What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone have a Morton Buildings Hangar?

kklewin

Well Known Member
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Morton Buildings folks. I am looking to build a 60x50 (or so) hangar, but my lim fac is the time period. I need to do a 1031 exchange so It would have to go up quickly and they seem to be able to do all of it, vice several different contractors that are needed on a metal building.

Also looking for your average cost per sq ft once completed. (Insulated/Heated).

Any comments either way are appreciated....

Thanks,

Kurt

Morton Hangars

I dont have one, however several of my neighbors in Marchmont Plantation Airpark (North Carolina ) do. I spend a lot of time in them,some insulated and some not.My opinion is they are very nice buildings and will build to your specs (door locations,color,ect.). I would recomend the insulation package if you will spend time in the cold. They also fit well in a residential scenario where they have to have "curb appeal". Because they are wood framed, it is very easy to do inside upgrades such as shelving,ect. Some are using Wilson doors, and others Hi-Fold doors...Good Luck !

Bill E.
RV-4 paint prep.
6NC8 Advance N.C.

Why not metal?

kklewin said:
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Morton Buildings folks. I am looking to build a 60x50 (or so) hangar, but my lim fac is the time period. I need to do a 1031 exchange so It would have to go up quickly and they seem to be able to do all of it, vice several different contractors that are needed on a metal building.
Thanks,

Kurt

Kurt I'm confused on the several contractors point.

My metal hangar only needed a concrete guy and the metal erection (can you say that... ;) ...) crew.

I ordered the building myself, but if I would have ordered through the local dealer, it would have been one-stop shopping.

It was a Metallic Building Inc hangar at 67 x 50, almost the same size as yours.

http://www.metallic.com/metallic/

Can't' say anything on cost since it was over 4 years ago and prices have changed...

In our area, getting it through the county/city permit process was the hardest part... especially now that the changed to the IBC building code that would classify your hangar as "commercial" due to it's size.... :mad:

good luck ... gil in Tucson

Morton Building

Kurt, I have a 66 x 68 hangar with a 48 x 30 attached house that Morton did for me and I have one word for you.....OUTSTANDING. Contact me offline and I can send you pics and tell you more about the building.

Gil,

Morton advertises one stop shopping...vice with a metal bldg I have to get a contractor to erect the building, one to design the foundation, a foundation company to set the foundation, a slap guy to pour the slab, heating guy, electrical guy, asphalt guy, plumber, etc. Just to engineer the slab is about 2K, but its all included in the Morton price. I think overall they are a bit more expensive, but seemingly quicker to get it built, less hassle, and have a good reputation?

Anyone else?

Kurt

Opps...someone else was logged on to this computer and I didn't double check...sorry..the above message is from me (Kurt) and not John...

=(

Local or Remote?

Yukon said:
Gil,

Morton advertises one stop shopping...vice with a metal bldg I have to get a contractor to erect the building, one to design the foundation, a foundation company to set the foundation, a slap guy to pour the slab, heating guy, electrical guy, asphalt guy, plumber, etc. Just to engineer the slab is about 2K, but its all included in the Morton price. I think overall they are a bit more expensive, but seemingly quicker to get it built, less hassle, and have a good reputation?

Anyone else?

Kurt

Kurt... I was trying to say that if I went to my local steel building supplier, they would do one-stop shopping too, and are local and know the codes and who to talk to...

They would have done the slab engineering - fairly easy in SE AZ with no frost level... :) ...bought the building and used their own erection crew. I did my own electrical, so that was never an issue.

In my case, all of this would have almost doubled my price... the county valued my hangar at $99,999 - after a letter stating what I paid for things, they re-did it at $42,000..... :D

They promised 10 days to erect a 50 x 67 hangar with 14 ft eaves, and that is what their crew of 2 to 3 guys took, along with a high lift fork lift.

One test to see if they know aircraft hangars ask them about a Horton Door... if they have a blank look on their face, then they probably have not done many hangars.... :rolleyes:

good luck .... gil A

Back