Any input on this would be appreciated.

Last edited:
You don't have to notify anyone.. Just let it lapse, then go get it when you are well again. I did the same thing when I had back surgery.. I let my 3rd class lapse, and once I was all healed up and off the meds, I went and renewed. No problems.

Check out the Back of Your Medical Cert.

Joe:
"The holder of this certificate must: Comply with the standards relating to prohibitions on operation during medical deficiency"
? 61.53 Prohibition on operations during medical deficiency.

(a) Operations that require a medical certificate. Except as provided for in paragraph (b) of this section, a person who holds a current medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter shall not act as pilot in command, or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember, while that person:

(1) Knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate necessary for the pilot operation; or

(2) Is taking medication or receiving other treatment for a medical condition that results in the person being unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate necessary for the pilot operation.

You don't necessarily have to immediately advise OK City, but you're required to ground yourself. If you think you're not ready to meet medical standards, you're probably not. When you do take your physical, you're required to list any doctor visits or changes over prior physical - you may required to provide a physicians statement that you've regained full or sufficient range of motion. Good luck.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

Your thinking is right on! You have a disabling medical condition clearly making safe operation of an aircraft problematic - so "self-grounding" yourself as pilot-in-command is the correct thing to do. The FAA specifically recognizes the common sense approach to recovering from orthopedic injuries and does not even require you to report the injury (until your next medical application) if you fully recover. See this link: http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/medical_certification/faq/response10/
If you develop a "chronic condition", particularly one of the specifically disqualifying conditions such as a heart attack, then you must "report" the condition PRIOR to returning to flight status. Only in the case of a DWI do you actually face a very short interval where you must report even if not "reapplying" for flight status. General medical conditions don't require reporting as long as your not flying. The required reporting can be done either through the Regional Flight Surgeon's office or the Oklahoma City office; contact information for both is on the FAA web site. If it is time for a new medical, then you will "report" the condition on your application (and should be deferred to Ok City by the AME). If you are confronted with this situation, I'd think it through carefully before "reapplying" for flight status (i.e. a new medical). Basically you are going to be asking for "recertification" (not a real term) and will have to jump through all of the hoops required for whatever class medical you are requesting. If you for any reason are denied, you've blown any chance of legally flying as a sport pilot with a "driver's license" medical in the future - even if your overall health is now excellent but you simply fail on a specific detail. I won't even attempt to get into all of the "what if's" or issues on sport pilot flying with various medical conditions - it really comes down to good judgement on the part of the pilot. If you even think you might be confronted with this situation, talk it over with a knowledgeable AME or the EAA or AOPA medical advisors (unfortuantely I've noticed this is now a substantial "extra fee" service from AOPA; bummer) BEFORE you initiate a medical application. Once you start an application, it has to go through the system even if you quickly change your mind.

In your situation, the best course might be to "fully recover" from your orthopedic injuries. Obtain copies of all medical/surgical consultations, procedures, hospitalizations, etc. as well as a letter from your treating orthopedic surgeon stating you are fully recovered with "no limitations". Vebage stating you have "no orthopedic or physical limitations which would impair your ability to serve as pilot in command of an aircraft" would be best (if you can find a cooperative orthopedic surgeon). Take a copy (always keep a copy of records for yourself) of everything into your AME at the time of your exam. If you are fully recovered with an unremarkable exam, he or she can probably issue right then, or if any question they can call the regional flight surgeon for clarification.

Hope this helps!

Fagg Sanford (AME/ RV8 empenage kit JUST ARRIVED!!!)

The good news is you are able to post the question. Buicks can be mean against a motorcycle.

Three months ago I had an altercation with a Buick while riding my motorcycle. Needless to say the Buick won and i was left laying on the pavement with multiple broken bones. My left shoulder was shattered and left arm broken in several places, I also broke a vertebra. I'm slowly healing, just started driving a car again and am beginning to think about getting back into the air in my RV9A. I currently don't have enough range of motion or strength in my left arm to fly but I'm hoping I will in a couple months. Needless to say, my first few flights will be with an instructor in the right seat as PIC.

