Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2019, 03:26 PM

Default Thoughts on Panel Upgrade Ideas

Hi Everyone,

After owning my RV6A for about 1.5 years, I am finally starting to think about a panel upgrade (in conjunction with addressing ADS-B).

Right before buying my RV6A, I got my instrument rating. Therefore, for my panel upgrade, I would like to have it be IFR capable (in good weather for proficiency and maybe marine layers). I would also like the panel to qualify as TAA for my commercial rating (essentially PFD, MFD, dual axis autopilot).

I currently have a six-pack "steam" panel with KX-125 VOR/LOC, KLN 35A VFR GPS and KT76 Transponder.

I am going to replace the KLN35A and KT76 with a GNX375 (on order).

That leaves the rest of the panel to figure out what to do with. I am going back and forth between two paths (Dual G5, G3X). Cost difference is not a real big factor, so really I want to figure out what would be the best long term for usability (not go obsolete). (Switches and breakers and radio stack location are generally laid out according to current panel)

Dual G5:

G3X:

Any thoughts from the forum on these or modifications to these are appreciated.

Best,
James
N858SB
Old 11-24-2019, 03:36 PM

For your G5 option, I like the ipad right of the radios. No trouble reaching it there and I find that I like quicker easier access for the radios and GPS as use of those is more often required when workload is high or I am actively looking out the window.. The ipad is almost always touched in times of light workload. I have a full size ipad there, so have no issues seeing it on the right side.

Larry
Old 11-24-2019, 07:02 PM

My personal preference would be the G3X since it can display info from the GNX 375, and with the G5 as a backup if the G3X ADHRS fails the G5 becomes the G3X ADHRS as reversion.
Also, if with the included Garmin autopilot servos, if the G3X fails, the G5 can take over control of the autopilot functions allowing you to continue to use the autopilot.

RV-10 First Flight April 1, 2020. Phase 1 Complete
2021 VAF Dues Paid (plus a little more)
Old 11-25-2019, 10:34 AM

Personally, if cost wasn't an issue, I would put the G3X touch on the left with an Ipad in the panel to the right. I have an older G3X portrait (GDU 370) with the Ipad to the right. Same size (height) so it is aesthetically pleasing on the eye. I have Garmin Pilot installed and my experience is that it is very nice for navigation, airspace, weather and you can even display ADS-B traffic on the ipad nowadays. I also loaded a tracking app on the Ipad which tells my wife precisely where I am. Even in South Africa cellphone signal was rarely an issue at FL095. Enjoy it! It's your panel, so get it the way you want it.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:39 PM

I just put a GNX375 and a G5 in my 6A.
Had I not already had another functional GPS/𝐜𝐨𝐦 and NAV/radios I would have done:

Ipad
G3x
G5
GNX375

Are you planning any analog stuff?

I put in a separate digital/analog tachometer which is nice
Old 11-25-2019, 04:34 PM

My 6A set up. Ipad mounts to the left stick with a RAM mount.

Anthony

RV6-A "Aluminum Mistress"
Too many hobbies- not enough time.
2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 donor and happy to do it.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:27 PM

Wow. Nice panel Anthony. I would be embarrassed to show pics of mine. Nice job!!!
Old 11-25-2019, 10:25 PM

James, just curious about the rationale for the two small analog gauges for fuel pressure and oil pressure. Would the digital EMS not be adequate for these functions?
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 11-26-2019, 11:11 AM

Everyone - Thank you for your thoughts and replies to this. It sounds like there is a benefit to having the G3X with the G5 for redundancy as well as general pilot preferences.

Another question came up with regard to the com radio. Someone I know is selling a GTR20 remote com. I had not thought about a remote com much before and was planning on a panel mount one (e.g., GTR200) for the buttons and redundancy if the G3X failed. Strong opinions one way or the other here?

Anthony - Thank you for posting a picture of your panel; it looks really nice! I might be adopting much of this for mine

PaulvS - The panel currently has the analog fuel and oil pressure gauges in those locations. They are plumbed with hard lines. It would be a nice look to have them deleted, but at the same time, I am not sure if it will make sense to remove them. Also, if I ever had a sensor probe for fuel or oil pressure fail, it would be nice to have the analog gauges to fall back on.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:11 PM

I have been pouring over the Garmin install manuals for the G3X, GNC375, and GNC255 trying to figure out how this all fits together to achieve the second option in my original post (G5, G3X, GNC255, GNC375).

Any thoughts on this high level diagram (am I forgetting any connections / hooking this up in the best way)?

Thanks again, Everyone.
James