Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2017, 04:38 PM

Default Garmin GTN 6XX/7XX Software v6.41 and Service Bulletin 1723

Good news! GTN 6XX/7XX software version 6.41 is released and for EAB customers with non-certified aircraft. You can download the software and the associated service bulletin with detailed instructions for how to load. Please see the service bulletin for complete details and make sure you are familiar and comfortable with the software update process outlined there before attempting it on your own aircraft. If not, the option of seeking assistance from a dealer is still available. Link to the software and service bulletin downloads:

Service Bulletin 1723 - GTN 6XX/7XX Software Loader Image 006-B1367-36

I've summarized a few more applicable changes in the bullet list below. Additionally, I wanted to include links to the nice postings Steve did on the new functionality when tied to G3X Touch. One of the most notable being the ability to load a visual approach to most runways!

GTN Visual Approach Guidance on G3X Touch

GTN 6XX/7XX Main Software Version 6.41 contains:
  • Added support for visual approaches which include advisory vertical and horizontal guidance to most runways.
  • Added support for forwarding GTX attitude through the Flight Stream 510 to portable devices.
  • Added support for advisory vertical guidance on LNAV approaches in regions without SBAS coverage.
  • Removed pop-up that impeded the creation of user waypoints defined by two radials.
  • Fixed RS-232 Aviation Outputs is sue that would incorrectly send distance to destination.
  • Changed datalink weather timestamps so that they will now collapse when all weather is current to declutter the display.
  • Added support for logging connections to the Flight Stream products connected to the GTN. The log can be sent to Garmin for analysis, when needed.
  • Added support for setting transponder emergency squawk code when COM volume knob is pressed and held to activate the emergency COM frequency.

GTN Main Software Version 6.41 and Flight Stream 510 Software Version 2.32:
  • Fixed issue related to FIS-B weather data (Service Advisory 1684) from a GTX 345
  • Added an attitude output from a GTX 345 when connected to a GTN
Regards,
Brian
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:29 PM

Default Link takes me to old G3X update page?

I must be doing something wrong because I never get to a GTN update page when I click on the link, It takes me to the GTN service bulletin but not the software download page?

Is there another way to get to it?
Old 10-05-2017, 11:31 PM

Default Two Links

There are two links listed for the GTNXXX the first is for the SB, the second is for the loader. You will need to activate the two links to get what you want.
Once you activate the second link you will download an xxx.exe file. Double click the exe file and it will install the update to the (required) SD card. Then you can proceed to install the update to the device in accordance with the SB you downloaded with the first link.

Hope that helps you get through the less than intuitive process.

Last edited by 622BH : 10-05-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:49 AM

Default Ahh, got it.

I didn't see the link at the bottom, I thought it was for the Service Bulletin also.

Got the update now,Thanks
Old 10-06-2017, 07:07 AM

Installed last evening, worked like a charm, no glitches.
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Project Sold
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 10-06-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
Installed last evening, worked like a charm, no glitches.
Brian,

Good to hear!

Here is a tip on using GTN Visual Approaches. The Visual Approach button shows up on the lower left of the map page when a Visual Approach is available for use at the destination airport.

By default, this button becomes visible at 10 nm from the destination airport. I found myself wanting to see if a visual approach is available to use sooner than 10 nm out, so I went into the Map Setup page, selected "Visual APPR Selector" and changed the setup to show this button at 15 nm from the airport which seems about right. You can also choose 25 nm if you like.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:47 AM

Great work Garmin

do the visual glide slopes provide terrain/obstacle avoidance? I think it's important to clarify that and reiterate to people who may be making assumptions
Old 10-06-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkthomps View Post
Great work Garmin

do the visual glide slopes provide terrain/obstacle avoidance? I think it's important to clarify that and reiterate to people who may be making assumptions
Hello Brian,

Good question. The primary purpose of this approach is to provide advisory horizontal and optional vertical guidance for the selected runway to aid in flying a stabilized approach and ensuring that the aircraft is in line with the chosen destination runway.

It is a visual approach and terrain/obstacle clearance remains the responsibility of the pilot, but when vertical guidance is provided, the algorithms are providing some assistance in verifying clearance is sufficient.

Having said that, when you activate a visual approach, the pop-up has a reminder that "Guidance is advisory and may not provide adequate clearance from terrain or obstacles.".

Section 6.13 of the updated GTN Pilot Guide provides additional information regarding terrain/obstacle clearance on the visual approach.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 10-06-2017, 12:40 PM

Default Scary, but worked well

I did my update, this morning, on the 650. I am always nervous when I do these, because I know I can really screw up my unit. I take a phone picture of each page of my configuration screens, so that I can go back, if necessary. Anyway, I downloaded the SB, read it, then downloaded the software to my SD card.

Everything worked as it should. And I reviewed each screen to confirm that only the correct changes were made.

Ron
IO360, 180HP/CS, AFS 5600T, D10A, G650, G430, G327, ADS-B, VIZ385 AP
Very Happy Contributor
Comm, SMEL, CFII, A&P
Based at KCLW (Clearwater, FL)
Old 10-06-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Hello Brian,

Good question. The primary purpose of this approach is to provide advisory horizontal and optional vertical guidance for the selected runway to aid in flying a stabilized approach and ensuring that the aircraft is in line with the chosen destination runway.

It is a visual approach and terrain/obstacle clearance remains the responsibility of the pilot, but when vertical guidance is provided, the algorithms are providing some assistance in verifying clearance is sufficient.

Having said that, when you activate a visual approach, the pop-up has a reminder that "Guidance is advisory and may not provide adequate clearance from terrain or obstacles.".

Section 6.13 of the updated GTN Pilot Guide provides additional information regarding terrain/obstacle clearance on the visual approach.

Thanks,
Steve
Perfect, thanks Steve! I just wanted to make sure that was reiterated to pilots, a warning each time makes sense