My question is regarding my 3rd class medical which is due next month. I'm thinking if I try to renew my medical in my current condition, the doctor would obviously not pass me and then I would have problems with the FAA getting reinstated once my health is back to normal. I'm thinking it may be simpler to let my medical lapse since I won't be flying as PIC for some time anyway and once i'm healed up and have flown a few times with an instructor, then go get my medical renewed. I'm also not sure about notifying the FAA when one suffers broken bones. I know for some medical conditions, heart attack, stroke, cancer, diabetes, you are required to notify the FAA but I could not find anything about broken bones. Any input on this would be appreciated.

I'm doing the same thing, but my medical expired last month. I hit a deer straight on at 60 mph on my 1520 cc Honda Valkyrie in the middle of the afternoon. Broken collar bone, broken shoulder blade, and all ribs on the left side. I now have a titanium plate on the collar bone. This was in the middle of July & I'm still recovering. Glad I was wearing a helmet this time. Lot's of road rash, though.

But that's not the worst. In January of this year, I had a ladder collapse related with my work. This broke my pelvis in two places, as well as my wrist. Both the pelvis and wrist are now attached with stainless steel. I also have a 5" long bolt, and about 40 (edit -24 actually) screws...........some of which are 3 inches long.

At least I was able to work & fly for about two months between these mishaps. Does anyone believe in "three's"? Or should I just wrap my self in bubble wrap and live in the room under my concrete porch, rather than go flying? :eek:

I'll be looking at this thread too...

edit: P.S. --- I made it through the first 59 years without nearly a scratch...

L.Adamson

Last edited:
I had to take a break on my IFR training due the fact I broke my ankle in three places in January while mountain biking (but did get a "free" helicopter ride back to civilization).

I subsequently let my 3rd class lapse (which was in March) because I was not quite ready in terms of recovery and was self-grounded due to lack of strength for being able to comfortably use the rudder pedals.

Did my medical in April and not a hitch.

YMMV depending on the injuries.

AOPA has a really good program to help with medical questions.

You are a member of AOPA, arent you?

Dangerous occupations??

That other thread pales compared to this one! Motorcycle vs. car...motorcycle vs. deer...two reasons why I sold my Virago ten years ago, after watching my riding buddy tumble to his death in front of me.

Ladder incident as well. I'm sticking to crop-dusting:)

It's a matter of risk and reward, isn't it?

Glad you guys made it tho'

Best,

I was in a car accident, took 6 months to heal. Let my medical lapse, and just renewed after I was back 100%. No issues.

If you're too broke to worry about passing the medical, you're too broke to fly IMO. Get yourself well, then get back in the cockpit. Being a fully capable, healthy pilot is the most important thing in the plane anyway. You owe it to yourself at the very least.

sanity

Maybe while we are all waiting to heal, the FAA will go to self-certification of medical fitness for all small plane VFR ops, not just sport plane! What is a few hundred pounds?

Joe, I feel for your dilemma, not so much the FAA medical stuff but the healing process which must hurt a lot. Sure hope it all mends completely and then you can fly again.

Sounds like the best plan is to let my medical lapse while still healing and once I'm able to comfortably fly again (with a CFII as PIC of course) get my medical renewed. Of course at that time I will have to disclose the injuries, operations, etc. and hopefully the AME will agree that I'm ok and can continue flying with out having to jump through a lot of hoops.*Thanks all for the advice and well wishes.

Sounds like the best plan is to let my medical lapse while still healing and once I'm able to comfortably fly again (with a CFII as PIC of course) get my medical renewed. Of course at that time I will have to disclose the injuries, operations, etc. and hopefully the AME will agree that I'm ok and can continue flying with out having to jump through a lot of hoops.*Thanks all for the advice and well wishes.

Joe, hope all goes well with your recuperation and future medical exam.

We have a pilot locally who came out on the short end of a motorcycle/truck altercation and he hit a major hurdle when he reported on his medical form over a year later that he had briefly lost consciousness following impact with the truck. This was the only time in his life he had ever been unconscious. Even though being knocked out after becoming a hood ornament is to be expected, this admission triggered exten$$$ive rounds of neurological tests and delays in regaining the medical.

Just thought you might want to know about this matter.

Best wishes,

Last edited:
Back