I really like the sticker on the back of the baggage compartment that says EXPERIMENTAL
- it (ok, the certificate) gives us the ability to try new things (within reason) and see how they pan out. I have already done this to varying degrees with things like headsets, nav lights, landing lights, interior lights, canopies, O2 systems and trackers. For the most part, they have worked out well and saved me a few bux in the process.
My latest musings were around a plenum
for engine cooling. My cooling has always been OK, but I have always thought it could be better. So I set out to copy some plenum
designs I have seen here and on the web. My only criteria were to make it reversible in case I liked the baffle seals better, and it had to be pretty cheap to make. I only have about $60 into the design, so I think I have that one covered. The reversible design worked out OK, too, but I think it led to a less than optimal inlet design.
Here is the finished product:
I started with a sheet of 2" stryo from Aviation Depot and started shaping with a surform and 40grit paper. The goal was to have the plenum
fit inside the standard baffles and use the same holes for mounting.
Shape, fit, repeat. When I got close, I started fitting the upper cowl for clearance. Once it was shaped and I got a good fit, I blew off the dust and covered it in packing tape, and paste waxed it for good release.
I mixed up the EZ Poxy (good thermal properties) and applied 5 layers of 9 oz cheapo Fg cloth I found on sale at Av Depot.
I popped it off the mold, and trimmed the edges. Then, I fit it to the baffle sides and molded the ramps in place on the plane.
More to come in Part II.....................