What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trouble fitting the WD-01021-L-1 gear mount

abaden

I'm currently slow building the RV-10 fuselage and have had to comply with SB-00007 as part of the mid-fuse bulkheads. The SB is the remediation procedure for the cracking described in SL-00003. For my kit, I needed to enlarge the holes in the center section to match the new landing gear mounts.

Ok, so the hole enlarging went fine and I can easily slide all the bolts in the center section holes. The right side landing gear mount also went fine, but I am having a terrible time with the left side. Specifically, the AN3 bolts that go across the top of the landing gear mount across the top of the bulkhead will not line up. Everything else (the AN4 bolts, AN5 at the corner, and two AN3 bolts at the offshoot down at the bottom) are fine. The overlap/misalignment is not huge, but enough to see when looking straight down through the gear mount holes. I've put the gear mounts next to each other and it's possible there is a slight bend in the left one, but I could also be seeing things.

I am talking with Vans support but was curious if anyone else has encountered this, either during the SB on a flying plane or on a slow build fuse.

Thanks,
Alex

Have you ensured that opening that the gear slides into (on the bottom of the mount) easily fits through the hole in the bottom of the fuselage? It was very tight for me too. Once I enlarged the holes on the bottom of the fuse everything eventually fit well. That being said the bolts that go through the bulkhead do fit really really tightly. I used Boelube on the bolts (not threads!) to get them to slide in easier.

I should have added, this is just the test fit during mid-fuse bulkhead construction.

The fit on the right is nice and snug, but on the left I can visibly see mis-alignment between the gear mount and the bulkhead on those ~5 AN3 bolt holes with the other holes aligned, which is why I am concerned even though the gear mount install doesn't happen for a few more sections.

I'm currently slow building the RV-10 fuselage and have had to comply with SB-00007 as part of the mid-fuse bulkheads. The SB is the remediation procedure for the cracking described in SL-00003. For my kit, I needed to enlarge the holes in the center section to match the new landing gear mounts.

Ok, so the hole enlarging went fine and I can easily slide all the bolts in the center section holes. The right side landing gear mount also went fine, but I am having a terrible time with the left side. Specifically, the AN3 bolts that go across the top of the landing gear mount across the top of the bulkhead will not line up. Everything else (the AN4 bolts, AN5 at the corner, and two AN3 bolts at the offshoot down at the bottom) are fine. The overlap/misalignment is not huge, but enough to see when looking straight down through the gear mount holes. I've put the gear mounts next to each other and it's possible there is a slight bend in the left one, but I could also be seeing things.

I am talking with Vans support but was curious if anyone else has encountered this, either during the SB on a flying plane or on a slow build fuse.

Thanks,
Alex

That's interesting. I was at that point when the SB came out, and I was advised that there was no reason to do the SB unless the airplane had been flying and cracks were found.

I was a little confused myself -- basically, my kit came up with the SB instructions and drill guides, and the new landing gear mount. The new gear mount is what is shipping with new kits based on the updated plans on Vans website, but I guess all the parts have not caught up yet, so some additional drilling is required.

Have you ensured that opening that the gear slides into (on the bottom of the mount) easily fits through the hole in the bottom of the fuselage? It was very tight for me too. Once I enlarged the holes on the bottom of the fuse everything eventually fit well. That being said the bolts that go through the bulkhead do fit really really tightly. I used Boelube on the bolts (not threads!) to get them to slide in easier.

I went back and looked again -- I thought I had trimmed the bulkhead flange enough to allow the gear tube to pass through, but evidently I had not. That little bit of flange pushing on the tube was enough to prevent the gear mount from sitting flush and cause my problem. Now both gear mounts sit flush, and while the bolts are pretty tight, they do eventually make their way all the way through. Thanks for the tip!

Back