Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:40 AM

Default TruTrak ground test failed

Hello Guys,

I have Vision 380 installed in my RV7A and unfortunately the pitch servo is working in opposite way. I did the ground test and roll servo reaction is correct but in case of pitch servo the reaction is opposite.
What can be wrong? I have not found information in the installation manual regarding cables which I could reverse - like in case of roll servo.

Any recommendations what should i check first.

Thank you,
Witold
Old 09-01-2017, 09:51 AM

Look at the wiring pinouts listed in the manual -- the info you're looking for should be there.

Don't know about the Vision specifically, but my on my TruTrak GX Pilot you either add or remove a jumper between the pitch control wires at the control head to reverse the servo direction.
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Auburntsts : 09-01-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
Look at the wiring pinouts listed in the manual -- the info you're looking for should be there.
There's an easier solution... I ran into this recently on my install, but it's an easy fix! It's a set-up function; see the Vizion install/Ops manual, page 14; a yes/no selection to reverse servo motion.
Houston, TX
Old 09-01-2017, 12:43 PM

Thank you John,

I read 2 times the manual and did not find this information

Witold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbDC9 View Post
There's an easier solution... I ran into this recently on my install, but it's an easy fix! It's a set-up function; see the Vizion install/Ops manual, page 14; a yes/no selection to reverse servo motion.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbDC9 View Post
Wow, that could be scary--a software selectable servo direction. What if a software update were to reset the default to the opposite selected for the airplane? I would make sure to verify proper direction of the autopilot after making any change to the programming. Hopefully, they have some safeguards built in for that, but it does present a potential risk.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, though.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:35 AM

Thank you. It works perfectly now
Old 09-03-2017, 08:44 AM

[quote=1001001;1200871]Wow, that could be scary--a software selectable servo direction. What if a software update were to reset the default to the opposite selected for the airplane? I would make sure to verify proper direction of the autopilot after making any change to the programming. Hopefully, they have some safeguards built in for that, but it does present a potential risk.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, though.[/QUOTE

I like this feature. The direction is dependent on the installation, so this way you wire it one way every time and then set the direction. That is the reason you do a ground test, and would do one after any update even if this option were not available.
1978 PA38-112
Old 09-04-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001001 View Post
Wow, that could be scary--a software selectable servo direction. What if a software update were to reset the default to the opposite selected for the airplane? I would make sure to verify proper direction of the autopilot after making any change to the programming. Hopefully, they have some safeguards built in for that, but it does present a potential risk.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, though.
I would hope as a prudent owner or mechanic such a thing would be checked on the ground, or at the very least in VFR conditions before trying to go IFR with a whole software update. If it doesn't react the way you expect you turn off AP, fly the damned thing, and figure it out on the ground. Either way, I think that's blowing it out of proportion thinking it's a preposterous idea to have software be able to change such a thin.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
I would hope as a prudent owner or mechanic such a thing would be checked on the ground, or at the very least in VFR conditions before trying to go IFR with a whole software update. If it doesn't react the way you expect you turn off AP, fly the damned thing, and figure it out on the ground. Either way, I think that's blowing it out of proportion thinking it's a preposterous idea to have software be able to change such a thin.
I didn't say it was preposterous--only that it represents a risk that needs to be mitigated.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1001001 View Post
I didn't say it was preposterous--only that it represents a risk that needs to be mitigated.
To accommodate the new switch that allows the AP to level the wings and fly the current heading, they had to free up some pins or move to a larger DB connector. The end result was to eliminate the servo direction jumper and implement it software.

Personally, I prefer it over the jumper. It shouldn't cause anyone concern, nor is it a risk. I assume that everyone validates all their settings after any firmware upgrade, then conducts a test flight. Correct?