What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Trio user question

buz

Well Known Member
I have just finished the install of a Trio autopilot and ez-3 alt hold in a flying rv-6.
My question is should I need to adjust the clutch force on the elevator or is it usually good from the factory?

My elevator servo seems "weak", the aileron seems "firm", but able to override easily.

Any comments?

I have just finished the install of a Trio autopilot and ez-3 alt hold in a flying rv-6. My question is should I need to adjust the clutch force on the elevator or is it usually good from the factory?

I have the same setup in my RV-6 and did not need to adjust the clutch. A couple of times I have seen the "clutch slip" message pop up during testing the system, but never in normal flight.

My EZ 11 (with auto trim) pitch servo was also easy to over ride in comparison to the roll servo. I ended up having to adjust up the pitch clutch servo as I was getting too many clutch slip messages in flight and the system was not operating as it should. After the adjustment it worked perfectly.

Fin 9A

My roll servo needed considerable clutch tightening, but the pitch servo was right on. Seems like something that you may have to do for your own setup. Great AP; love it!

Bob Kelly

Thanks for the quick replies

Seems a slight tweaking is in order before I fly.

Buz,

It's hard to make an adjustment BEFORE you fly!
I would suggest you wait until you check it out in normal flight
and adjust as necessary.
Mine needed no changes and I've only seen the clutch slip warning once and we were enroute over the Colorado plains getting some serious turbulence from the Rockies.
Good Luck!

Seems a slight tweaking is in order before I fly.

I would strongly recommend you wait until after some test flights before deciding to "tweak". Tweaking might result in creating a problem when none existed. :)

Keep in mind that only a tiny amount of elevator movement is required for the pitch servo to do its thing. There is no need to have a tight clutch on the pitch servo.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input,

Is it ok to fly the plane with the rear panels removed to facilitate an adjustment, if needed, or is this panel structural?

I would of course make sure there are no loose objects that could get back there.
Just dont want to remove all those screws again if I don't have too.

Thanks for the input,

Is it ok to fly the plane with the rear panels removed to facilitate an adjustment, if needed, or is this panel structural?

I would of course make sure there are no loose objects that could get back there.

DO NOT FLY THE PLANE WITHOUT THE BAGGAGE BULKHEAD!

This component is a major contributor to the structural integrity of the fuse.

Jamie, get a 6" phillips driver bit for your cordless drill, that will make it much easier to remove the screws in the bulkhead flange on the floor. The other screws can be quickly removed/inserted with the cordless drill, especially if you set the clutch to slip when the screws are tight. Another thing I like to have on hand is one of those metal "dog dishes" with a magnet in the bottom of it. As you remove the screws, toss them in the dish and it will keep them from finding secret places in the bottom of your plane. :)

I really don't think you are going to need to adjust the clutch on the servo, but you do need to take a good look at the servo installation after a very few hours of flight just to make sure all is as it should be.

Back