What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

World Changer

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Autumn brings cold fronts sweeping through the Gulf Coast area. The cool, crisp air (courtesy of Canada) brings sunshine, pollen – and great visibility….at least for a day or two before the evil Gulf Moisture reasserts its supremacy and once again surrounds us in haze. But while the good visibility lasts, I like to climb up to ten or fifteen thousand feet as I fly over the coastal islands and look to the horizon. To the east and north, I can see well into Louisiana. To the south and west, well down to Matagorda and beyond. During hurricane season, millions of coastal residents watch the televised predictions of storm tracks, praying and hoping that a tropical low will miss them by just thirty miles (the size of the most destructive wind circle). That seems like such a long way to most – thirty miles…. But here I am, looking out of the top of my canopy as I roll over to survey the earth’s surface and can see four times that distance at one glance. And just fifteen minutes ago, I was sitting on the runway at home…. Airplanes in general, but RV’s in particular, can change your “World View”.

When I was a teenager learning to fly in a J-3 Cub, I remember a solo flight where I decided to climb up to 10,000 feet, just because I could. It took quite awhile, but there I was – high over the Twin Cities of Minnesota, looking down on the entire metropolitan area from edge to edge. Here was a city in which I had spent my school years, a place vast enough to take more than an hour to drive across – yet now I could see it all at once. It was an amazing sight, something that I enjoyed at a level that I simply can’t describe. I believe it is the same reason I love to climb mountains and look back out on the plains beyond. There is something visceral about seeing a larger world, the world beyond the low horizon, which satisfies us to the core.

I remember coming down from that flight and talking to the guys at the airport about it. I was amazed that so many didn’t understand the value of the experience. “Why’d you want to go that high, anyway?” was a common question. Personally, I couldn’t imagine NOT doing so! So many private pilots flying simple and slow airplanes never climb more than a few thousand feet above the surface. They are content to bounce along at low altitudes, struggling with turbulence and heat, their horizons limited to a few tens of miles. There world view is what they can see a few miles ahead, a perspective not much different than a driver on the plains of Nebraska. Ahh….what they are missing!

The RV opens up our world by giving us both speed and altitude capability. It changes your perspective completely. Breakfast on the Mississippi, dinner on the Pacific – nothing to it! A couple of weeks ago, we left Houston just before sunrise, and ended up in northwestern Nevada by mid-afternoon (and would have been on the Oregon coast for supper if not for a little band of weather). A few days later, we launched across the Basin and Range again, and crossed a significant portion of the western expanse in just a few hours on our way to West Texas. The amazing thing about this is that even now, I can see the entire route in my mind’s eye, the memories burned like photographs in my subconscious. I can bring up Google Earth and follow the route saying to myself “yes, I remember that, I was there!” and I can do that with many (if not all) of the routes I have flown throughout my life. I have always said that if you want to hypnotize me, put a map in my hands – I will stare at it until you take it away. Looking at the earth itself is even more mesmerizing.

Travel used to take human beings months. Significant travel could take years. Crossing the Great Plains was an expedition, a life-changing event that usually signified a permanent change – few would undertake the return journey after the hardships of the outbound trek. The Rocky Mountains were an endless chain of hardships – not a pleasant and beautiful site to be crossed in an hour or two. The dry lakebeds between ranges were places of death and skeletons – not inviting emergency landing sites in case of trouble. Cities were visited weeks apart – not ticked off on the half hour as landmarks and turning points to be logged.

It is easy to become jaded by the ease that airline travel permits. Get into an aluminum tube, sit (uncomfortably) for a few hours and get out of the tube a thousand miles away. Maybe you see the world go by, maybe you don’t. But get in an RV and watch the panorama move. Watch all the maps you have ever studied come alive below you. Enjoy the world-changing experience of realizing that you are mastering time and space in a machine you built and now control. This is what travelling in an RV is really about! There are faster and higher flying airplanes, but they seem to disconnect you from the process. There are lower and slower airplanes that hint at what is to come, but only tantalize without satisfying. Having the range, speed and altitude capability to change your perspective on the world in a few short hours is what it’s all about. Once you have travelled in an RV, you and the world will never be the same again – the change is both permanent and profound...it is a change to your World View, it it can never be undone!

IMG_7409.JPG

Last edited:
These are indeed wonderful machines. This last weekend I sort of on a whim flew out to the Black Hills on Saturday and back here to MN on Sunday. About a 1200 mile trip, made short in the RV. Flew over a beautiful cloud deck on the way out, and got a bit of fun on the way home - up high caught a good tailwind and snapped some pics of the gps showing groundspeeds well above the 200kt mark (which is good for me)! The only downside was landing on a perfectly east/west runway with the metar showing winds 180 19G29kts (I snapped a pic of that with the phone as well, because it's not often I choose to land in that kind of xwind)....pretty ugly final approach but not a bad landing....and I didn't even have a nosewheel. :rolleyes:

If you're still building, keep going - you'll LOVE these planes!

Cheers,
Stein

...and when you only have 1 1/2 days available...

...what else can send you three States away, enjoy an Oyster Festival by the sea the same afternoon? Then more lobster and steak dinner, an early Monday morning cup of coffeee, hugs, goodbyes to my son/DIL and grandson, speed home by 9:15 ayem so Jenny can go manage her Huddle House restaurant....yes...the good life...enabled by RV:)

Keep pounding guys/gals,

Paul Please Write A Book

I will buy a copy. Seriously, you should consider. It is difficult to transform technical accomplishments and data into literary work, but you do it well.

Fall is my favorite time of the year, the summer heat is gone and the colors are great to take in.

