What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 10 Door Strut

Are you trying to collapse them by hand, or are they installed and you can not get the door to lower?

By hand. We haven't installed them because they won't collapse. Worried they might be faulty.

Don’t worry, you won’t be using them very long. The stock ones will start to lose their effectiveness and you’ll be hitting your head upon entry (I’m 6’ 2”) soon after install. Use them until then, then go for the 700 N ones, that do not lose their effectiveness over time as much. No droop after 3 yrs.

They do take a surprising amount of force to compress, but they should compress if you put all your weight on them. IIRC I couldn’t compress them by just pushing with one hand on each end.
Edit. Yes, if you put anything extra (more weight) on the door (e.g., upholstry) you’d like to have slightly higher pressure struts. The stock struts also tend to come to an abrupt stop at full open. If you shop around you can find some that have extra damping just as the door comes full open, leading to a smoother stop at full up.

Last edited:
Something is definitely wrong with them. My husband is very strong and he's putting all his weight behind it, and can't budge them at all.

...If you shop around you can find some that have extra damping just as the door comes full open, leading to a smoother stop at full up.
I've read this comment a few times but haven't seen any brand/model number information.

Which struts have this dampening action?

The door hinges are tricky to install, you have to minutely look at the picture in the construction manual. I with experienced technician took almost 10 attempts to figure out right way and then only door opening and closing became smooth

We're working on the door struts. They won't collapse. Any tips?

After approx. 100 hours my door struts (original from VANs) became weak, they are still fully functional but now I have to actually push my door up to the top. It still hold door well but definitely not as it was a year back.
I am thinking or replacing these - what would be the good and cost effective substitute ? Please recommend. Thanks!

After approx. 100 hours my door struts (original from VANs) became weak, they are still fully functional but now I have to actually push my door up to the top. It still hold door well but definitely not as it was a year back.
I am thinking or replacing these - what would be the good and cost effective substitute ? Please recommend. Thanks!

I can get you the part number of my stronger lift struts if you want to go that way Vlad. I'll have to dig out the receipt but I bought mine online.

-Marc

I can get you the part number of my stronger lift struts if you want to go that way Vlad. I'll have to dig out the receipt but I bought mine online.

-Marc

Marc I actually was impressed how strong struts in your 10 are. Please share the part number if available - I still have time to buy for my RV another Christmas gift ;)
Thank you !

This is what we installed and they have damping at the end of the stroke. They have slightly larger end fittings, which is fine for the standard Vans strut bracket but too thick for the after market brackets.

Attachments

• This is what is fitted B1B1F50.100.298.0XX.600N Config Sheet.pdf
    57 KB · Views: 65
US Distributor and catalog

https://store.easylift.com/about-us/

I went with B0N0F50- series. Not sure of dampening differences. Easier to machine a separate end cap (B1 M8 Hinge Eye Endfitting) was my thought process.

FYI

Attachments

• gas-springs.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Marc I actually was impressed how strong struts in your 10 are. Please share the part number if available - I still have time to buy for my RV another Christmas gift ;)
Thank you !

Hi Vlad, I'll get that for you today!

-Marc

Back