Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2019, 01:25 PM

Post Garmin G3X Touch (GDU 4XX) V8.50, Nov. 25, 2019

Hello,

We released G3X Touch Version 8.50 to the software download area today. Please note from the list at the bottom that many devices have new software including G5, GSA 28 servos, GEA 24 engine module, GDL 5X ADS-B receiver, GMC 507 autopilot control panel, and GMA 245/245R audio panel. After updating the software in the PFD1 with the SD card, the display will reset, and at that time it is best to hold down on the Menu button while it starts up in Configuration mode. Go to the System Information page on the PFD1 and watch all devices completing the software update before taking the PFD1 out of configuration mode and verifying proper operation for the updated system.

While the majority of the changes are behind-the-scenes improvements, there are a couple of items worth mentioning.

Simplified Fuel Flow Calibration
All of us have probably gone into configuration mode, done a little math, and made adjustments to our fuel flow calibration (K) factor to make the fuel totalizer more accurate.

This is significantly faster/easier now since you can do this after fill-up from the normal mode fuel calc engine page. Just press Menu on that page and select "Calibrate Fuel Flow" and a pop-up window will show you the fuel used and allow you to enter the actual fuel added to correct the calibration. In this example, the fuel totalizer measured 35 gals since our last fill-up, and we just added 33.5 gals to fill-up.

You can do this as often as you like until the desired accuracy is obtained.

Improved NAV Radio Tuning Support for GNC 255
We mentioned when V8.40 was released that you can now view and tune the NAV radio on the GDU (as shown below), much the same as you could with a COM radio, but that the feature was only available for the SL 30 NAV radio. We are pleased to now offer this capability for the GNC 255 using currently released V2.20 software in that unit. We will add this support for the GTN 650/750 when new software is available for those units.

Touch and Change Wind Speed Field
We have received quite a few requests to be able to touch the wind speed/direction field on the PFD and quickly change the format between speed/direction and heading/cross-wind components. This can now be done.

Changes from V8.40 to V8.50
o Add support for fuel flow calibration adjustment from Engine page
o Add option to change fuel calculator units (e.g., lbs/hr)
o Add configuration of fuel type
o Add ability to touch PFD wind field to toggle its display mode
o Add support for Piper Altimatic IIIC autopilot
o Add ability to display weight & balance envelope as moment versus weight
o Add ability to configure best-glide sink rate based on distance versus altitude
o Change low-airspeed ESP to remain disarmed until airspeed exceeds minimum limit
o Improve GSU 25C/D static pressure calibration procedure
o Improve configuration for Beechcraft 102-389012 fuel flow sensor
o Improve autopilot operation during on-ground tests
o Improve engine gauge visibility configuration on 7' displays
o Improve display of GPSS data field on 10' displays
o Improve selection of AGL height data field
o Improve NAV radio tuning
o Improve verification of LRU software update data
o Improve editing of complex weight & balance envelope points
o Improve ADS-B status display in config mode
o Improve traffic data processing and display
o Improve checklist file processing and display
o Improve chart data processing
o General improvements to system operation.
o Includes update to G5 software version 6.40
o Includes update to GDL5x software version 2.13
o Includes update to GEA24 software version 3.70
o Includes update to GMA245 software version 2.70
o Includes update to GMC507 software version 2.90
o Includes update to GSA28 software version 4.50

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.

Last edited by g3xpert : 01-07-2020 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:28 PM

Thanks Steve. Could you include links to the changelogs for the associated firmwares like the G5, GEA, GSA, etc?
Old 11-26-2019, 07:58 AM

I like that fuel calculation feature. I seem to have a 1 gal delta... I never know if it's because I over filled or under filled. This should help me narrow it down.
http://operationrv10.blogspot.com/
Old 11-26-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorJ View Post
I like that fuel calculation feature. I seem to have a 1 gal delta... I never know if it's because I over filled or under filled. This should help me narrow it down.
I have noticed the same with my -10. I have been resetting the total fuel to 59 after topping off. This should be very helpful to dial it in.

Ideas for Garmin for future releases:
- It would be nice to have a way to track L and R tanks separately on the screen. Something I could tap when I change tanks to see how much fuel I have drawn off of each tank. This would also be useful to see how the fuel gauges are correlating to fuel used in flight without having to write it down and do the math.

- It would also be nice to have the fuel used amount in the data logging .csv file.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:49 PM

Default Install hung

I did this install this morning and found that the install hung up on the can bus data transfer to the G5. Multiple attempts, no joy...

I'm wondering if I can just do the update to the G5 from a microSD card?
Old 11-26-2019, 01:06 PM

Default Long Update

This update took 4 hours for me. I though it was hung but waited anyway. While I waited I exchanged email with Steve and he said he never had that problem in all his updates and that it was probably a can bus issue.

I have not had any issues up until this update, and after I waited the 4 hours it did finish up and was OK, ran fine.

It took 2 hours to begin the G5 update, then at 3 hours it got to the GEA24 update. Glad to see I wasn't the only one who had the experience.

So if you run this update, make sure you have battery power for 4 hours , you don't want it to stop halfway though.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:17 PM

4 hours, wow!

My can bus is solid, and the rest of the devices updated quickly. While watching the devices, the G5 showed the update failed and it proceeded to all the rest quickly and with no problem. Upon reboot, it tried the G5 again and I let it run for about 45 minutes. Something isn't quite right here...
Old 11-26-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperdeck View Post
I did this install this morning and found that the install hung up on the can bus data transfer to the G5. Multiple attempts, no joy...

I'm wondering if I can just do the update to the G5 from a microSD card?
Hello upperdeck,

One thing to try in a case like this is to power off everything but the PFD (which pushes software to all the other devices) and the G5 (the device you are trying to program).

Making the entire CAN bus bandwidth available to push software with no interruptions from other devices will likely do the trick. An aircraft with a solid CAN bus will normally not have to do this.

As mentioned in the original posting, we also like to put the PFD in configuration mode when doing updates to both simplify system communications and provide visibility into when each device has received the software version identified above.

Please contact us directly if you have questions.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Hello upperdeck,

One thing to try in a case like this is to power off everything but the PFD (which pushes software to all the other devices) and the G5 (the device you are trying to program).

Making the entire CAN bus bandwidth available to push software with no interruptions from other devices will likely do the trick. An aircraft with a solid CAN bus will normally not have to do this.

As mentioned in the original posting, we also like to put the PFD in configuration mode when doing updates to both simplify system communications and provide visibility into when each device has received the software version identified above.

Please contact us directly if you have questions.

Thanks,
Steve
Thanks,

I'll try that.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:18 PM

This update took over 4 hours for me as well. The G5 was the big problem. After 2+ hours it initially said it failed but immediately started again so I let it go for another couple hours with only the pfd and G5 powered up. I thought it had completely messed G5 up but it eventually rebooted and updated to v6.40.
RV-10 Under Construction