- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:34 AM

Default RV-8 Prop Controller Issues

I have an RV-8 with O-360 A1A set up with a Hartzel CS prop. The prop controller teleflex goes through the firewall and makes an aggressive "90" to the prop governor on the rear of the engine.

After 1280 hours, it has become very stiff and hard to operate. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations to revive the cable or good replacements. It is roughly 50" long and I believe is the standard green cable provided by Vans.

Any help would be appreciated.

Phil
Evansville, IN
Old 04-02-2019, 08:15 AM

Very interested in the replies. Mine has 400 hours and is almost there too. The throttle cable is harder to move than the prop for now.
Sadly sold my RV-8 however still trying to enjoy life by living on my airport with FREE campsites for pilots to enjoy www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ & flying my OnSpeed equipped C-177 while waiting for the RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:30 AM

Default Green Cables

I have to replace my cables about every 300 or so hours. I cut one apart and found that the plastic liner used as a lubricant failed at the crimp. The liner wads up and causes the stiffness until it locks solid. I think it would be better if we could get cables that had to be lubed.
RV 8 Fast back built and sold
RV 10 Building
Dues paid 2022
Dan "Nordo" West
Old 04-02-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynwest View Post
I have to replace my cables about every 300 or so hours. I cut one apart and found that the plastic liner used as a lubricant failed at the crimp. The liner wads up and causes the stiffness until it locks solid. I think it would be better if we could get cables that had to be lubed.
I thought it was binding at the bends so I disconnected everything firewall forward and let it hang straight out but it was still stiff to move.

As much as I like the good news that I only have to replace the cable and not re-engineer the design to find a better angle to install it, it still sucks that it has to be replaced so quickly.

Hopefully there are more out there that have gone through this and have found a solution to solve this issue more permanently than replacing every xxx amount of hours.

Are other models having the same problem with their cables and have they have found a different cable to replace it?
Sadly sold my RV-8 however still trying to enjoy life by living on my airport with FREE campsites for pilots to enjoy www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ & flying my OnSpeed equipped C-177 while waiting for the RV15 !

Old 04-02-2019, 09:03 AM

Have seen heat melt the plastic liner and cause binding. Primarily throttle cable as it runs under the exhaust system. Put a heat shield on the pipe when the cable was replaced. So far so good.

No lubing will fix it, cable has to be replaced.

On the governor cable for the prop did you put the cable and holes per Van?s drawing? Want the governor cable furthest away from the governor to ease the radius.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:07 AM

Ok, looks like it's not just a RV-8 issue. Did a quick search "cable sticking" and found these informative threads :

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...cable+sticking

Old 04-02-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted RV8 View Post
Have seen heat melt the plastic liner and cause binding. Primarily throttle cable as it runs under the exhaust system. Put a heat shield on the pipe when the cable was replaced. So far so good.
Should I install wrap-around exhaust tape on the exhaust pipe or should I put heat reflective tape around the cable? I was looking through the auto parts store online and found those two as heat shields, unless they have to be "aviation" heat shields?

Old 04-02-2019, 09:17 AM

Put a fire sleeve over the cable but didn?t cure the problem.

Purchased an exhaust shield from Van?s, so far working good.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Put a fire sleeve over the cable but didn?t cure the problem.

In one of those links I posted it explained why the fire sleeve will also fail. I'll look at the exhaust shield from Vans. Thanks.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Is this what you bought? If so I'll need a couple of them :

https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bi...t=heat-shields