Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2020, 11:37 PM

Default Things happen for a good reason

Last week , on take off , right around 60 knots I felt a slight vibration , I did an RTO and as soon as I exited the runway , the plane felt like it was taxiing on mud , it was after 6 pm , made a few phone calls , no answer , my mechanic said he left and was close to his house , the field is uncontrolled , there was a 172 doing touch and goes , he radioed a phone number which I called right way , within 10 minutes two guys showed up , ED's aircraft refinishing and his buddy Jay , they tried to inflate it but the tube was bad , they went back to their hangar and got me a spare nose wheel , I taxied it back and as soon as I parked , I saw this massive patch of Fog rolling in ( unforcasted ) I kid you not , within 15 minutes the field was IFR , 200 ft ceiling , mist and 1/4 mile visibility , im glad I didn't fly that day , I am instrument rated but the airplane is not ! I was planing on doing a night flight with a landing/taxiback at JFK . Things happen for a good reason , I stayed at the airport untill 20:30 , kept listening to the ATIS as the weather was worsening .

multiple picture upload
Old 06-11-2020, 01:06 AM

Ahhh good old Brookhaven Airport, Ed is a great guy.. as is Matt working the radio if he?s still there.. Yeah, you have to watch the TAF out there on Long Island.. if the temp/dew point is close, it?ll fog in quick on you when the sun goes down! Then you?ll have to divert across the sound to CT... Glad you got it off the ru way without damage!
RV-8 empenage finished 10-2020

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Old 06-11-2020, 07:13 AM

Oh man you where lucky, you nearly became another statistic!
Phew!
Old 06-11-2020, 07:19 AM

Wow! Glad you caught that
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy
Old 06-11-2020, 08:23 AM

Same front flat tire thing happened to me on my 3 legged long cross country during my private pilot training. Landed at my first airport and the whole plane was shaking. I managed to coax it onto a taxiway and shut it down. Told the tower what was wrong and they called maintenance which replaced the tire to get it back to their shop. Turns out there was no hole in the tire. The owner(my flight instructor) had filled the tires that morning and didn't get the cap on right or caused a stem issue. Somehow it leaked enough to cause me a very exciting landing. I was glad I was able to get off the runway because there was a corporate jet doing training. They did about 4 landings while I was waiting for maintenance to show up. I'm also glad I didn't have the weather issue you had.
Dues paid April 2021
Old 06-11-2020, 12:43 PM

Just so you know...the way to take the nosewheel fairing off is to remove the two big hex-head bolts for the towbar, which conveniently fix the brackets to the fork, and then simply slide the aft part of the wheelpant off. No need to undo the screws holding the fiberglass to the mounting brackets.
Old 06-11-2020, 02:39 PM

I've had 3 nose wheel flats over the years, 2 were found the day after returning from major trips, lucky or what! The last was a week ago taxiing out to the runway, again lucky it happened at my home airport. Airport manager thought it funny I had an extra wheel/tire assy laying around and was able to get changed out and going again in less than half an hour.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:07 PM

If ya'll would just keep air in the tires perhaps you would stop having all these flats

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 06-11-2020, 04:57 PM

If those crappy Cheng Shin tires didn't have the little **** moulded inside the side wall of that tire, I wouldn't have had those two first flats. I ground it smooth & had no further problem with it from then on, but I don't use that brand tire any more.
Air pressure was no match for the little piece of safety wire that took out the last one......
Old 06-11-2020, 07:26 PM

Out of curiosity, why did you have to call for help? Were you not at your home base? Or are you not familiar with changing tires and tubes?
Instagram @sblack2154