What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cut Compressor noise 80% with DIY muffler

Bugsy

Well Known Member
I'm tired of buying Motrin, so I built a DIY compressor muffler/silencer.

Iphone decibel app shows 98db stock and 90db with the muffler, plus I get filtered air entering the system.

Cost $23.50 (2 Bottles of Motrin)

Lowes: 1 gal empty paint can, 3/4" PVC connectors, 3/4" hose

Fabric store: loose polyster pillow fill $3.50

IMG_0375_edited.jpg

I packed the fill relatively light about pillow density. No decernable restriction when I breath through the system.

IMG_0371_edited.jpg

IMG_0374_edited.jpg

Holes at the bottom of the can provide the air input.

Last edited:
Way less noise

Put the paint can/air filter outside. (If you can drill a hole in the wall of your shop.)
Most of the noise will be outside, not in where you are.

This reminds me that someone REALLY needs to design an intake to take advantage of intake pulses and the ram air effect. A properly designed airbox with baffles could give us the largest gain in HP for the money. Maybe a true 5+ HP. I just wish I had taken more fluid dynamics classes.

This reminds me that someone REALLY needs to design an intake to take advantage of intake pulses and the ram air effect. A properly designed airbox with baffles could give us the largest gain in HP for the money. Maybe a true 5+ HP. I just wish I had taken more fluid dynamics classes.

were talking about a stationary compressor Sid, i don't think there is going to be any ram air gains! :D intake pulses i don't know. most people ( i guess 99.9%) are happy with the basic performance of their air compressor and pay some extra money in elec bills rather than optimize the performance of their compressor. Thats the conclusion i get from having never heard of anyone trying to optimize the air compressor air box, maybe someone out there has tried it.

Use an automotive muffler

I did that years ago when I got my 2-stage 5 HP compressor, except I used an automotive muffler from Pep Boys that I bought for $15. Made a HUGE difference. Used a molded radiator hose to connect the pump inlet to the muffler and used nylon straps to hold the muffler to the vertical tank. We had a box of surplus clamp-on filters at work from which I liberated one and clamped it on the end of the muffler.

Back