What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin communication to autopilot

ok3

Ok, for you fellows flying with the autopilot working in the nav mode. I can't get my garmin 496 to talk to dynon 180. I've tried all the different settings in the dynon and the garmin interfaces, but no joy. HELP!!

go to interfaces on the 496 (then advanced mode) and change your Aviation/NMEA setting from fast to normal. I think fast is a default setting.

496 flightfo to D180

Ok check this. This has happen to two people so far. Check the white wire that goes to the blue wire on your ELT. Its called WH-F55 GPS DATA OUT WIRE. If, when you crimped this wire to the blue wire on the ELT you accidentally let the outer shielding on the WH-F55 touch the crimp then Bingo all the settings will not work on the 496 to the D180. So go look through the crimp and see if the shielding is touching the but splice. J

Setting the gps to Aviation/NMEA normal speed didn't help. Thanks anyway. I checked the gps wh-f55 cable for shield grounding, still no help. I guess I'll have to pull the cover off and check the gps connection to the Dynon. Thanks for the help.

As Pete indicated. Is the GPS talking to the D180. Do you have a CDI needle (lubberline) shown on the D180 HSI screen?

The next step would be to call Van's and ask them to walk you thru the wiring diagram. You will have to ask them for the particulars on the GPS data wire. Then perform continuity checks for the GPS data wire from the GPS to the switch panel and then from the switch panel to the D180. During the continuity checks ensure the wire did not break off of the pin and the pin is tight in the connector.

None of us can help here as a wiring diagram of the switch panel is not available.

Assuming you did NOT change any of the default settings in the GPS or the D180, other than the one mentioned by Pete which has to be changed from FAST to NORMAL. If you did, have them walk thru all settings in the GPS and the D180 related to communication between the two.

Last edited:
Marty,

I think we are both assuming that he is dealing with a 12...may not be the case. Still think your right about following the continuity.

What was the resolution of this problem?

Just pulled up this old thread with a search. I have the same problem. Wondering how this one was solved. Anybody know?

My fix!

The problem was a short between the center conductor and the shield of the wire going to the elt. (don't remember the number) Vans and Dynon both said to cut the wire at the back of the connector (I think it was number 21 on the 37pin efis plug. The gps signal is no longer need to the elt. Just check and make sure that's the correct wire at the efis. Once you remove the short, the purple HSI signal will show up.

GPS to ELT

The gps signal is no longer need to the elt.
This is true for the majority of RV-12s. But if you might ever buy the $200 option that enables the ELT to send out your exact GPS position along with the distress signal, then that wire will be needed. That feature would be nice to have if making a forced landing on water or terrain where it is difficult to spot a downed aircraft from the air.
Joe
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/artexnavinterface.php

Progress!

Thanks for the reply. I just returned from the hangar where I checked the 496 set up. The main problem was the Serial Data Format was set to "NMEA In/NMEA Out". It should be set to "Aviation In/NMEA & VHF Out". As soon as I changed it the Dynon presented a magenta message on the HSI page saying that the GPS was looking for satelites. So that tells me communication was taking place. Next test will be to see if a course line appears on the Dynon HSI when I am out of the hangar, recieving GPS signals, and give the GPS a destination. I'll report back.

Back