Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:42 AM

Default First Flight Question

Hi All

This one is for those that have gone before me.

The first flight of my RV14 is not far off, and I just wanted to get an idea of what I can expect regarding handling quality.

I notice that a lot of RV14’s have a permanent trim tab on the Right hand bottom side of the rudder, on the opposite side to my RV7 which would indicate the left rudder is generally required. Is this the case for all RV14’s?? Is there any other handling qualities that could be expected?

I know there will be variations from build to build but this one is pretty much a Cookie cutter build as per the plans with IO-390 and hartzell BA.

Rgs Chad
RV10 Standard Fuselage Complete
RV10 Empennage complete
RV-7 Flying VH-VNZ
Tech Councillor - Sports Aircraft Assn of Australia

2021 Dues Paid

Last edited by Bootscooter : 04-22-2018 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:25 AM

Good luck!! Exciting times.
http://www.tasrv14.blogspot.com.au/
Old 04-22-2018, 11:17 AM

My 14A required a rudder trim tab on the left side (equivalent of right rudder input). I flew off the entire Phase 1 before adding the rudder tab so it?s not a handling issue. I had 300+hours in an RV6A before the 14, no model-specific transition training, and first flight was a breeze. I found the 14 much easier to land with more stable but equally responsive handling in all conditions.

Enjoy that first flight day!

RV-14A Builder - kit #136 (complete) and #770 (in process)
N314KC - First flight Mar 8, 2017, 24th in the air, >750 hrs
XP-400 Aero Sport Power, replaced with Lyc Thunderbolt 390
RV-6A sold
Sport Pilot (weight-shift control) - Airborne XT912
Dues paid 9/2021
Old 04-23-2018, 06:29 PM

Default Rudder Trim

My 14A also required the fitment of a small rudder trim on the right hand side. The balance ball was just touching the right hand edge of the balance line in cruise. Not a big deal, it was out just a fraction. Fixed now.

It is will be interesting to see if this is a continuing trend amongst 14's.

Others out there give us your feed back. If this becomes the norm amongst 14's then builders following will have an opportunity to include the trim in their build and wont have to worry about painting the rudder again.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieflyer View Post
My 14A also required the fitment of a small rudder trim on the right hand side. The balance ball was just touching the right hand edge of the balance line in cruise. Not a big deal, it was out just a fraction. Fixed now.
Are you talking about a tab or a wedge on your rudder? I believe if you put a wedge on the right side of the rudder trailing edge, it will provide nose left trim moment. You would have needed the opposite if the ball was touching the right edge of the line (you 'step on the ball' to center it, so you would have needed nose right trim).

FWIW, most other RV models I've looked at tend to need nose right rudder trim. On the -14, the forward mounting bolt for the vertical stab is offset a bit to the left, which will provide nose right trim (presumably with the intention of eliminating any need for a trim tab in cruise). It appears maybe a bit too much nose right trim, because the three RV-14's that I've seen with trim tabs (including Van's demo bird) have tabs providing nose left trim.
RV-8A N2D #80583 - built/flew/sold
RV-14A #140017 - wings complete, empacone in progress...
Old 04-23-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechsix View Post
Are you talking about a tab or a wedge on your rudder? I believe if you put a wedge on the right side of the rudder trailing edge, it will provide nose left trim moment. You would have needed the opposite if the ball was touching the right edge of the line (you 'step on the ball' to center it, so you would have needed nose right trim).

FWIW, most other RV models I've looked at tend to need nose right rudder trim. On the -14, the forward mounting bolt for the vertical stab is offset a bit to the left, which will provide nose right trim (presumably with the intention of eliminating any need for a trim tab in cruise). It appears maybe a bit too much nose right trim, because the three RV-14's that I've seen with trim tabs (including Van's demo bird) have tabs providing nose left trim.
I am talking about the wedge, as I too have noticed all the RV14's (incl Van’s demo) with the wedge on the bottom RHS of the rudder. I primarily wanted to know for what to expect inflight, but it does seem odd that if a wedge is needed at all, it happens to be on the RHS.
RV10 Standard Fuselage Complete
RV10 Empennage complete
RV-7 Flying VH-VNZ
Tech Councillor - Sports Aircraft Assn of Australia

2021 Dues Paid

Last edited by Bootscooter : 04-23-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:23 PM

I've had no need for a wedge for trim on the rudder on my 14A.

160 hours and she flies with the ball centered in cruise. The offset of the VS seems to be just right on mine.

Built and Flying RV-14A N626KM SN 140093 http://n626km.com
Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com