What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Brakes

Geico266

Well Known Member
I thought I would start a thread about what I ran into with my Matco brakes. You would think these things would work right out of the box, but nooooooooo!

The left side would not allow the caliper assembly to "float". The pins were not adjusted right, so I had to tweak them a little to get it to work properly.

The right side would not bleed. The dude (or dudette) assembling them used way too much o-ring grease and it would not allow the brake fluid to flow, even under pressure. I took it apart by removing it from the wheel and applying air pressure to the assembly and it finally popped the piston out. I cleaned it out a little, left the piston 1/8" exposed (protruding from flush) and reassembled, and it bled just fine.

After tweaking the brakes I used the pressure method or bleeding and it went smooth as silk. I would have been done in 10 mins if the calipers were good out of the box. :cool:

Here is a link to the best way to bleed brakes. I use compressed air, but I do not recommend it for the faint of heart, or those who do not know what they are doing.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=33493&highlight=Brake+bleeding

Last edited:
Back