What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AVMAP IV VS Garmin 296

Larry

Does anyone have any feeling about which GPS is better for the bucks? The Garmin 296 or AVMAP IV. With no experience with either, I favor the AVMAP IV only because of its larger display. I am building a night VFR aircraft.

I think the AVMAP has a lot of nice features but you might want to pop over to their website and read through their forums. Last time I was there the users weren't happy about some announcement that had been made. That's been a month or two though.

svanarts said:
I think the AVMAP has a lot of nice features but you might want to pop over to their website and read through their forums. Last time I was there the users weren't happy about some announcement that had been made. That's been a month or two though.

My priority #1 was the terrain database as well as the obsticle/terrain warning features. This is where the AVMAP wasn't keeping up with Garmin when I purchased the 296.

However, it's been at least a month, since I've read the AVMAP forum site.

L.Adamson

Have you looked at the lowrance 2000c. Big screen, Color, great price and nice features. I picked one up at Sun n' Fun for $750 and I am very happy with it.

Garmin 296 vs. ?

One useful feature of the 296 is the panel page. A friend of mine (ex navy pilot) and I have found we can fly IFR very comfortably and safely on this page, probably due to the 5/sec update with WAAS. Given the long battery life the unit has (it really is long) this is a great back up even if everything in your airplane quits. Certainly better than nothing. Oh, it (296) is also great in your car if you aquire the auto kit. I love my 296 but don't know anything re the AVMAP IV. Have fun! Bill Dicus

L.Adamson said:
My priority #1 was the terrain database as well as the obsticle/terrain warning features. This is where the AVMAP wasn't keeping up with Garmin when I purchased the 296.

L.Adamson

AvMap is moving ahead....Take a look below:

Avmap2big.jpg

I have one of each, so I can at least provide some insight from both. Yes, the 296 panel page is nice, but overall now that the AvMap has terrain depiction it is my favorite. The display is much larger, more detailed, and the terrain is like looking at the MX-20. Instead of being blocky, it's shaded. .

Now for the negatives of the AvMap. When running that high resolution terrain, you can only use it with "north up" instead of course up. Not a big deal for people like me who alway fly with North Up. Also, they call it "terrain awareness" not avoidance. So, it doesn't give you specific warnings, but then again, this is a VFR unit, so you're not "technically" supposed to be relying on it's terrain warnings during VFR flight.....

Anyway, both are nice units and you'll be happy with either of them. I like both of mine, I just like the bigger screen of the AvMap a little better (being a 4 eyed spectacle wearer).

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein.

Turn-by-Turn directions?

The 296 has turn by turn driving directions. Does the AvMap? I don't know. If not, that's helpful at unfamiliar fields when you're trying to find food or a car, etc.

Avmap

L.Adamson

Thats a BS statement. Garmin has not updated their terrain database in a very long time. Avmap have the same database.

I fly commercially and at night 85% of the time and Avmap is great as far as Im concerned. Let use facts only when trying to inform others.

And to the person flying VFR night, you have a little VFR & IFR training by now try using charts to help you understand your MSA inroute. Even VFR are required to follow this!!

AvMap is moving ahead....Take a look below:

Avmap2big.jpg

I have one of each, so I can at least provide some insight from both. Yes, the 296 panel page is nice, but overall now that the AvMap has terrain depiction it is my favorite. The display is much larger, more detailed, and the terrain is like looking at the MX-20. Instead of being blocky, it's shaded. .

Now for the negatives of the AvMap. When running that high resolution terrain, you can only use it with "north up" instead of course up. Not a big deal for people like me who alway fly with North Up. Also, they call it "terrain awareness" not avoidance. So, it doesn't give you specific warnings, but then again, this is a VFR unit, so you're not "technically" supposed to be relying on it's terrain warnings during VFR flight.....

Anyway, both are nice units and you'll be happy with either of them. I like both of mine, I just like the bigger screen of the AvMap a little better (being a 4 eyed spectacle wearer).

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein.

terrain avoidance!! Garmin disclaims, that its pilot responsibility. As Avmap. Its all 'terrain awareness" GPS is awareness unless its panel mounted and Cert'ed by Part 145 repair station. But that still make it awareness, as the start up page on Garmin will state.

Welcome!!!!!!

Thats a BS statement.

Paul, first off, welcome to VAF.

Second, as to your statement quoted above, are you aware that the posts you are challenging are over 3 years old?

Anyway, as I said before, welcome aboard.

Enjoy the ride:D

Thats a BS statement. Garmin has not updated their terrain database in a very long time. Avmap have the same database.

I fly commercially and at night 85% of the time and Avmap is great as far as Im concerned. Let use facts only when trying to inform others.

And to the person flying VFR night, you have a little VFR & IFR training by now try using charts to help you understand your MSA inroute. Even VFR are required to follow this!!

The post you're referring too, is three years old. I have a Garmin 496 for weather ...... these days. And BTW, it's a lot faster & has higher resolution than my "old" 296. I have no idea what AV map is up to, lately.

L.Adamson

terrain avoidance!!...... GPS is awareness unless its panel mounted and Cert'ed by Part 145 repair station.......

Are ya sure about that!??!?!

Welcome to VAF...what a way to jump in. Trying to antagonize people with responses to subjects now 3 years old is not the most brilliant way to win friends and influence peope.

Cheers,
Stein

Back