But like the spring change over, sometimes a south wind really gets wound up with mixed up temperature inversions. Yesterday at 3000' msl it was 66F, at 1300' it was 59 and on the surface, 65 and not one cubic inch of smooth air. Wind was 190/17G20 on RW26R, not too bad but I thought coming down final, watching the speed jump around, this is not a good day for a tail dragger, although I am sure it would be a piece of cake for most guys here. :)

Good write up Paul, sort of a new Jonathan Livingston Seagull in the making - in an RV.

Cool Crisp Aviating

Was 35 degrees Sunday morning last, my wife and went to breakfast 75 miles away with the Sunday Morning Breakfast Club. There were clusters of ground fog patches, the air was so smooth. Joined 28 other airplanes at our destination, a non-flyer asked at breakfast "what so special" about doing this. My answer is while millions are asleep here in Chicago area we are enjoying a perspective few get to appreciate.

"You, sir, whose curiosity is so extensive, will easily conceive with what pleasure a philosopher, furnished with wings, and hovering in the sky, would see the earth and all its inhabitants rolling beneath him..."

-- "Rasselas, Prince of Abyssinia", Samuel Johnson (1759)

Mountain....

Paul
your thread reminds me of the song in the movie "Jeremiah Johnson"

"And I was wondering if you had been to the mountain,
Looked to the valley below,
Did you see all the roads tangled down in the valley;
Did you know which way to go?
Oh the mountain stream runs pure and clear
and I wish to my soul I could always be here;
There's a reason for living way down in the valley
only the mountain knows...."

Jim F,
9A (almost ready for the FAA..)

Yep!

Paul I relate very much to your post.

My family used to make the trek from Carlsbad to Southern California most summers. Seven people in a sedan in the middle of summer. I really hated the trip pressed again my sweaty siblings although I liked the orange trees (1950s) and relatives and Disneyland and the LA Arboretum and Huntington Gardens and all that stuff, once we got there. We would strap the canvas water bag to the grill to have some coolish water and would sometimes travel at night. I still remember the night that was 101 degrees at midnight in Yuma. Usually it was a fairly long two day trip with an overnight in Phoenix.

I would sit in the sweltering car dreaming of a better way. Isn't there a way to just soar over all this hellish heat?

Later when I learned of Al Parker and Wally Scott I even dreamed of using the heat to make an unpowered, single day flight, over the 1,000 mile route.

When I was a teenager, my flight illness rubbed off a bit on my dad, who got a license and briefly owned a C172. One day the two of us went aloft, just to see how high the 172 could go. I don't remember what is was, maybe 15,000 feet or so, but I vividly remember what the earth down there looked like. In my area, the Guadalupe Mountains have bedding planes that make the view look very much like a topographic map and it seemed that we could have glided forever.

When my RV-6 was completed, one of the first things I did was make the flight over this route. It may not have been that first time, but I remember once when I was doing it at 16,500 with flight following and had a flight of F-16s pass to my right and a bit above. Yes, they were faster, but it didn't seem like it was all that much.

Every time I make this flight I think of slogging along in the car and wonder at the difference and the fact that I can leave Carlsbad at a comfortable time in the morning, have a bite in Tucson and get to southern California that same morning relaxed and comfortable and rejuvenated by my magic machine.

Last edited:
Flew up to Colorado last weekend with my son. 9.5 hour drive (according to Google) or 1.5 hour flight. No way to do that trip in a car!!

Last Sunday was the first "cold" morning here in mid-Georgia. 40 deg. or so. I always love the first cold weather flight of the year. Short ground roll then the -9 wing took over and pulled me into the sky as if on the end of a bungee. Incredible rate of climb, no CHT worries, and unlimited vis. :)

20 years later...

Paul,

I too am blessed to have literally thousands of wonderful (and some not-so) memories of 37 years of flying, 20 in my RV4 and HR2. Reading your post brought up several of them, waxing eloquently:)

The Way

Lakeland to Boise in one long day...
Dallas to Lakeland, one hop away...
Dogfight an F-16, she sure can play...
Land on a 600' strip, yes there's a way...
Two vertical rolls and hammerhead you say...
ORF to ABQ for supper, cie bu plei'
Beat the airlines once again, hey!
The best 0.2 of your entire day!

Smokey
HR2

Last edited:
Just want to put in a plug for the joy of flying down low as well. For example, I flew for an hour over Maryland's Eastern Shore yesterday, on a beautiful fall day, never getting higher than 1000 feet. It's always an awesome experience in the fall. You have to bank the RV to see well, which just makes it more fun. [Note: the Eastern Shore is mostly farmland and you could make a forced landing just about anywhere] I saw things like this:

6ozf5l.jpg

10hlvuo.jpg

im34gm.jpg

33cno2d.jpg

Great read, Paul. Thanks for sharing your love and for putting words to it. We all love you for what you bring to the forum.

I've been lurking for a while, and I feel this thread is the best possible place to introduce myself. What Paul describes in beautiful terms is one of those things I absolutely love about flying. I'm a glider pilot (no power rating yet), and one of the most memorable experiences I had so far was sitting at 21000 ft with zero ground speed in the absolutely smooth lift of a mountain wave, deep blue sky above me, mountains and clouds far below me, silence, and the unobstructed view of a glider canopy. Up there I am detached from the rest of the world, a bit like an external observer. Even the -35F temperature (no cabin heat in gliders) became marginal. Flying definitely is world changing!

Now you might be asking what a glider pilot is doing in a forum about power planes. Well ... I've been pondering over building an RV for a couple of years, and now it looks as if I might stay in the same country for more than just two years, so things are getting serious. The flying lessons will come in due course ...

Hendrik

Back