Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2019, 04:35 PM
unfluencer

Default What?d you do w/your RV this weekend?(11/2-3/2019)

...git'n this weekend's thread started. v/r,dr
  • Part time: Supporting Crew Member CAE EMB-505 Level D Sim @ KDFW.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:43 PM

Planning to fly from San Diego to Bend, OR in my RV-9A on Sunday/Monday. I intend to fly to Redding, CA for the night on Sunday to visit my sister in-law and then Bend on Monday morning. Looks like a great weekend to fly out west.

Will update the thread after!
Old 11-01-2019, 07:11 PM

Moving to a new hangar, about a hundred feet away! Could fly it there but weather calling for 100% rain/snow mix. Yuck!

Might finally get around to installing the ADSB unit.

Unfortunately in science, what you believe is irrelevant.

2021 donation made, exempt but worth every dime!
Old 11-02-2019, 10:50 AM

Finally cleaned out my garage:

Hangar time!
Old 11-02-2019, 06:42 PM

Flew from CRQ to AJO and was picked up by Spruce. While there, I purchased an iFly 740B which I plan to try out on my Oregon trip the next two days. If all goes well, I am interested in removing my Garmin 496 and replacing it with the iFly GPS. While doing so, I?d like to add a navcom, so I have two comms, and a VOR receiver (which I?ll hook up to my Dynon).

1.2 hours added to the RV. I always have a blast flying it around...
Old 11-04-2019, 12:56 PM

Went flying in a 7A and then joined the flying club that owns it.

Super pumped to be back into an IFR traveling machine.

First RV experience and man are they fun.
Mini Max VMax
RV7A - Club Owned
Old 11-04-2019, 02:40 PM

Default Moved It

Well, I changed airports this weekend...Moved my 7A from KGRE Greenville,Il. to KPJY Pinckneyville-DuQuoin, Il. ...1/2 the distance to my house, much cheaper hangar rent, and much less air traffic. Loving the quiet... Also, even thought I am hangar-anal and well organized, you just never know how much tools/equipment/supplies/chemicals/paperwork/**** you have until you have to box it up, move it, and re-mount everything.

It's not for the faint of heart.
N433BM "Dastardly" RV-12is EMP, FUSE, WINGS, Done..FINISH almost done..Powerplant soon to arrive
Official Repeat Offender
"Maintain thy airspeed...Lest the earth arise and smite thee..."
Old 11-04-2019, 03:24 PM

Red face Full Flap Take Off RV10 ?

Landed on little Island in Chesapeake Bay (KTGI) for late Lunch. All Ferry Boats and Tourists were gone so the 3 places to eat had already closed. Assumed I would need the "HOT START" procedure but after cranking and NO Joy the battery's began to slow crank. OOPS! that didn't work well, so opened up the Oil Door and sat alone "AOG" for 20 mins on the desolate airstrip. Try again: Blades going by slower and slower, then Vroom ! We got it going! Rattled and excited I decided to keep most everything turned everything OFF while charging the batteries. Heading down the Runway and my son calls out: Dad..Flaps..Dad..Flaps ! I was already at 60 knots and keeping the mains on the ground I flipped the Flaps switch and watched them SO SLOWLY retract. at half flap I was running out of runway so I pulled back rotated and launched. I was amazed at how quick the RV10 JUMPED into the air with still half flaps~!! My Son handed me the checklist and said 'Lets NOT do that again! But still a Wonderful weekend with a good reminder to not get rattled, READ the Checklist! I have to wonder what would've happened if we did rotate at full flaps ?? Ed N40ES
Old 11-04-2019, 04:13 PM

Saturday I flew in to Ridgeland (3J1) and tried my best at helping with the restoration effort ongoing with the glider club's G103. After several hours of wetsanding I was ready to fly home and rinse off the gelcoat splatter.

I flew in to Daniel field on Sunday afternoon with my girlfriend. The mission was simple, grab a bite to eat, refuel, explore the downtown, and fly home, all in 4 hours or less. KDNL is a excellent GA friendly airport. The offer for the weekend was full service 100LL for $3.99, you cant beat that this day in age. there was plenty of ramp space and it was not very busy (possibly because it was Sunday). The FBO front desk recommended Gary's homemade hamburgers about 3 mi from the airport. The FBO has 3 crew cars, so getting a car should not be an issue, the burgers were great, after this we head down to the river walk, and decided to check out the Morris muesum of art, which also happens to be free on Sundays! There were lots of very interesting art pieces, mostly southern themed and we thought it was well worth the stop.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N40ES View Post
Landed on little Island in Chesapeake Bay (KTGI) for late Lunch. All Ferry Boats and Tourists were gone so the 3 places to eat had already closed. Assumed I would need the "HOT START" procedure but after cranking and NO Joy the battery's began to slow crank. OOPS! that didn't work well, so opened up the Oil Door and sat alone "AOG" for 20 mins on the desolate airstrip. Try again: Blades going by slower and slower, then Vroom ! We got it going! Rattled and excited I decided to keep most everything turned everything OFF while charging the batteries. Heading down the Runway and my son calls out: Dad..Flaps..Dad..Flaps ! I was already at 60 knots and keeping the mains on the ground I flipped the Flaps switch and watched them SO SLOWLY retract. at half flap I was running out of runway so I pulled back rotated and launched. I was amazed at how quick the RV10 JUMPED into the air with still half flaps~!! My Son handed me the checklist and said 'Lets NOT do that again! But still a Wonderful weekend with a good reminder to not get rattled, READ the Checklist! I have to wonder what would've happened if we did rotate at full flaps ?? Ed N40ES
in my transition training for the 6 we did takeoffs with half and full flaps, and I routinely take off with 1/2 flaps. It really is a non issue, and I think I get off the ground earlier. I am not sure though if it is the same for the 10.