What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Speedweek 2010 - RV-10 Style

ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
Yesterday we took the RV-10 and flew out with my friend with his C-210 to the Salt Flats. The salt was dry and the day was perfect.
Saw some amazing engineering, fast cars and tons of passion.

We met one guy that was a spectator last year and over the year he bought a 200mph coupe, new truck, trailer and all three of his sons got their "license".
Pretty cool.

Anyway, I won't say much and let you watch the video and view the pictures (I didn't take too many, sorry).

Youtube Video (view in 720p):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-dJ06F2RDA
Or you can watch it here through Smugmug: http://scottandranae.smugmug.com/Other/Speedweek-2010/13399076_NSaY7#975104814_K2v3f-A-LB

974770684_UdSMd-XL.jpg

974773960_pSeX4-XL.jpg

974776227_Q8buS-XL.jpg

974777691_SKYGH-XL.jpg

974783635_n39im-XL.jpg

974788162_45esm-XL.jpg

V-12 Streamliner
974789784_YYLf6-XL.jpg

974790391_ygTKi-XL.jpg

We did see this great fold-up bike by Strida. It was impressive with an impressive $1,000 price tag but still very cool. Folded fast, belt drive with no grease and has a version with two speeds.
Unfortunately, their website says the belt drive is only good for 50,000 miles.
http://www.strida.com/en/products/
974786907_YjmGz-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome pics as usual Scott!

I've always wanted to go to Speedweek but I gotta make it to Oshkosh first.:rolleyes:

Thanks, Scott....

...coupla questions:

How smooth is the surface?

Did you land beside the track or on it. Is there any air traffic control or just see and avoid?

Thanks,

I have a dumb question also. Is the salt a problem with the cars or planes?

If you wear the belt out on the Strida bike after peddling 50,000 miles, I'll buy you a new one. ;)

Last edited:
Enjoyed the photos of the beautiful cars. Those guys and gals have a lot of passion for what they do. I've been to Bonneville but not during the speed runs. I liked the video but I would have liked it better without the music. Those engines are enough music for my ears. :)

You land beside and parallel to the tracks. The closest airport is KENV which is probably around 5 to 10 miles away. The salt is mostly hard, a few soft spots. The race tracks are really hard. The salt is REALLY bad on the equipment. You can see the crusted salt built up on the mud flaps and race cars, some 2-3 inches thick. Scott and I washed his plane thoroughly when we got back to his home airport. We checked inside the wheel pants behind the tires before we cleaned it and there was no salt build up.

Speed week

Thanks for the pictures and video Scott. I always enjoy your trip reports.

My dad and I have been racing at Bonneville for several years, but did not make it to Speed Week this year. We have a diesel streamliner, the Mormon Missile, but the engine was not quite ready for speed week 2010. We will be at World of Speed (also held at Bonneville) in Sept. Our current top speed is 353 mph.

The Speed Demon (in your video) is owned by a good friend of ours. He set the top speed of the meet at 418 mph!, with an average two-run record of 404 mph. An absolutely amazing feat with a 299 inch Chevy engine.

There are always planes that land on the salt during the events. Last year, someone made a high-speed pass right down the course in an RV8. It was pretty awesome to see a fellow RVer fly by.

Kurt Goodfellow
RV9, WAM 120 diesel, 170 hours

The salt was super smooth on Wednesday and like Sean said, I think it is very hard on equipment but I've always tried to wear stuff out rather than rot it out and I will have the wheels off in a couple of months for the annual and will do a very good cleaning then.

Just wondering if you bumped into Burt Munro .

No Burt Munro but we did see this guy that was in the video. His name is Butch and it appears he is going to set a speed record on a trike and is sponsored by Crown Royal.
974781286_G9Zw7-XL.jpg

My dad and I have been racing at Bonneville for several years, but did not make it to Speed Week this year. We have a diesel streamliner, the Mormon Missile, but the engine was not quite ready for speed week 2010. We will be at World of Speed (also held at Bonneville) in Sept. Our current top speed is 353 mph.
That is amazing, I would really enjoy running a streamliner out there. Someday I will at least get in the 200mph club.

I found this picture of your streamliner, very cool.
"Worlds Fastest Duramax" So how many inches of boost do you run?
0901dp_03_z+mormon_missile_duramax_streamliner+team_goodfellow.jpg

Effects from the salt

I'll be flying to Bonneville in Sept. to watch the "Ack Attack" try to get the title back of "Fastest Motorcycle On Earth." My father and his buds have been putting in countless hours to try to get this record back home to San Jose. This is an ambitious group with a lot of talent and I keep hearing that the goal with this streamliner ultimately is to be the first motorcycle to go 400mph.

