What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy safety question

Steve Brown

Well Known Member
My 9A has a tip-up canopy. For flight, I normally latch the side latch, but leave the overhead latch unlocked. I do this for safety reasons because in an accident I want fewer things to figure out to exit the airplane. Also, I want someone on the outside to be able to open it in an emergency.

I assumed the air stream would keep the canopy down hard. In fact, there is no indication in flight of any forces trying to open the canopy.

After reading the thread on a recent Lancair crash, suspected to be caused by an open canopy, I'm having real serious second thoughts about this strategy.

Any experiences with canopy opening in flight, leaving it unlatched, theory, actual, etc - all appreciated.

If the tip-up canopy on an RV is left unlatched, it will float up about 6-8". The airplane will fly fine. It's happened to several, including Tony Bingelis.

My 9A has a tip-up canopy. For flight, I normally latch the side latch, but leave the overhead latch unlocked. I do this for safety reasons because in an accident I want fewer things to figure out to exit the airplane. Also, I want someone on the outside to be able to open it in an emergency.

I assumed the air stream would keep the canopy down hard. In fact, there is no indication in flight of any forces trying to open the canopy.

After reading the thread on a recent Lancair crash, suspected to be caused by an open canopy, I'm having real serious second thoughts about this strategy.

Any experiences with canopy opening in flight, leaving it unlatched, theory, actual, etc - all appreciated.

Steve, if you read the Lancair thread you saw my post about departing S-N-F with the canopy in the taxi position.

You might as well just remove the safety latch if you wish to continue your present line of reasoning.........

I feel certain the reason for the safety latch is to prevent the canopy from popping open several inches inflight if for some reason the primary latch failed or was disengaged. Even though the plane is controllable, a suddenly open canopy might very well scare the living daylights out of someone who wasn't expecting such an event. The danger lies in a distracted pilot having to deal with an event that the safety latch could have prevented.

I've never heard of a tipup pilot who doesn't routinely check to make sure the safety latch is engaged prior to flight. Don't worry.....if emergency personnel need to get into your plane, they will get into the plane. No time will be wasted fiddling with latches.......a latch is no match for a crash ax hitting the canopy!

Last edited:
I second Mel's report... a tip-up will open 6-8" in flight. (It seems like a lot more though!) You have to slow the plane to effectively grab and lower it. How slow? Don't know for sure but I recall it's in the 80 kias range.

I have a data point re: this....

snip....I feel certain the reason for the safety latch is to prevent the canopy from popping open several inches inflight ...snip

I have a data point regarding this.

I got distracted once and took off with the main latch open and the safety latch closed. Canopy stayed down (rails bent up about an eight of an inch and I could feel a breeze - how I discovered it).

I climbed to a safe altitude, slowed down and latched the canopy.

My before-launch VERBAL checklist (to myself) since then is:

"GIFT STP* Canopy Canopy Belt Belt Controls"
gas (select on fullest tank)
instruments (baro set)
flaps (up)
trim (set)

strobes (if solo or last wingman)
transponder (on if lead - off if wingman)
pump (on)
I say CANOPY out loud twice to remind me to check both the safety and main latches. BELT twice to check belts on me (and passenger). CONTROLS is to check free and full throw on all four corners of the stick.

If I get distracted I start over (helps cover the 'killer' items).

How I do it...

d

Sometimes safety is about picking lessor evils

Steve, if you read the Lancair thread you saw my post about departing S-N-F with the canopy in the taxi position.

You might as well just remove the safety latch if you wish to continue your present line of reasoning.........

I feel certain the reason for the safety latch is to prevent the canopy from popping open several inches inflight if for some reason the primary latch failed or was disengaged. Even though the plane is controllable, a suddenly open canopy might very well scare the living daylights out of someone who wasn't expecting such an event. The danger lies in a distracted pilot having to deal with an event that the safety latch could have prevented.

I've never heard of a tipup pilot who doesn't routinely check to make sure the safety latch is engaged prior to flight. Don't worry.....if emergency personnel need to get into your plane, they will get into the plane. No time will be wasted fiddling with latches.......a latch is no match for a crash ax hitting the canopy!

Understood. Its a relief to hear the RV remains controllable if the canopy opens! On the other hand, the fact that it is controllable makes the safety latch a decision rather than mandatory.

Its about what thing is more likely to happen or too kill you if it does. The seatbelt which keeps you from being killed on impact may trap you in the vehicle in the event of fire. One is more likely to be killed with impact without a seatbelt rather than by being then trapped during a fire with a seatbelt, so wearing one is safest.

By the way, I'm thinking in terms of the average person trying to get us out without a fire suit or an ax.

Sounds like its a trade between the danger of entrapment after an accident and the danger of pilot distraction in flight.

Like most pilots I've had doors open in flight. The first was during my first solo flight in a C152. My instructor had already programed me to ignore an open door in flight and take care of it on the ground. No big deal, but I get the impression that an RV canopy opening 6"-to-8" in flight is a bit more intimidating.

What I know from reading accident reports and from having it pounded home by that same primary instructor, is that it is not the distraction of the open door that kills pilots, its the distraction of trying to close the door.

Also, I'm wondering what pushes it open against the air steam. I wonder if the cabin air vents were closed if the canopy would settle some or all the way???????? I wonder if the reason it opens at all is because of the high angle of attack during takeoff. Would it stay closed completely at cruise speed??????

Its also not just what, but when. Up till now I only use the safety latch when we are going to unbuckle to pee at altitude. Risk of entrapment - nil, consequence of open & subsequent torn off canopy - death. Its an easy choice.
Dealing with an open canopy after takeoff on a VFR day is way different that having it pop open during an instrument approach to minimums and having your plates sucked out the gap. So, my conclusion might be to expand the times when I have it latched, but not necessarily as wide as for all flying.

Anyway, I'm definitely rethinking my reasoning on this subject - so all the inputs and experiences are appreciated. Hopefully the thread will benefit others as well.

I would guess that the reason the canopy opens slightly in flight when unlatched is due to lower airpressure over the top due to local air flow. I don't think that the cabin vents would have any major effect on the amount of opening. I have never had mine unlatched in flight, but I have had doors open in flight on C-172's, JetRangers, B-18's and they seem to do the same thing (stay open a couple of inches). It is pretty diffucult to open them much further due to impact airflow. I would think that at any reasonable speed, it would be pretty much impossible to fall out/egress from a tipup. There have been many crashes in all types of aircraft due to open doors and the pilot tying to close them. I figure the safest thing to do, if a door opens, is to land and close it. As far as the secondary latch, I usually don't use mine, but it can't hurt IMHO.

Drew is correct. It is the low air pressure over the canopy that opens it. It's the same principal that allows you to fly.

Back