What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3 kids in the back??

teookie

When I first got interested in RV's I was dead set on the -7. At the end of last year, I moved my kids 2000 miles away from grandma and grandpas house so now my mission has changed to cross-country travel with the family, and the -10 is starting to look more appealing.

My issue is that (according to the misses) my family will likely expand beyond the standard seating capacity of even the -10 :eek:. So my question is, would it be possible to build a bench seat in the back with enough room for three kids under 10 yrs old?

That shouldn't be a big issue. I've seen comments about a bench seat on this and the Matronics forums before.
John

5-place aircraft!

This can be done so long as you provide a seat belt for each passenger. You might want to talk with your insurance agent. This will now be considered a 5-place aircraft. Could affect premiums noticeably.

Long body Mooneys can have three belts in the back for kids so I'm sure there's enough room in the -10 with proper seat/belt design.

Anyone have a guess as to how this will effect final inspection and registration as it's a design departure from Van's 4 seat design?? Will they even care? I've heard of -6's with a kids seat in the baggage area so it's obviously not 'verbotten' to call a 2 seater a 3 seater.

3 kids elbow to elbow for 2000 miles! Good luck:D Might want to design moms seat in the middle back and put 1 kid up front for separation!

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'll keep the -10 in the running for now.

3 kids elbow to elbow for 2000 miles! Good luck:D Might want to design moms seat in the middle back and put 1 kid up front for separation!

I can honestly say that I had not thought of this yet. :rolleyes: I must say that is an excellent point that must not be ignored!!

re:5 seats

I don't remember the guy's name or where he was from, but, last year at OSH I visited with a disabled vet who had built a -10. He had 3 "seats" with belts in the back seat for his kids. He also had the airplane for sale for $265,000.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM
fuse/cabin cover

Mate!

A quick trip to the Doctor and snip snip.....your problems are solved!

Of course she may choose to sub-contract out that task and your problem will reappear!:cool:

So there is no way to convince her otherwise! Well leave her at home when you do the ferry flights......see what she thinks about that!:D

Only obvious problem I can see is how you are going to keep all those kids from growing up? It happens much faster than you expect and then all of a sudden you have 3 teen-agers or at least 2 teen-agers and a 10 year old....and you haven't even started your RV. And with 2 or 3 kids you might not have as much time to devote to building and it is going to take a few years to build a -10 at that rate. Just something else to consider.

Back