Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-4
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2019, 05:50 PM

Default At thirty she is still beautiful

Today I re-enacted the first flight of my RV-4 exactly thirty years ago, June 6th, 1989. I departed my home base at 06:00 and circled the field just as I did years ago looking for any problems inflight. This time, having confidence in a well tested airframe, I continued on to one of my favorite airports located at Leadville Colorado, elevation 9933 msl. My RV4 is no stranger to high country having lived her entire life here in Colorado and her performance is a good match for our mountains.

After making the first flight of an RV4 in Idaho in 1985, I was bitten by the RV bug pretty hard. I ordered tail kit #1150 after returning from that flight and it was delivered to Harold Steiner’s little shop in Murphy Idaho. He told me I could utilize his space and tools to begin building. Back then I was commuting to ORD for my day job and often gone for long periods of time. After returning home to Boise, I had time to start the tail and drove the hour to Harold’s house only to discover the vertical and horizontal surfaces had already been built.

Being a lousy commuter, I bid the Denver domicile and the project was on hold until a suitable house was found to resume building. The walkout basement had French doors installed so once the fuselage was on the gear; it could be moved outside and rolled up the backyard to the driveway. Building conveniently in my residence helped expedite the process and after starting in earnest October 86, the plane made its first flight June 6, 1989.

The RV4 fulfilled the multi role assignments with gusto and aplomb. From being my WW2 piston powered fighter engaged in dog fighting with an equally enthusiastic RV3 owner to being my back country explorer and camping companion. The -4 is equally adept at acro and formation flying and I enjoyed flying with the Prescott based “Composite Pursuit Squadron” and later being a charter member of the “Rocky Mountain Renegades” who’ll be performing at OSH this summer. Don’t miss ‘em !

My wife and I spent the first few years flying to numerous fly ins and air shows throughout the western States including camping trips in Idaho. Potential and enthusiastic builders gave us a warm reception where ever we stopped and a number of kits sold as a result of this exposure. Back then Van’s would send a one hundred dollar check for customers sent his way.

Given the proliferation of models now available with improved kits and detailed plans...the RV4 would still be my choice.

When asked by aviators how I liked the -4? My response at the age of forty-two was, “It’s as much fun as you can have with your clothes on”. Now thirty years later that same thought still holds true.

Cheers,

Hans “Cobra” Miesler

I'd rather fly than tinker.

"There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician, the other is an artist in love with flight."
- Elrey B. Jeppesen,

Last edited by Saber25 : 06-06-2019 at 05:55 PM. Reason: picture
Old 06-06-2019, 05:53 PM

Great story. The RV-4 is truly a great little airplane.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:06 PM

Fantastic story, which I enjoyed reading very much!
Old 06-06-2019, 07:37 PM

Cobra, you are my hero. Today, anyway!

Cat
Super-8 bought flying
Old 06-06-2019, 08:19 PM

Default Nice story Cobra.

Its amazing how they get to be such a big part of our lives. I always thought my RV-4 would be a stepping stone on the way to something bigger and better, but I can?t ever imagine letting it go. My oldest daughter was 2 years old when I started building and now she has a 5 year old herself.

Twister

Ps. I have some great video of Cobra?s airplane in action if anyone is interested I will post it
Rocky Mountain Renegades
the mission... have fun.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:25 PM

Great story, Cobra! Here?s to another 30!
Old 06-07-2019, 03:50 AM

Red face Great plane great pilot

Hans, not only is the -4 a great airplane, you are a master at extracting every bit of performance from it. It was my pleasure to narrate your solo aerobatic performance at air shows. You are a true maestro in the air

Renegade Opposing Solo pilot and other Dirty Odd Jobs

http://www.rmrairshows.com/

2021 dues paid
Old 06-07-2019, 07:50 AM

Thanks Twister and Wizard. I wish you blue skies and a safe OSH experience this summer. I enjoyed watching your practice the other day and seeing how far the Renegades have advanced in their airshow presentation.

Best of luck,

Cobra

I'd rather fly than tinker.

"There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician, the other is an artist in love with flight."
- Elrey B. Jeppesen,
Old 06-07-2019, 08:11 AM

Hans,

Sent you an e-mail. Please let me know if you get it.

Chris
RV-4 O-360 FP (Sold)
Full-time in the other type of RV....
Old 06-07-2019, 08:48 AM

Smile A time to remember

A man and his machine. True love. A nice look back Hans. And I agree another 30 years is the plan.