What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Trio 2-Axis Autopilot Officially Announced

They did not just hint at it, they had a prototype there.
I had it in my hot little hands and was headed out the door before they stopped me and demanded it back.
Reluctantly, I did so..
I did promise to have a new one in my plane this year summer.
Best,

Kahuna:

Did you talk to them about potential upgrade paths? Nothing mentioned on their site.

I just got off the phone with Jerry after a lengthy discussion. For an upgrade, if you already have two servos, is going to be right at $2,500.00. The one thing we GRT users are going to like is ARINC 429. It will fit in the same hole as the EZ Pilot but will require new wiring of the harness. If you have EZ1, 2 or 3 altitude you will no longer need the push button nor altitude knob. If you have the 2 or 3 you will no longer need the separate electronic box and the pitot/static lines will go directly into the new head.

Exciting company, exciting news!!

I spoke with them as well. If you have the servos you could buy the new unit for about $2500 which is the normal cost of the new unit less the servos. They said that after their current backlog is satisfied, they "may" consider an upgrade plan from the existing units. Currently the new unit has the same capabilities as the existing units together so there is no need to upgrade if all you need is the current capabilities. The new unit will have additinal features in the future, including vertical nav, that will not be available in the current units. The new unit has a single 37 pin connector and the pitot/static connections so it will need totally new wiring and possibly some changes to the pitot/static plumbing. I saw it at SnF as well and it looks very nice. The best part, I think, is the new form factor that will reduce panel space requirements.

For me it would be an upgrade. I have the Ez Pilot but I don't have an altitude hold unit (yet). That's really the biggest regret I have on the plane...I should have installed one from the get-go.

So now my problem is which altitude hold to install. This is why I was waiting on some new information from Trio.

Looks like I would basically have to buy a whole new unit. Man, that thing looks sweet and I'm sure it flies the airplane great, but I can get a basic altitude hold by paying $750 for the Dynon servo when they ship in August.

For me it would be an upgrade. I have the Ez Pilot but I don't have an altitude hold unit (yet). That's really the biggest regret I have on the plane...I should have installed one from the get-go.

So now my problem is which altitude hold to install. This is why I was waiting on some new information from Trio.

Looks like I would basically have to buy a whole new unit. Man, that thing looks sweet and I'm sure it flies the airplane great, but I can get a basic altitude hold by paying $750 for the Dynon servo when they ship in August.

I have the Trio EZ Pilot "wing leveler", as well as the Tru Trak altitude A/P (Alt Trak). After flying several other 2- axis A/P RV's, I knew that I'd also regret it big-time, if I didn't add altitude! :D

L.Adamson
RV-6A N328SL

Back