Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2020, 10:38 AM

Default New optional kit: ACCESS PANEL KIT for 7/9/10/14

Hi All ?

There?s a new optional kit available to order form the Van's web store as of last night. We have several in stock now. It's called "ACCESS PANEL KIT" and is designed for use on the RV-7/9/10/14. It can be used during new construction, or as a retrofit installation (in which case you'll drill out two applicable rivets so you can fit the template).

The kit sells for $19.00, so let's face it, it?s a freakin? bargain. Try that, certified world!

https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bi...ccessPanelsKit

This particular kit was initially the work of our friend Joe Blank, who worked in technical support here at Van's and unfortunately passed away a few years ago. We were able to pick up his work and finish it off so we can share it with you.

This kit was created in response to customer desires/requests over the years. Our engineering team has worked recently to select and deliver a handful of these smaller enhancement requests when they can find a few cycles (and that doesn't happen often - did I mention we are hiring engineers?) with the goal of delivering options that people can choose from if they wish. Other recent examples include this kit, the cowl louvers kit, the AHARS mounting bracket kit, RV-12 step plugs and optional style throttle handle, etc. You'll find those on our web store in the "New Products" section.

What this kit does: Allows the builder to put a couple of access panels in the skin ahead of the windscreen, which can be removed in the event there's a need to get into the area between the firewall and the subpanel located at the back of the avionics bay. Some builders want this so they can get access without having to contort themselves upside down under the instrument panel while doing maintenance. You do need to use a sealant when installing the panels, so the primary tradeoffs here are easier access vs. the potential for leaks if not properly sealed when closed up.

The instructions page (OP-43) is linked from the kit?s web store page, and that document should answer any questions you have about how one applies this kit and how the parts fit, etc. There are template instructions for each of the airplanes it applies to, all explained in the OP-43 document.

Again, this kit is designed for and includes templates for the RV-7/7A, RV-9/9A, RV-10, and RV-14/14A.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Old 02-14-2020, 10:43 AM

Two thumbs up!
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 02-14-2020, 11:34 AM

Good job! I had to make my own and was really wishing then that something like this was available.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:35 AM

Default Awesome!!!

Greg,

Thanks to you and Vans for this, it's really great to see the response to a need for access in this area!

Some of us - well, me at least - could better use access on the curved sides of that Forward Fuse Top skin (in my case, an RV-7). If engineering bandwidth allows in the future, it would be nice to know that this kit could be adapted to create side access panels.

Just a suggestion for future consideration...I'm very happy that Van's is doing things like this.

Many thanks -

Dave
RV-7 N701ED Flying!
Nashua, NH (KASH) / Plymouth, NH (1P1)

Last edited by Thermos : 02-14-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:15 PM

Greg, the instructions have these access plates on the two inboard sections of the forward bay. Is there any reason why we couldn't use them on the outboard sections where the curve is more pronounced? That location would be far more useful to my current configuration.
RV-10 Flying
www.DarinAnderson.com
2021 donation sent!
Old 02-14-2020, 12:23 PM

Lucky for me Vans relegated the -6 to the dustbin of history once more, lest I?d buy one set

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
Old 02-14-2020, 12:25 PM

Well, lookie there! Very nice. I've been enjoying mine for the last 13yrs.
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
VAF Advertiser
Old 02-14-2020, 12:54 PM

This is a great deal. My friend Chuck helped me with the template and making them for my 9. Well, he did most of it!

The one thing to understand is if you just put the template on the top to mark the rivet holes, they will not line up because of the bend in the foreskin when you place the shelf piece under. At least that was what I experienced.

I have access panels on each side and it has saved climbing back into the womb of the plane to work on the panel!
Flying N376E
Old 02-14-2020, 12:56 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks Van's...just in time!

RV-7 Slider #74572
Started 11/2016
Empennage completed 11/2016 (sans fiberglass)
Ailerons and flaps completed 3/2017.
Wings completed 12/2017
Started on QB fuselage 01/2018
Sliding canopy mostly completed 10/2020
Wiring and Avionics harness completed 9/2/2021
FWF Started 9/3/2021

Donated for 2021 and so should you
Old 02-14-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermos View Post
Some of us - well, me at least - could better use access on the curved sides of that Forward Fuse Top skin (in my case, an RV-7). If engineering bandwidth allows in the future, it would be nice to know that this kit could be adapted to create side access panels.
There is a good possibility that there would be some slight misalignment screw holes in the cover because of the differing radii that the doubler and cover would be installed at, but it might be slight enough that it wouldn't be an issue.

As insurance the doublers could be riveted in place before before installing the nutplates on them. That would allow for match drilling a custom cover if it was necessary.
If installed on the curved sides, I would recommend pre-curving the covers so they match the skin shape to avoid puckering and a higher difficulty in getting them sealed well.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")