- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-16-2019, 06:04 PM

Default EFIS to HUD Project Update

So a few of us geeks have been quietly working on a project that takes input from an EFIS (currently serial streams) and processes that data within a Raspberry Pi and generates an image that can be used on a HUD or other display that supports HDMI or CVBS (Composite) video inputs. (Think back seat display for tandem aircraft)

The project is being built with the ability to add different input modules and to make it relatively easy to add customized displays to the available options.

Currently the serial input modules that have been developed include:

MGL
Skyview
Legacy Dynon
G3X

Capabilities for each of these input modules vary due to the fact that the different manufacturer's serial streams also vary greatly in the variables being streamed.

As would be expected, I have been working on the G3X input module and have developed the following custom display based on the data that is provided in the G3X serial stream. Several additional variables have been created by developing algorithms that use provided data to calculate those that are not present in the data stream.

Here is a static image of the custom screen as it exist today:

A video using data captured from a real flight here at about 3X realtime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzcrCiOq3uY&t=33s
The flight included some steep turns, wing overs, rolls in both directions and general boring holes in the sky.

Yes, this has been a distraction to my RV-10 build effort. I need to quit working on this and get back to work on that project!

Mostly this has been a fun learning opportunity for me. I have never used Python or this type of graphical programming before.

Thanks to Cecil "TRON" and his son Chris for getting this project started and all the foundational code work that has been done! Thanks to several others for the help along the way especially jacoby for his help!

I am excited to see where this project might go in the near future.
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 02-16-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
Nice!

BTW, The temperature units need to be corrected/switched:

Funny how one can stare at something forever and not see the simple stuff.
That display was tweaked today and apparently I fat fingered the units.
Thanks for the catch!
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Old 02-17-2019, 07:27 AM

Really cool. I have been playing with a Hudly for a while in my RV and looking for something to drive displays that are aircraft oriented. Just thinking out loud on how i can take advantage of this in my RV.

Is there a plan or potential to have the HUD that is not feed from an EFIS? I am thinking of using the guts of an EFIS and all the inputs that go into the EFIS but not having the display of an EFIS. This would allow a HUD installation without a big panel change. Or think of it this way, the EFIS display is redundant when you have the HUD display. If you like redundancy, as I see most panels now have multi EFISs, this could be an independent set of flight instruments driven from second source. Maybe very practical on tandem RVs that have limited panel space.
Paid dues yearly since 2007
Old 02-17-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plehrke View Post
Really cool. I have been playing with a Hudly for a while in my RV and looking for something to drive displays that are aircraft oriented. Just thinking out loud on how i can take advantage of this in my RV.

Is there a plan or potential to have the HUD that is not feed from an EFIS? I am thinking of using the guts of an EFIS and all the inputs that go into the EFIS but not having the display of an EFIS. This would allow a HUD installation without a big panel change. Or think of it this way, the EFIS display is redundant when you have the HUD display. If you like redundancy, as I see most panels now have multi EFISs, this could be an independent set of flight instruments driven from second source. Maybe very practical on tandem RVs that have limited panel space.
This is very doable and there is already one example where another project is driving a HUD from the Stratux project and hardware. While this project I am working on is currently geared toward using an existing EFIS to drive the display, it could be easily adapted to using similar hardware that the Stratux is using to provide much of the information that an EFIS does. There may even be some off the shelf stand alone ADAHRS units out there that could be interfaced to it to provide exactly what you describe.

A few years ago I was able to build an AOA system out of an Arduino and some off the shelf pressure sensors that worked very well for air data. Today there are AHRS boards available that will work with these small computers. Add a GPS board and you are a long way toward what you are asking.

I don't see this as a replacement for EFIS units but more as an enabler for a HUD and or back seat remote display for tandem aircraft. There may be some additional use cases one might dream up. To your point, given the right setup, it could be a backup to the primary EFIS units.
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)

Last edited by Brantel : 02-17-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:50 AM

I have fixed the transposed OAT units and have added a slip/skid indicator.

RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Old 02-17-2019, 07:51 AM

Nice job Brian.
RV-10 - Sold

Supporting VAF since the first visit
Old 02-17-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plehrke View Post

I just bought the Stratux AHRS unit to integrate with the HUD. With that plus a GPS source, a good portion of the functionality can be had without an EFIS. Without OAT there won't be a TAS, no pitot so no AS, and altimeter would be GPS, which isn't really useful. GS would be GPS as well.

There is also no pressure sensor so that goes away along with AGL. AOA will not be available either.

AI, track, bearing, wind, etc should all be available.

The project has a long way to go before it's really flight ready, especially with fault handling.

Depending on how much CPU is available, it may be possible for it to run both Stratux and HUD on the same Raspberry pi so you'd get the info on the hud and your ipad along with ADS-B alerts on the hud.

And to be clear, Brian has done 99% of the work here. I just answer emails!
Old 02-18-2019, 08:13 AM

It seems to me that data acquisition is now a solved problem. And with a Raspberry Pi you can add an OAT sensor easily - there's a hat for that. And there's a hat for pressure sensors so you could obtain pitot air speed.

As far as I can tell the unsolved problem is a HUD display focused at infinity that does not requires a massive disruption of the instrument panel/glare shield, and which is visible at all Sun angles.

Hudly is a step in the right direction but it's only focused a few feet from the prop and I think I read somewhere that it's not always easily seen at certain Sun angles..
Old 02-18-2019, 09:12 AM

Default Look Ma - No Pi?

I got excited when the possibility of using glasses for "HUD" was published - quickly that morphed into the current technology.
What interests me even more is the advancement to not requiring an android (or iPhone) interface between the data source and the HUD. A direct serial connection would be simplest and (my opinion) preferred.

Brian - you mentioned Dynon systems were being worked on. Does that include the Advance Flight Systems EFIS as well, or are they still in the "next iteration" phase?
Old 02-18-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saville View Post
It seems to me that data acquisition is now a solved problem. And with a Raspberry Pi you can add an OAT sensor easily - there's a hat for that. And there's a hat for pressure sensors so you could obtain pitot air speed.

As far as I can tell the unsolved problem is a HUD display focused at infinity that does not requires a massive disruption of the instrument panel/glare shield, and which is visible at all Sun angles.

Hudly is a step in the right direction but it's only focused a few feet from the prop and I think I read somewhere that it's not always easily seen at certain Sun angles..
Yes, sensors can be added if it morphs into a permanent install. Realistically though, I would think that most people who would embrace a HUD would already have an EFIS onboard and would rather hook it to power + a serial stream vs power + pitot static + OAT. I could be wrong.

The focus and visibility issue is real. I don't know all the details but it has been discussed. There doesn't seem to be a practical solution right now. You can choose between the ~$1k hudly or go off into the certified world and spend a magnitude more.