Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2020, 10:24 AM

Default Can someone tell me how Van's does this MAP line?

Hello, I pulled this pic from Van's 360 view of the RV-14 engine.

I want to do my manifold pressure line just like they did. It looks like the line is just hose clamped on the left to the MAP sensor but what did they do on the right where it attaches to the engine? I have an AN816 coming out right there, do they just hose clamp the line to it?

Finally, what type of hose is that? Thanks!

1 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 06-20-2020, 11:13 AM

AN840-4D
1/4 ID fuel rated hose

Fitting should have a restrictor added to it if you make your own.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")

Last edited by rvbuilder2002 : 06-20-2020 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbuilder2002 View Post
AN840-4D
1/4 ID fuel rated hose

Fitting should have a restrictor added to it if you make your own.
Scott, do you know if you guys sell one with the restrictor in it? This fitting does not appear to be on the M1B firewall forward list for the RV-7. I'm assuming this is a standard part on the -14. Also, is the Aeroquip hose what you are referring to? Just trying to figure out what I need to order from you guys. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by jcarne : 06-20-2020 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:31 PM

I added my MAP sensor to the three port manifold that also holds the oil and fuel pressure sensors on the firewall. TS Flightlines built a hose for me with a 90 degree fitting for connecting to #4 primer port and put a 45 deg restrictor fitting at the entry to the manifold block. Seemed to me to be the easiest way to mount the sensor.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Scott, do you know if you guys sell one with the restrictor in it? This fitting does not appear to be on the M1B firewall forward list for the RV-7. I'm assuming this is a standard part on the -14. Also, is the Aeroquip hose what you are referring to? Just trying to figure out what I need to order from you guys. Thanks for the help!
I am not Scott but yes they sell the restrictor fitting.

Any fuel / oil hose the correct size will work as long as it has the correct fitting on the ends if a fitting is necessary.

Van's sells a VA-119 manifold pressure hose but it may or not not work with the MAP gauge that you are using.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:26 PM

On my RV-9A with Garmin G3X Touch, there is considerable lag in the manifold pressure reading when changing the throttle, and the reading does not settle down to a steady state once the throttle is fixed but wanders. I'm wondering if the tube is too long between the manifold and the sensor.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ed
Vaccines kept me out of the hospital but COVID still cost me a month of living, all told...
Old 06-20-2020, 05:59 PM

Jereme, the Dynon MAP sensor has a tube stub. So if you use the rubber hose, push it Make a restrictor for the AN840 tube for the #3 cylinder.
Those with teflon hoses and crimped AN hose ends---the restrictor fitting is a no brainer. On the Dynon, side, you can take a short piece of Aeroquip 306-4 and push a male AN fitting in it, and clamp to it and the hose to the Dynon sender.

Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7A Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan, on hold while we develop new products for RV builders
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 06-20-2020, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV6_flyer View Post
I am not Scott but yes they sell the restrictor fitting.

Any fuel / oil hose the correct size will work as long as it has the correct fitting on the ends if a fitting is necessary.

Van's sells a VA-119 manifold pressure hose but it may or not not work with the MAP gauge that you are using.
Ya that fitting is very different than an AN840. I got some of those for my pressure takoffs on fuel/oil but it won't work with this setup unless I go with a flared hose. Something I was trying to avoid just based on cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Flightlines View Post
Jereme, the Dynon MAP sensor has a tube stub. So if you use the rubber hose, push it Make a restrictor for the AN840 tube for the #3 cylinder.
Those with teflon hoses and crimped AN hose ends---the restrictor fitting is a no brainer. On the Dynon, side, you can take a short piece of Aeroquip 306-4 and push a male AN fitting in it, and clamp to it and the hose to the Dynon sender.

Tom
Thanks Tom. Thanks for the email as well. A bit to ponder now.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:12 AM

For anyone else searching this in the future. I found a Van's document here that outlines the parts and steps to install this on the -14.

After much searching the hose part number is EA Hose H175 but is referred to on the -14 install as FF-00008. You can also get the clamps which are part number FF-00010. The hose is 1/4" fuel line like Scott mentioned and appears to be Gates PVC/EEC rated to +257 degrees Fahrenheit.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Flightlines View Post

Tom
As Tom mentioned, it is very easy to adapt to a Dynon MAP with a Teflon hose setup.

In our FWF hose kits, we manufacture a MAP adapter for builders with DYNON avionics. Shown below is an integral Firesleeve FWF hose package with the DYNON MAP hose and adapter. (This is not for an RV). The AN flare side hooks up to a restrictor fitting that is screwed into the engine.

We build a lot of FWF hose kits for the the RV14. Shown below is how you can easily adapt a PMAG setup for the RV14 with a DYNON MAP. The teflon hose connects to a restrictor fitting in the engine. That runs to an AN TEE which splits the line. One end goes toward the single or dual pmags, while the other end connects to the DYNON adapter we manufacture for the MAP hook up.

aircraftspecialty@gmail.com

www.aircraftspecialty.com
www.asflightlines.com