Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Ongoing Maintenance Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2018, 09:10 PM

Question The proper way to make log book entries

Can any of my brethren here advise me on where to start learning about the proper way to make log book entries (Airframe, Engine, and Propeller) that would help me with requirements and phrasing?

I am just getting ready to transition from building the airframe to installing the engine, and would like to learn the proper way to indicate that SB's and letters have been complied with, and also prepare for the happy day when I can include maintenance as well.

As in everything else aviation, I am sure there are the official regs, and possibly an easier to follow aftermarket book perhaps, but I do not know where to start.

DG-800S Sailplane
QB RV-8 -- Working on final wiring and the engine
84CX Reserved
Old 04-24-2018, 10:04 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

FAR Part 43 (online for free) has example logbook entries that will get you the general idea. You can also find online copies of A&P manuals from the FAA that should cover the topic.
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 04-24-2018, 10:28 PM

Exclamation

The official FAA AC covering this is here...

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/...ar/AC43-9C.pdf

Lots of blurb that is not applicable to us, but this little bit, along with the paragraph saying signatures must be dated, is useful - my highlight -

d. Section 91.417(a)(l)(i). Requires the maintenance record entry to include ?a description of the work performed.? The description should be in sufficient detail to permit a person unfamiliar with the work to understand what was done, and the methods and procedures used in doing it. When the work is extensive, this results in a voluminous record. To provide for this contingency, the rule permits reference to technical data acceptable to the Administrator in lieu of making the detailed entry. Manufacturer?s manuals, service letters, bulletins, work orders, FAA AC?s, and others, which accurately describe what was done, or how it was done, may be
referenced. Except for the documents mentioned, which are in common usage, referenced documents are to be made a part of the maintenance records and retained in accordance with section 9 1.417(b).
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 04-25-2018, 09:49 AM

One small note: If you install or replace a part that has a serial number, record the make, model, and that S/N. If you don't, you will be upset when you come across a Service Bulletin or an A.D. (certificated aircraft), tied to certain S/N's, that you want to comply with, and the part takes an hour to access. People fail to do that all the time, including A&P's and I.A.'s.
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor

We're all here because we're not all there...
Old 04-25-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsxer View Post
One small note: If you install or replace a part that has a serial number, record the make, model, and that S/N. If you don't, you will be upset when you come across a Service Bulletin or an A.D. (certificated aircraft), tied to certain S/N's, that you want to comply with, and the part takes an hour to access. People fail to do that all the time, including A&P's and I.A.'s.
This...a THOUSAND times. To add on Mike's suggestion, it might be a good idea to create a Google Spreadsheet that has all your serial numbers in it with descriptions and installation dates. This makes it very easy to search.
Wing Kit Started - June 2017
My Build Log: http://www.theskunkwerx.com
Old 04-26-2018, 09:41 PM

If during the build process you comply with a service bulletin, does that go into the airframe logbook or is it just part of the builder's log?

During the build process what type of entries should be put into the engine and prop log?
Old 04-27-2018, 02:07 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV10Pilot View Post
If during the build process you comply with a service bulletin, does that go into the airframe logbook or is it just part of the builder's log?

During the build process what type of entries should be put into the engine and prop log?
I would say it doesn't matter.

The FAA uses these words, as snipped from my previous post -

...Requires the maintenance record entry...

How you do "maintenance records" (FAA wording) is up to you. Log books are convenient, but if you have a detailed builders log...

I started my actual log books at the time of final FAA inspection.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 05-03-2018, 11:24 AM

I was told by an A&P, although I have not confirmed it, that you should include your airman certificate number and signature with the logbook entry...
RV7
RV8

ATP, CFIA, II, ME, G
Old 05-03-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeerinck View Post
As in everything else aviation, I am sure there are the official regs, and
There are many good suggestions above, and in the long run will save you time and aggrevation, increase resale value, etc. But, the ?official regs? don?t require you to log any maintenance other than the annual condition inspection, so you are free to do what you think is best.
Be sure to apply for your limited repairman certificate when you?re done, so you can sign off the condition inspection.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:54 PM

As a builder (it hasn't flown yet), I maintain a maintenance manual. I'd put any SB or AD compliance or serial number data there for future reference. Once I transition to having an airplane, maintenance data goes into the logbooks.

The spreadsheet idea is excellent. I use that on my certified airplane for:
Weight and balance data,
AD or service letter compliance,
The equipment list.

I try to give a brief reason for the maintenance, if it's not routine, so that future maintainers will have an idea of what happened. This is in the logbooks along with the maintenance entry itself.

Dave