What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air Compressor pressure regulator value.

philcam

Well Known Member
I have the Craftsman Professional 25 gal. Air Compressor, 1.8 hp. It is this model here:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...&+Air+Tools&sName=Air+Compressors+&+Inflators

Twice in the past month, the pressure regulator valve has failed. First it was the original Sears one that came on the tank and the second one was a Kobalt brand from Lowe's.

It seems like the o-rings are getting blown out. When the tank starts building pressure, air is leaking out around the knob that adjusts the pressure. This causes the pump to run constantly to keep the pressure in the tank up.

I can't understand why this part keeps failing. I've had this compressor for almost two years. Am I doing something wrong, or should I be looking at something else that is causing the part to break?

Thanks!
Phil

I have the Craftsman Professional 25 gal. Air Compressor, 1.8 hp. It is this model here:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...&+Air+Tools&sName=Air+Compressors+&+Inflators

Twice in the past month, the pressure regulator valve has failed. First it was the original Sears one that came on the tank and the second one was a Kobalt brand from Lowe's.

I can't understand why this part keeps failing. I've had this compressor for almost two years. Am I doing something wrong, or should I be looking at something else that is causing the failure?

Thanks!
Phil

Phil,

Do you have a moisture/water issue? We have a 25 gallon Craftsman at the hangar that makes serious water.

-d-

Last edited:
Darrell!

Hey how have you been!?

Yes, my tank seems to make lots of water. I do have an inline filter on the tank, however, when I drain the tank there is tons of water. Also, if I use the little pull-pin pressure release value to lower tank pressure, I can see the condensation in the air looks almost like a mini fog cloud blowing out.

Take care!
Phil

Darrell!

Hey how have you been!?

Yes, my tank seems to make lots of water. I do have an inline filter on the tank, however, when I drain the tank there is tons of water. Also, if I use the little pull-pin pressure release value to lower tank pressure, I can see the condensation in the air looks almost like a mini fog cloud blowing out.

Take care!
Phil

Install a water separator in front of the regulator... should solve the problem.

Hope to see you soon... flying in with the RV...:)

-d-

Drain daily

In a shop environment, the compressors are blown down (drained) daily with additional draining when its humid. The main goal is to keep rust from forming in the tank but drier air is a plus.. and rusty air is not going to make the paint job any better..

Filters/driers at line ends are used whenever a dry stream is required (tools, painting and not shooting wet air over machine tools) because the pressure drop in the lines will also promote condensation at the nozzle.

The little valves on the bottom of most consumer compressors are pretty lame and discourage regular maintenance. A ball valve on the drain makes things easy. Run some plastic tube outside and blast away daily.

Back