- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:41 AM

Default JDAir new Canopy Latch

The JD Air Parts tip up canopy latch has been slightly redesigned for a better appearance. Mechanically, it is exactly the same. The reason for the design change is two fold. 1) The previous version was water jet cut and then required machining. 2) My company doing the machining looked at the drawings and felt the latches could be machined quicker with a better appearance.

RV7 builder Sean Blair installed one in his plane. He had the old version and installed the new one for comparison. He said it works exactly the same. He will probably chime in with his thoughts and impressions.

And, in the interest of safety, we are also offering the latches anodized red. I thought this was important as a critical handle for egress. I don't have pictures of the red version but will get them on the site soon.

Visit www.jdair.com to order.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N717AZ Painted and Complete
2021 Gold Lindy Grand Champion Kit Plane
Old 02-07-2019, 01:41 AM

Was this originally a Robby Attaway design?
Old 02-07-2019, 12:05 PM

Thumbs up Observations of the New JD Air Tip Up Canopy Handle/Latch

Hello everyone. As Darwin mentioned, I recently installed one of JD Air's new canopy latches in my RV7 project. In my case, this is a retrofit of the prior model.

The previous version of this latch seemed a little bulky to me, IMHO. It's still a great option that performs well though. Either of the JD Air versions of this latch/handle is far superior to the stock one produced by Van?s.

I have several attractions to the new design:
? It is "sleek" in appearance with the interior portions of the handle.
? It is much smoother of a machined finish. I believe the new one is CNC'd, where the prior is water jet. The previous pics in this thread show my original handle after I had taken efforts to smooth and somewhat polish it. In its original state, the previous handle was much rougher and "frosty" looking.
? It won't take much work to polish the new product to a nice shine. The prior will take a fair chunk of time to get that look....if that's what you like.

Fit and Operation:
? The smaller front portion of this assembly fit the existing cutout in my fuselage skin just the same as the prior.
? The larger aft portion of the handle was slightly over-sized in length compared to the existing cutout. I estimate just over 1/32". You can either take that material from the lever or file the opening of the skin just a touch. Otherwise, this lever engaged fine with the fuselage skin. I believe this is being reviewed by Darwin (he can confirm).
? As with the prior model, I spent a little time with the hooks of the latch and the face just above them to get the proper fit and engagement. My hooks didn't initially mate because of too much material...but just barely. A few minutes sneaking up on it with a 1" Scotch Brite wheel in a die grinder got the clearance I needed. Again...I had to do this with the original, too. I believe that although the latch has an installation template drawing for the cutouts, and dimensions for the brackets...we can introduce small deviations in construction. Just a little finesse gets this remedied.
? I added the spring and the linkage, then immediately realized smooth and positive operation.

I'm pleased with the new latch and it adds to the look I'm trying to achieve with my plane. It's solid and works well. Another quality product (and support) from Darwin and JD Air.
2021 VAF SUPPORTER
Old 02-07-2019, 12:19 PM

Just curious. If one were to accidentally bump the forward knob (reaching for something else, stretching, etc.), would the latch unlatch, and would that be a problem?
Old 02-07-2019, 12:48 PM

Tip up canopies have a second latch overhead at the aft portion of the canopy.

Pic:
2021 VAF SUPPORTER

Last edited by SeanB : 02-07-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:48 PM

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvi767 View Post
Was this originally a Robby Attaway design?
Yes it was. Robbie gave me the design when he got out of it.
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N717AZ Painted and Complete
2021 Gold Lindy Grand Champion Kit Plane
Old 02-07-2019, 03:16 PM
Moderator, Asst. Line Boy

Now the new handle linkage in anodized red definitely has my attention. Will this appear on the JDAir site soon? I'm in for one set.

I built KELLI GIRL with the original JDAir design, and love it. 740+ flight hours in 3.69 years, and it never came open. It'd take a really deliberate bump to get it to unlock in flight (ie, it never has happened). Great design.

Sid "Scroll" Mayeux, Col, USAF (ret)
52F NW Regional/Aero Valley Airport, Roanoke TX (home of DR's Van Cave)
"KELLI GIRL" N260KM RV-7A tipper
Catch her on YouTube's "Because I Fly!" channel

Exemption waived.
Proud and grateful 2021 -=VAF=- Contributor

PS: I am not an influencer. I have no influence. Just ask my kids.

Last edited by scrollF4 : 02-07-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7Guy View Post
Yes it was. Robbie gave me the design when he got out of it.
If that?s the case it?s a outstanding design. I had Robbies 6 with his version of this latch and it?s fantastic design. There are no worries about bumping it open in flight. If I were building a tip up it would be on the aircraft no questions asked!!
G
Old 02-08-2019, 08:54 AM

Has anyone replaced the stock latch with this one, or is that even a possiblity?
Old 02-08-2019, 09:21 AM

I really like these but I'm not so sure I can retrofit it to a flying airplane without buggering up the paint or messing with my Classic Aero interior panel.

Bummer
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html