What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What wire for a p-lead?

Buz:

Bob Nuchol's drawings call out for 20 gauge wire, but I went with 18 guage shielded wire.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Terminating Shields

Buz... since the shields are critical on the P-leads, fabricate the shield pigtails using AeroElectric Bob's method or similar

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/pigtail/pigtail.html

Just separating the shield and crimping a terminal on the end of the braid is not the most reliable way to terminated shielded cables... Bob's method using heat shrink looks neater too.

The fancy way with solder sleeves is shown in this Australian document

http://www.casa.gov.au/airworth/awb/02/009attach2.pdf

gil in Tucson

Just fixed some broken shields on my Tiger... they didn't terminate them well at the factory... :(

IMHO, Solder sleeves are the only way to go. Sure they're not cheap (between $.50-$1.50 each), but you'll find that any avionics shop worth their salt usually use solder sleeves to terminate shields. We use a ton of these things on everything from intercoms to the Dynon remote mag harnesses. They come in a myriad of sizes and configurations, we use plain sleeves many times, but we also have a bunch of them with the pigtails already installed so all you have to do is cut the shield, drop a solder sleeve over it, shrink and you're done - instant shield pigtail installed with no mess and a cleanly sealed good looking termination!

Sleeves

Stien ... couldn't find the solder sleeves them on your web site...

Do you sell them? gil in Tucson

I'll try to get them on the website this coming week. We traditionally hadn't sold them because I figured people wouldn't want to pay the price for them, but I'll throw them on under the heatshrink section within the next week.

Cheers,
Stein.

Thanks Sein ... the solder sleeves just are not a normal item at your local electronics store..... :)

gil in Tucson... where one of the two electronics stores turned into a computer repair/sales place... :(

Back