- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:26 AM

Default In need of moral support.

It's after 1am and I can't sleep. I went to my airport storage to find pigeons had defecated on my (unwrapped) wings. (They can't have been there more than two weeks.) I pulled my vertical stabilizer and rudder to find the beginnings of some pretty serious corrosion.

My plan is to wash and dry all the parts and wrap them loosely in plastic. The empennage is fairly easy to rebuild if I have to but severe damage to the wings might just kill my desire to continue building (and I have just ordered a finish kit)....

Any thoughts?
Frederic.magare "at" gmail.com
RV-9A Finishing
Old 05-10-2018, 01:36 AM

If you clean it up and post some picture people could give a more informed opinion, but I have a funny feeling your parts are just fine. they probably just need the corrosion removed and primed.

Born to fly, forced to work
Old 05-10-2018, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin8er View Post
If you clean it up and post some picture people could give a more informed opinion, but I have a funny feeling your parts are just fine. they probably just need the corrosion removed and primed.
Thank you. I'll know more when I go out in the morning to clean them up and evaluate the parts. I'm hoping the filiform corrosion is limited to the vertical stab and rudder which were laying on the other control surfaces.

The lesson is to keep those parts clean even if just in storage. The amount of dirt that settled on them along with moisture is surely what has led to the corrosion.
Frederic.magare "at" gmail.com
RV-9A Finishing
Old 05-10-2018, 07:33 AM

I'm sorry those f'n birds soiled your plane. The big box stores sell some relatively cheap canvas tarps used for painting. The ones I bought were 4' wide and about 16' long - perfect for covering up wings and fuselages. Get you some of those when you get your plane cleaned up.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:41 AM

I wrapped all my stored parts in Tyvek from Home Depot. Breathes but sheds liquids. Not sure how it would do with pigeon poop though.

RV-14A built/sold N14VB
RV-12iS in progress as of October 2020
Old 05-10-2018, 07:43 AM

Take a deep breath, if it's only been a couple of weeks I doubt the corrosion is that bad. Wash it off, and scrub with a scotch brite pad and I bet it looks good as new. The only problem I would foresee is if you plan on polishing instead of paint.

Bob burns
Rv4 n82rb
Old 05-10-2018, 08:00 AM

Default Yep!

You should be fine. This happens all the time. You will be priming anyway as time goes on. Go down to NAPA and get some cans of I think 7072 primer. After you clean up the poop, mist coat and all will be ready for the long hall.
Birds this time of year are something we all try to get read of and never seem to do a good job of. Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888
Old 05-10-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Anglin View Post
You should be fine. This happens all the time. You will be priming anyway as time goes on. Go down to NAPA and get some cans of I think 7072 primer. After you clean up the poop, mist coat and all will be ready for the long hall.
Birds this time of year are something we all try to get read of and never seem to do a good job of. Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888
NAPA 7220 primer is what you want.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:36 AM

Fred,

My son and I can fly up this Saturday morning to help. Are you still in the end unit at the old green city t-hangers? Let me know. I still owe you for helping with the wing bolts years ago!
RV-12iS - All kits ordered!
VAF on Annual Autopay
Old 05-10-2018, 08:43 AM

You might want to get an air rifle, too.
Miss March 2020