What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Casper Labs Adapter w/K&N Oil Filter

Pat Hatch

Well Known Member
Advertiser
What prompted me to try one of these right angle oil adapters? I guess years of struggling with the straight adapters, but mostly a guy a few hangars down is finishing up his RV-7 and his Bart's O-360 came with one and it is a thing of beauty. Once I saw the setup I knew I had to have one. Yeah, yeah, you can make the straight adapter work just fine and I know all the tricks to keep from making a mess, but this just looks so much more practical to me.

I spoke to the owner and he talked me into trying one of these K&N oil filters, which if you decide to go that route, you will not need a spacer, at least not in the -6 or -7. This filter is shorter, and narrower by about 3/4". The guy's name is Bill Ryan and he is a retired P&W engineer who used to work on jet engines. He tells me that this filter is an aircraft design that K&N inherited, and without going into all of the technical details, it has all of the aviation safety features required for certified engines. However, this is NOT an aircraft certified filter! By the way, this is the 90 degree adapter that Van's sells, and it is also compatible with the Champion 108 filters for those who prefer a certified part.

What I plan to do is to compare my oil analysis trend lines that I have established over 3 years to see if there is any difference with the new adapter and K&N filter after a few oil changes. I'll report back.

I'm curious if there's anyone else out there who's been using this filter and if they have any observations they would like to add to this thread. It would be much appreciated. I will say that Bill seems to think this filter is superior to the larger aviation types at half the cost. I got mine at Advance Auto Parts for $14 and change. Part number is HP-1002.

005.jpg

003.jpg

oil filter

HI,
I like the idea of a filter obviously, having just done my first oil change and screen cleaning!
are there any other options to this $300 little chunk of aluminum?
Sure, I'm almost used to the cost of aircraft parts, but it's not the $14 filter that stops me, it's the spin-on adaptor.
anyone machined their own?
I assume the $200 vernatherm could be deleted, and the standard one left in the case....but wouldn't protect from a plugged filter. ( some ol' saws would say...'then you got bigger problems buddy!...etc.)

any ideas?

HI,

I assume the $200 vernatherm could be deleted, and the standard one left in the case....but wouldn't protect from a plugged filter. ( some ol' saws would say...'then you got bigger problems buddy!...etc.)

any ideas?

Not sure I understand your point completely, but if it's any consolation, the straight adapter you're replacing is worth about $150 on eBay. You would move the Vernatherm and the temperature probe from the old adapter to the new one. Yep, it's not a must-have, just a nice-to-have.

Filters and Thermostats

I assume the $200 vernatherm could be deleted, and the standard one left in the case....but wouldn't protect from a plugged filter.

I'm missing something here. The vernatherm doesn't have anything to do with pressure relief, as in a plugged filter, it is a theromstat for the oil. The filter has a relief built in. And, the last time I looked the vernatherm was in the filter adapter.

Looking at my trusty NAPA cross reference, the K&N HP 1002 is listed for a Geo Metro and several Toyotas, all around 100 cubic inches. I would want to make sure that the relief pressure and flow rates are adequate for a Lycoming three and a half times the engine size.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Casper Labs w/K&N Oil Filter

I have this unit on my RV-9A, O-360-A4M, and have used the K&N HP 1002 filters for two years, 350 hours. My buddy has the certified version (same thing w/paperwork) on his TR2 using a certified filter. Neither of us has had any problems with the Casper Labs filter adapters. I bought a 12 filter case of the K&Ns on the internet for $8 each delivered. Dan.

HP1008 filter

Pat,
I service a SS cub with an O-200A with this filter on it. I cut all filters open after oil changes. when I cut this one open, I found it had all of 1/5 of the filter area of the Champion 108. I have determined thru using it, that I prefer the standard aircraft filters over this one any day. Not much of a filter in my book. By the way, its fairly hard to cut open compared to the champion as its very thin metal.

Back