Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Autopilots
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2020, 07:24 PM

Default Dynon Autopilot / VAL INS-429 / Wingtip Antennas

Since this thread went in the direction of antennas I edited it and made another thread asking about the autopilot. I'm adding the VAL INS-429 to my panel and wanted to know if anyone has installed the LOC/ILS antennas in their wingtips? I was thinking about separating them or just plain building 2 new dipoles and installing them in the fiberglass wingtips instead of installing this ugly draggy antenna on the fuse. If there's no other choice I'd install it under the fuse under the pilot seat so it can't easily be seen from outside. I'm also trying to avoid the extra drag.

*** If a Mod needs to move it to another section, I'm fine with that too, thanks.
Sadly sold my RV-8 N52VM however I'm still trying to enjoy life by creating an airport with FREE campsites for pilots to come visit www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ WHILE WAITING FOR THE HIGH WING RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.

Last edited by Pilot135pd : 02-01-2020 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:42 PM

I have the Archer nav antenna (which, technically, is a quarter wave over a ground plane) in my -10?s wingtip. Works fine. Of course, I always land 15? right of the center line -.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:49 PM

Default Wingtip antenna

I made an Archer knock off using scrap aluminum and it works great for both VOR and LOC. It is in my right wingtip. My com two uses a second ELT antenna in my baggage compartment. RV-10
Old 01-30-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
I have the Archer nav antenna (which, technically, is a quarter wave over a ground plane) in my -10?s wingtip. Works fine. Of course, I always land 15? right of the center line -.
I never land too close to the centerline anyway so if I install one of those antennas at least I'll have an excuse

Seriously though, you don't have any issues with the fuselage blocking the signal when you're turning or anything like that? Those are comments from other websites I've read.
Sadly sold my RV-8 N52VM however I'm still trying to enjoy life by creating an airport with FREE campsites for pilots to come visit www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ WHILE WAITING FOR THE HIGH WING RV15 !

Old 01-30-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mconner7 View Post
I made an Archer knock off using scrap aluminum and it works great for both VOR and LOC. It is in my right wingtip. My com two uses a second ELT antenna in my baggage compartment. RV-10
I was going to make a dipole with coax but I've got some aluminum strips I can cut too. Thanks.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot135pd View Post
I was going to make a dipole with coax but I've got some aluminum strips I can cut too. Thanks.
A dipole won?t fit, won?t work well in the tip, will be oriented incorrectly.
To copy the Archer, make sure you copy the built-in capacitor exactly (area, spacing, and dielectric material). It?s better if you can borrow some ham radio equipment, like an antenna tuner.
I?ve never had an issue with an ils signal, localizer or GS. I have tuned in a distant vor (over 40 nm) and done a 360, and seen it flag when the vor was at 90 deg to the airplane axis, so the signal had to go thru the fuselage. Closer (stronger) signals, no problems noted.
I?ll also say that I?ve seen photos of Archer installations that were unbelievably bad (2 cases). It?s amazing they worked at all. So sometimes negative comments are due to installation errors.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:28 PM

Are you using it with one coax and a diplexor to the Localizer and the ILS or just to the Localizer?

Old 01-30-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I was thinking about separating them or just plain building 2 new dipoles and installing them in the fiberglass wingtips instead of installing this ugly draggy antenna on the fuse.
Your RV may be fast, but not so fast that parasitic drag from this antenna will noticeably affect your speed. I don't think you are doing +300Ktas.

Quote:
If there's no other choice I'd install it under the pilot seat so it can't easily be seen from outside.
I am assuming you mean on the outside of the airplane under the pilots seat.

2020 Donation made
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com
Old 01-30-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
If I decide to go with the wingtip installation instead of just mounting it under the plane, I just saw them on Aircraft Spruce for $120 so I might just buy it to make sure it's correct.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalinHdz View Post
I am assuming you mean on the outside of the airplane under the pilots seat.

Correct, under the pilot seat OUTSIDE of the plane. Seriously ?