Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2020, 10:00 AM

Default New RV-12iS Throttle Handle Option Available

Van's has released a new, optional throttle handle/grip that is now available for all RV-12iS aircraft. The new handle is an alternative "blade" style design that can be used to replace the "T" style handle that is standard on the aircraft/kit, and has proven popular with some of the factory pilots while testing.

Installation of this new handle, which is compatible with the R-12iS airframe only (not an option for the original RV-12) is simple and a kit is available from Van's that owners can use for retrofit. Order "KIT 12iS THROTTLE GRIP" form the Van's online store.

ELSA customers may order and install this option immediately. The kit includes installation instructions as well as the necessary parts.

For SLSA customers, documentation approving and allowing installation of this optional kit on RV-12iS SLSA aircraft is available on the Van's Safety and Service Information page for the RV-12iS under SL 19-10-30 (note: link added)

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Last edited by greghughespdx : 01-15-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:20 AM

I can see potential for a lot of customizing.

Maybe when I fly with the granddaughters I can install the Mary Poppins Umbrella Throttle Handle...

Jim Stricker - EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
Bought Flying RV-12 #120058 Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 750

LSRM-A Certificate 2016 for RV-12 N633CM
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - USN Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father - CFI) - USAAF 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 01-15-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghughespdx View Post
Van's has released a new, optional throttle handle/grip that is now available for all RV-12iS aircraft. The new handle is an alternative "blade" style design that can be used to replace the "T" style handle that is standard on the aircraft/kit, and has proven popular with some of the factory pilots while testing.

Installation of this new handle, which is compatible with the R-12iS airframe only (not an option for the original RV-12) is simple and a kit is available from Van's that owners can use for retrofit. Order "KIT 12iS THROTTLE GRIP" form the Van's online store.

ELSA customers may order and install this option immediately. The kit includes installation instructions as well as the necessary parts.

For SLSA customers, documentation approving and allowing installation of this optional kit on RV-12iS SLSA aircraft is expected to be released later this week to the Van's Safety and Service Information page for the RV-12iS.

Wonder if it can be leather wrapped?

I'm guessing its made of plastic.
N112DR (RV-12iS) (SOLD)
Airworthiness signed off by the FAA 1/23/2020
First Flight on 3/14/2020
Phase I Finished on 5/7/2020
Serial#12-0864
https://youtube.com/c/CraftingN112DR
VAF donation made for 2021
Old 01-15-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolick22 View Post
Wonder if it can be leather wrapped?

I'm guessing its made of plastic.
It is made of plastic. I'm sure you could leather-wrap it if you wanted to. Might look pretty slick.

Old 01-20-2020, 03:58 PM

Perhaps its self-explanatory.. but I've only flown with a traditional throttle like in the RV-12 (original). Can you say why its popular with factory pilots? Just the feel of it in your hand?

I can't say I know many planes that have the iS style throttle or the blade so I don't have much to compare here.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarsey View Post
Perhaps its self-explanatory.. but I've only flown with a traditional throttle like in the RV-12 (original). Can you say why its popular with factory pilots? Just the feel of it in your hand?

I can't say I know many planes that have the iS style throttle or the blade so I don't have much to compare here.
Greg may have additional info, but the primary motivation for designing the optional handle was to provide additional leg clearance for bigger/taller sized pilots.

Replacing the "t" handle with the narrow blade reduces the likelihood of larger sized pilots bumping it with the leg.

I can't speak for everyone, but I think the company pilots that have preferred the blade handle are the bigger / taller guys. I, and I think the rest of the closer to average size are fine with the T handle which is likely why that is the standard part supplied in the kit.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 01-20-2020, 04:33 PM

What Scott said mostly, plus a little bit more.

I prefer the blade-style because it lets me rest my hand on it in a position which - especially when flying longer distances - results in a better shoulder position. Formation flying for example for me is a lot less painful on my gosh-darn-old-man shoulder. And it won't catch on your clothing etc if you're moving around. Both are fine, it's just nice to have the option and it's clearly a matter of individual preference. If it was me in my own RV-12iS, I'd get the blade-style handle personally.

We will bring both with us to Sun-n-Fun and OSH this year, so people can check them out. Both probably won't be installed at the shows, but we can provide an opportunity to physically hold them in an assembled state.