- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-14-2019, 03:50 PM

Default G5 with GAD 13 OAT

I am planning on adding a GAD 13 to my two G5s and GMU 11 in my RV-6. I have the GAD 13 and connector kit on order and the plan at this time is to use a probe from an old RMI microEncoder for OAT. The GAD 13 documentation (G5 Manual) says that it will work with an AD590 probe and Garmin lists two less expensive probes that should work.

Since the RMI microEncoder is out of production but they do have PDFs documents online, others that are electrical savy should be able to fabricate their own probe (PDF page 49 & 50 / doc page 51 & 52) for about 1/3 of what the non-Garmin probes cost. Digikey sell the part for the temp sensor for less than $20 and the cap plus a piece of brass tubing to protect does not add that much to the cost.

I will report back IF my homemade RMI OAT probe does not work and will spend the $100 for one of the recommended non-Garmin probes. I have all the parts to make a probe in my hangar except the brass tube. Amazon delivers it on Monday.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.

Last edited by RV6_flyer : 09-14-2019 at 03:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-14-2019, 04:05 PM

Default please do report back

I have been thinking about doing this as well. Please let us know what your findings are.
Cessna Rocket 210HP - Best dang 172 Ever made! (sold)
Old 09-15-2019, 06:51 AM

Does it matter where you place the otp on the plane? I was thinking of mounting the gad13 in the tunnel next to the magnetometer on the shelf. The probe would be near the rear of the plane. I didn't see any warnings or placement instructions with the probe or the gad13.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtail View Post
Does it matter where you place the otp on the plane? I was thinking of mounting the gad13 in the tunnel next to the magnetometer on the shelf. The probe would be near the rear of the plane. I didn't see any warnings or placement instructions with the probe or the gad13.
Hello,

Even if you are not using a Garmin GTP 59 outside air temperature probe with your GAD 13, the installation guidance for this OAT probe in the G3X Installation Manual should be useful for determining probe location.

You can mount the GAD 13 almost anywhere convenient inside the fuselage or wings, but we don't recommend mounting it next to the magnetometer.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Hello,

Even if you are not using a Garmin GTP 59 outside air temperature probe with your GAD 13, the installation guidance for this OAT probe in the G3X Installation Manual should be useful for determining probe location.

You can mount the GAD 13 almost anywhere convenient inside the fuselage or wings, but we don't recommend mounting it next to the magnetometer.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve:

Is there a distance recommendation for the GAD 13 from the GMU 11? Something like greater than one-foot or more.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS

Old 09-15-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV6_flyer View Post
Steve:

Is there a distance recommendation for the GAD 13 from the GMU 11? Something like greater than one-foot or more.
Hello Gary,

The installation manual specifies that "Electrical devices drawing less than 100 mA current" should be a minimum of 2 feet from the GMU 11.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7ForMe View Post
I have been thinking about doing this as well. Please let us know what your findings are.
I got the GAD 13 with 'homemade' OAT prop installed and powered up today for the first time.

My 'homemade' OAT prop (same as used my Rocky Mountain Instrument microEncoder and microMonitor) is working. Initial OAT read 1 degree F higher than my digital thermometer in my hangar. Note TAS upper left hand corner, OAT lower left hand corner, and density altitude lower right hand corner of the upper G5 and on the lower G5 "No Wind Data" in the upper left hand corner.

Now I need to pick stuff up, finish paperwork, and go test fly.

Thank you Steinair for getting this to me so quickly.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS

Old 10-02-2019, 09:09 AM

Default G5 with GAD 13 in fight photo

I finally flew my new GAD 13 today. Garmin equipment installed are two G5s, GMU 11, and GAD 13. I am using a homemade OAT probe using the instructions from RMI microEncoder assembly manual. (page 49 has assembly instructions) Everything worked inflight just like I expected. The surprise I had was when I was on downwind at pattern altitude (1,000 AGL) I had 18 Kts crosswind almost 90 degrees to the runway. I could see the windsock on the ground indicating calm winds.

When on the ground, Density Altitude is displayed above the altimeter setting but it disappears when flying.

Note to Garmin G3X Experts: Feel free to use the image(s) I post(s) any way you like that shows your G5(s) in my aircraft.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS

Old 10-08-2019, 07:00 AM

Gary,
Thanks for your excellent write-up of this little money-saver.

The copy of the RMI instructions that I pulled offline (Rev D, 1/1/04) specifies a ".1FFD" ceramic cap with the first F looking like it has been changed (different font).

Is that supposed to be picofarad or microfarad? I am not familar with FFD.
RV-7A emp finished, wings next.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvis View Post
Gary,
Thanks for your excellent write-up of this little money-saver.

The copy of the RMI instructions that I pulled offline (Rev D, 1/1/04) specifies a ".1FFD" ceramic cap with the first F looking like it has been changed (different font).

Is that supposed to be picofarad or microfarad? I am not familar with FFD.
0.1 micro Farad is the value recorded in my PAPER copy dated Rev B, 12/30/1994. Sometimes the electronic PDF copies does not handle the special characters correctly.

Here is the image of a capacitor like the one that I used.

Here is the image of the temperature transducer like the one I used.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS