Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2020, 07:36 PM

Default Safety Directive SD-00001 for RV-12/12iS - Elevator Trim Servo

Van's Aircraft has published RV-12/12iS Safety Directive SD-00001. It includes a simple inspection and modification of trim tab motor units included in RV-12/12iS kits shipped prior to the publication date (May 14, 2020).

Safety Directives are considered mandatory in nature. This safety directive does not immediately ground existing airplanes, but does require a simple inspection before further flight and action to be taken at next annual condition inspection or by a specified time in service. Details are in the document.

Synopsis of what owners need to do:
  1. Examine the stabilator trim motor installed in your aircraft and determine which model is installed.
  2. Examine the metal shaft on the trim motor to determine if it is bent.
  3. If bent, order the replacement trim motor and bushing parts described in the document.
  4. If not bent, determine which of two trim motor models is installed.
  5. For the older (no longer shipping) model, replace with the new model if time in service is 1000+ hours. You may, of course, replace the unit before that time with the new parts as well. Note that the Ray Allen Company, which manufactures the units, has set up a low-cost exchange program for affected units of the older model. Details are included in the Safety Directive document.
  6. For the newer (current) model, order a small and inexpensive bushing kit which MUST be installed before 1000 hours time in service. NOTE that Van's STRONGLY encourages installation now or at their next annual condition inspection since it is a simple, inexpensive and safety-related change.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Old 05-14-2020, 08:34 PM

Default Optional Parts Order Issue

FYI... The online parts store order search fails for the optional F-1287A-1 (Servo Tray) and BAG 2670
Old 05-14-2020, 08:56 PM

While I agree that the D-Sub connector is a step up from the mini-molex, Steinair has the best, low-cost solution here Simple Trim Servo Connection with D-sub pins.

I've used it several times and truly applaud the adherence to the KISS principle.

That aside....wow, an SD from Van's... I've already contacted the Ray Allen Company for exchange.

Thank you Van's Aircraft for your excellent support and research to develop and improve what I personally hold as the finest aircraft build kits.

- RV10, N762G, Build in progress.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark.whidbey@gmail.com View Post
FYI... The online parts store order search fails for the optional F-1287A-1 (Servo Tray) and BAG 2670
This has been fixed. Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:59 PM

By the shaft on the trim motor, do you mean the square shaft or the threaded portion at the end of the shaft?
White Salmon, WA

2020 Donation Paid
Old 05-15-2020, 01:06 PM

Ignore my last. I read the bulletin. But it leads me to this question: do you have to remove the threaded nut and clevis to determine if the shaft is bent?
White Salmon, WA

2020 Donation Paid
Old 05-15-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacco View Post
By the shaft on the trim motor, do you mean the square shaft or the threaded portion at the end of the shaft?
The shaft is the metal portion and is where the bending might occur. See the SD document for detailed description of the issue, and the last page of the document has drawings to reference and aid in identification. If your trim motor has a square, non-metal portion it is likely it the life-limited, original motor and not the current, updated model.

Old 05-15-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacco View Post
Ignore my last. I read the bulletin. But it leads me to this question: do you have to remove the threaded nut and clevis to determine if the shaft is bent?
The shaft runs straight out of the box portion of the unit, perpendicular to the side of the box and parallel to the top of the box. I'd recommend examining closely, and we'd recommend you take advantage of the exchange program Ray Allen has set up for those motors and replace it soon, just out of an abundance of caution. The newer motor with the bushing alleviates concern and it's a pretty simple change.

Old 05-15-2020, 01:27 PM

Don?t you just hate those guys that ask a bunch of question before theY read the SB or look at the aircraft. Done both now. I?m good. Ignore my above ?transgressions.
White Salmon, WA

2020 Donation Paid
Old 05-15-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghughespdx View Post
Van's Aircraft has published RV-12/12iS Safety Directive SD-00001. It includes a simple inspection and modification of trim tab motor units included in RV-12/12iS kits shipped prior to the publication date (May 14, 2020).

Safety Directives are considered mandatory in nature. This safety directive does not immediately ground existing airplanes, but does require a simple inspection before further flight and action to be taken at next annual condition inspection or by a specified time in service. Details are in the document.

Synopsis of what owners need to do:
  1. Examine the stabilator trim motor installed in your aircraft and determine which model is installed.
  2. Examine the metal shaft on the trim motor to determine if it is bent.
  3. If bent, order the replacement trim motor and bushing parts described in the document.
  4. If not bent, determine which of two trim motor models is installed.
  5. For the older (no longer shipping) model, replace with the new model if time in service is 1000+ hours. You may, of course, replace the unit before that time with the new parts as well. Note that the Ray Allen Company, which manufactures the units, has set up a low-cost exchange program for affected units of the older model. Details are included in the Safety Directive document.
  6. For the newer (current) model, order a small and inexpensive bushing kit which MUST be installed before 1000 hours time in service. NOTE that Van's STRONGLY encourages installation now or at their next annual condition inspection since it is a simple, inexpensive and safety-related change.
Reading the document, it appears that the "low cost" replacement motor for those of us with the older version is limited to those with bent or timed-out units. Mine, on a not-yet-flying airplane, is neither bent nor timed-out. Is it possible for us to get the $90 deal?

Jerre
http://jerre-hill.blogspot.com
=VAF= dues paid 2021