Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2019, 02:39 PM

Default Testing - Wheel pants or not?

I did all my flight testing of our RV-7A with my wheel pants off; standard practice in Minnesota in the winter. Come spring, wheel pants back on, and retesting WOT, I found significant difference in max RPM and airspeed from my no-wheel pants testing. In reviewing the new FAA Test Flight cards, where they go into such detail as where CG should be, and how much fuel to carry, for each test, a question occurred to me.

Relative to Vx, Vy and best glide testing, would they change, depending on wheel pants or no wheel pants?

If so, I will want to retest, this time with wheel pants on. I may even retest anyway, following the FAA Test Flight instructions, just to confirm my earlier results.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:13 PM

The drag imposed by the exposed landing gear is significant and would affect glide speed and distance.

I gained around 20 MPH after installation of mine. Everything got better, including CHTs.
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines (aka Hoser)
Old 01-24-2019, 03:23 PM

I plan on doing the first 5 hours without them.
http://operationrv10.blogspot.com/
Old 01-24-2019, 03:44 PM

don't understand how any serious testing could be done, either wheel pants off or not painted... unless it will be left as is.

Why not finish the aircraft (it ain't a new prototype, is it) and do the tests and paper filling once and for all iso a repeat

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
Old 01-24-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeCee 57 View Post
don't understand how any serious testing could be done, either wheel pants off or not painted... unless it will be left as is.

Why not finish the aircraft (it ain't a new prototype, is it) and do the tests and paper filling once and for all iso a repeat
Somewhere along the line, Vans recommended (and may still) doing the engine break-in without pants to add drag. As mentioned above, this usually only takes a few hours (5-10).
Catto 3 blade NLE, FlightLines Interior, James cowl, plenum & intake, Anti-Splat -14 seat mod and nose gear support
All lines by TSFlightLines (aka Hoser)
Old 01-24-2019, 04:17 PM

I would definitely retest, in your situation, ensuring that both situations, wheel pants on and wheel pants off, were properly documented, and the various speeds to fly noted for each configuration.

Dave
Old 01-24-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:

I believe it was recommended to do initial flight testing without the gear leg fairings or pants installed in order to evaluate the flight characteristics. Once the aircraft is properly set up, hands off wings level/ball centered then the pants and gear leg fairings could be installed. That way if the trim has changed you know it has to do with pant/fairing alignment, which can have a big effect on trim.

Al
Old 01-24-2019, 05:36 PM

Default +1 for pants off testing

Quote:

As mentioned above, wheel pants can induce an adverse yaw if they are not installed perfectly symmetrical. If you flight test without the wheel pants then add them later you can narrow down the adverse yaw. Another reason to have weight off wheels when you align and install those wheel pants. The gear flexes inboard and changes the wheel pant alignment when airborne affecting drag and speed.
Flying as of August 14, 2015
TN26
Old 01-24-2019, 06:31 PM

Default Testing done?

I started my phase 1 with no fairings or pants, for the reasons mentioned. I added fairings & pants midway thru phase 1 and retested everything. I am constantly retesting or re-verifying my results. I built this thing to fly (1.5 years flying with 250+hours) and Every time I do I?m testing or retesting something. I don?t think it?s ever DONE. Always learning.
RV 7A RV #9700 May 2017
N325KS the Flying K
Built in SoCal KCCB, now in GA @ KPXE
800+ Hours & 7X cross the USA
OSH flyin 2018 & 2019 & Petit Jean 2019 & 2021
Old 01-24-2019, 07:20 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

If you’re breaking in a new engine with no pants or fairings, you’re robbing the motor of significant cooling airflow -a huge deal when it comes to an air cooled Lycoming.

Just something to consider.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com