We'll be landing on pavement and getting a ride onto the salt. Having seen the results of the salt on both the vehicles and the streamliners theres no chance my airplane is touching it.

Mormon Missile

That is amazing, I would really enjoy running a streamliner out there. Someday I will at least get in the 200mph club.

I found this picture of your streamliner, very cool.
"Worlds Fastest Duramax" So how many inches of boost do you run?
0901dp_03_z+mormon_missile_duramax_streamliner+team_goodfellow.jpg

Scott,
We have found over the years that getting into the "2" or "3" club is a lot easier said than done. You have to break an existing record over 200 or 300 mph. And all you get for your trouble is a red hat (200) or a blue hat (300).

The picture in your post is from 2008 when the car wasn't finished, just primered. Dad caught it on fire during his second 300+ mph record run (the Evans coolant ignited! You Egg Subie owners be careful, it's flammable). He spent some time in the hospital, but got the "blue hat".

We've since finished and painted the car, and last year upped the record in our class to 341 mph. Next month we're hoping for a two-pass average of over 350 mph to take the title of "world's fastest diesel" from the Brits:)

So come on out Sept 15-18 and help us in the pits (we'll feed you!), Then you can decide whether or not you want to drive next year and get into the 200 mph club:) We're building a 3.9L Cummins engine to try for a smaller engine class record.

Oh, to answer your question, we're running close to 90 psi boost, through compounding turbos and ice water intercoolers. We spend much more money on ice each year than we do on fuel!

Kurt

Incredible

OK, I guess what I meant to say is I want to run 200mph on the salt.
I ran a 1100 BMW out there about three years ago but it would only go about 128mph. I definitely need more horsepower and 90 psi sounds just about right:eek:
I will plan on coming out for a day in September to see you guys. Good luck.
Your diesel powered RV-9 sounds interesting too.

Here I am on the salt.
95530605_nGeKu-XL.jpg

This is such a fun view. I wanted more room like the long track has. I think I only had a mile or two.
95530607_DVk9K-XL.jpg

World of Speed

Scott,
We would love to have you in our pits for awhile. I'm planning on flying up in the Diesel RV9, so it will be tied down at the airport in Wendover. I'll be there Thursday the 16th mid-day through the end of the week.

Riding the Ducati at the salt looks like a lot of fun. Since the "World's Fastest Indian" came out, the number of motorcycles at the 'flats has really grown.

I look forward to meeting the guy who keeps me dreaming about the trips I want to take in my RV!

Kurt

How many inches is 90 psi....

...of boost and what's the conversion formula? My late boss has seen 130 inches in his nitrous/alcohol injected P-51 at Reno:eek:

Thanks guys,

Salt Flats

When I flew for KUTV in the late 70's and early 80's we used to cover speed week with Reese Stein. Lots of fun and is that white salt hot...Then one year when out there and there was 2 feet of water from the floods in 82 or 83 when downtown SLC was a river.

Neato. I saw both planes out on the salt while I was there. I tune EFI systems for a handful of cars: the orange Charger Daytona, a twin turbo BBC Studebaker, the blown 1950 Buick, and a couple others.

The Charger bumped the A/Pro record by 14mph. Video here:

http://www.bangshift.com/blog/BangS...icilio-and-His-Hemi-Daytona-Clone-at-230.html

This is my first post but I've lurked here for a year or so. Before college I restored a '47 Luscombe 8F and flew it all of 70 hours before selling it to go to school... eventually I want to do it again, from scratch. Until my budget improves from "Sonex" to "RV7" status, I'm lurking here :) it'll be a few years but I'll be back at it.

Anyways, was cool seeing you and your friend land at Bonneville. If you're there next year I'll find you and say hello!

Welcome to VAF!!!!

This is my first post but I've lurked here for a year or so. Before college I restored a '47 Luscombe 8F and flew it all of 70 hours before selling it to go to school... eventually I want to do it again, from scratch. Until my budget improves from "Sonex" to "RV7" status, I'm lurking here :) it'll be a few years but I'll be back at it.

Scott, welcome to VAF, restoring the Luscombe should have given you a bit of skill with metal aircraft-----sounds like you need to grab onto a RV project soon:D

Back