- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:03 PM

Default ?Golf Clubs?

Can the bulkhead at the backof the baggage compartment in an RV7 be cut and a "tunnel" box be built extending into the fuselage in order to carry golf clubs?...and does in present an aft CG problem? I'm sure I'm not the only person that has ever wanted to carry golf clubs, skiis, fishing rods, etc. in an RV. I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Fox
Old 04-22-2008, 12:26 PM

In my RV-6, I could fit two sets of clubs, the bags, and baggage all in the baggage compartment. I took the clubs out of the bags and layed the bags flat on the floor. The clubs could wedge in between the lower corner of the seat back up to the opposite rear corner of the canopy. Travel bags went on top of that.

My son and I went on multiple golfing trips this way.

www.pflanzer-aviation.com
Paid through 2043!
Lund fishing Boat, 2017, GONE FISHING
RV-12 - Completed 2014, Sold
427 Shelby Cobra - Completed 2012, Sold
F1 EVO - partially completed, Sold
F1 Rocket - Completed 2005, Sold
RV-7A - Partially completed, Sold
RV-6 - Completed 2000, Sold
Long-EZ - Completed 1987, Sold

Old 04-22-2008, 12:26 PM

The RV-6 that I purchased has one of these. Don't see any CG problems as long as the CG station and moment are appropriately calculated for both the construction of the tube and what you are putting in it. Of course any ski/club tube you construct will tell you where you are with regards to the CG loading envelope when you weigh the plane if you add one during the build.

Gotta remember to put the club heads at the front of the tube, generally keep the weight as far forward as possible, and consider any loss of useful load for the baggage compartment if you use the tube.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:30 PM

Default I asked Vans this question....

As it would have been a "no-go" issue for me if not possible. Their answer was "yes" if you make sure there is no elevator pushrod interference and W&B is tended to.

I ran some rough numbers and was convinced this can work from a W&B standpoint if provisions are made to keep the clubheads (most of the weight) over the existing baggage compartment. FWIW, my typical stand bag with a full set of clubs is about 22 lbs.

If you search the forums you'll find examples of a least a couple of builders who have done this - one that made a "tunnel" and one that made a "nest" of "golf club tubes". The tunnel variant is here: http://www.vansairforce.net/BuilderM...nt_skirack.htm
Old 04-22-2008, 07:30 PM

Exclamation

I modified mine by adding a lower door on one side and enclosing the area by adding a panel in the center and then closing the bulkhead behind the baggage wall. That way nothing can get to the rudder cables or aileron pushtube. Not much weight added. Heads go in the baggage area. Easily handles two sets of clubs in travel bags. Lots of room but,.....

having said that, I asked Vans later (why always later) if it was OK and here is what Gus said: Usual soft disclaimer but no absolute red flags unless you consider "it's better not to modify it" a red flag ?? I called them as well and I did not sense any concern on his part but he wouldn't say it was actually OK.

Gus at Vans wrote:

>> "The baggage bulkhead is a structural part, so it's better not to modify it, though it has been done by other builders, apparently without problems.
Some reinforcement around the cut out and on the bulkhead to restore the lost strength is probably a good idea. We don't have the resources to analyze the effects of cutting a hole in it, and how to reinforce the cut out, so you just have to do what looks about right to you. "" >>

So should you do it,.... sounds like we're being a little experimental but it's real easy to replace the lower bulkhead if it's an issue. Be careful what you do 'cause it's up to you! NOT recommending anything here, just show and tell and notes from Vans.

Bill S
7a Finishing
Old 04-23-2008, 06:50 AM

Default Baggage Mod

Fox,
I did mine similar to Bill only not as deep. I figured that worst case, I could take the clubs out of the travel bag if I had to get two sets in. I really did it more for long guns as my son and I plan to travel back to Iowa hunting when it's done.

If you look at my January '08 entries in my kitlog there are quite a few pictures. I haven't updated lately so if you need some more, let me know.
SERFI 2013 Awards
Inspection Complete!!! 7/7/12
First Flight 7/22/12
Old 04-23-2008, 06:22 PM

Interesting the input that Bill S. received. When I asked Van's they mentioned nothing about structural issues, only CG and control systems.

I wonder what the structural function of the sheet metal portion of the bulkhead is? I could see how it would affect the torsional rigidity e.g. if all the sheet metal were removed, but it seems like it is mostly provided to keep objects out of the control runs.

Any aircraft structures guys out there?
Old 04-23-2008, 07:39 PM

If I remember correctly a number of years ago Van's stated that that bulk-head was structural and not to fly without it in place and screwed down.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:29 PM

Default Arrrrggghhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman CYYJ View Post
If I remember correctly a number of years ago Van's stated that that bulk-head was structural and not to fly without it in place and screwed down.
I guess that's what I get for not asking Van's the question specifically enough. Looks like some structural engineering will be needed.

In another thread, Mel A. stated the bulkhead is structural for TORSIONAL loads. If that's the case, it would seem helpful to put the opening near the center of the bulkhead cross-section, to minimize the impact.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:11 PM

Default Hhhmmmmm

I just walked out and looked at mine again. In the area where I cut the door, (see above) there are only 4 screws on the outside edge and two screws on the center section. If there was a LOT of structual load or torsional load, I would think it would be more like one screw every inch instead of every 4 or 5 inches.

What I removed was one corner of a bulkhead made up of four squares. Each piece adding it's own structual support and more as a single piece unit. Now it is not quite a single piece. How much does the center piece and rear bulkhead make up for the hole in the front,.... don't know.

I think if it were a serious issue, Gus would be jumping up and down but they seem to be saying,..... ohh, just don't really know and have no way to test so best leave it be. The fact that sometimes they mention the structual piece and sometimes they don't,...seems to say it isn't a red flag to everyone everytime. CG is real issue if you put weight in the back but not if loaded properly.

Just my .02

Bill S