camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2017, 06:02 PM

Default What are your regrets on your Vans projects

Hey guys
Im torn
Im torn between building, buying, what to build, what to buy, etc.

Did you ever regret getting a vans kit, relizing later that you needed more space

A little about me
Self Employed
family of three girls and one man, me

My business takes me to surrounding states
love to travel by airplane, hate driving

Im not sure what i should be looking at as far as a kit planes
Want the RV-10, because i would like to think my girls would travel with me, but i don't know if that would the the reality.

Like to have a sportsman 2+2 because it s a high wing and utilizes a 4 banger

How many of you have bought with this mind set only to find out you were wrong. The mindset being passengers, you bought because you thought you would be taking more people

If i was going 2 person it would be a 14, but i really want the option of a 4 person plane. I love the RV-10, but how long will it be before vans may come out with a better 4 person plane? The 10 has been out now for quite some time.

Im just lost as to what to get. I joined the EAA and have looked for a very active chapter to join locally (metro Atlanta).

Would love to hear your thoughts on why you bought what you bought.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2017, 07:23 PM

The RV-10 is a good kit. I've seen it. If you go for the quick-build options, it's a relatively short time to be airborne, although not cheap.

I've got a Cessna 180 and that gives me four seats and reasonable performance. It does very well on short/soft fields and in the mountains. It carries a lot and still had good performance and reliable, steady handling. It's not as fast as a -10 but meets my needs. And best of all, it has a tailwheel.

I'm building an RV-3B simply for the fun of it. I don't need that capability at all. I chose this plane because of the support of VAF, plus a good kit company, plus this is a bit of an old school kit. It doesn't have pre-punched holes and some of the kit parts aren't so good.

Once in a while I wish I was building something else. About every six months, pretty much on schedule, I get the urge to scrap this and build a Rocket - I won't do that. I have no need of a Rocket but that doesn't prevent the urge. In my more analytical moments I realize that a Kolb Mk III Xtra would actually make quite a fun second airplane, if I wasn't spending so much time on the mighty Three.

I'm still enjoying building the RV-3B, warts and all. I do wish that I were better at it, though.

Dave
Old 02-19-2017, 07:40 PM

I built a -9A, which I started when I was unmarried. Now that I am married with a dog and may have a kid or two in the next few years, I would love to have a -10 for trips to visit family, etc. BUT, I was able to build a 9A for probably 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of what a -10 would cost me, not to mention higher operating costs. 90% of my flying will still probably be alone or with 1 passenger and just for fun, so it makes much more sense to own the 9A and rent a 4-seater the few times a year it would be needed, or maybe find a partnership in one at some point. I can rent a lot of time in a 182 or even a Cirrus for less than the cost difference in owning a -10.

All that being said, we all know owning ANY plane doesn't make much financial sense, so if I had the money to burn, yes, I would build or own a 10. Nothing beats flying your own airplane. I even keep my eyes out for good deals on a -10 tail kit.

Chris
Old 02-19-2017, 07:43 PM
been here awhile

What do you fly now?
Do the girls fly with you now?
What is your flying background/experience?
What is your timeline for having a new plane to fly?

Difficult to offer input without knowing something about your experience and expectations.

Yes, making these decisions can be daunting and we have seen this question many time before. Our customary suggestion is to tightly define your mission profile as much as possible, only then can you narrow your choices to a manageable number.

Otherwise, the question becomes....should I buy a Ford or Chevy?

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 02-19-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:17 PM

I bought a really nice looking well built RV-8. No regrets.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:23 PM

If your can afford it and have the time, build an RV-10. It is a wonderful travel machine.

Carl
Old 02-19-2017, 08:48 PM

Default wait for it.....

official greeter is comin'!

you say 3 girls, do you mean one woman and 2 girls?
either way, you're screwed! ;-)

did you factor into this the $187,382 you are supposed to be saving for their college education? ( or were you planning to send more than one!??!)

.....not to rain on your VFR day, just sayin'.....every hour you spend thinkin' about or building a plane is an hour missed with family, even if they are bucking rivets with you, they may want to be somewhere else.

I did not build, as I did not have the magic triad; spare time, spare room, spare money.......all at the same time, for the average 7.2 years that people take to build a SIMPLE kitplane like the prepunched RV's.

...ok, gettin' off the soapbox now!

have fun flying, building, or whatever you end up with!
Old 02-19-2017, 09:04 PM

My only regrets are that I didn't do this 10 or 15 years ago. I ended up building a 9 because I found a good deal on a pre-owned kit. The 10 was too expensive for me and I'm not too interested in aerobatics right now so the 9 it is!!
Dues paid April 2021
Old 02-19-2017, 09:43 PM

Default My Regrets on my Van's Aircraft Project

My regret is NOT using the largest engine cubic inches recommended by Van's Aircraft for the airframe. Except for the RV-12, every RV that is currently available that I build will have a Constant Speed prop.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:21 PM

I started on the RV-9A as my kids were getting out of the house and through college. The two seats are fine for my wife and I to travel around. It would be nice occasionally to have an extra seat (or two), but that's not the mission. Back in the late 80's we had a Rockwell Commander 114, and we rarely put 4 people in the airplane. Mostly 1 or 2, sometimes 3.
If Van's made a 3 seater, I might consider it. It is nice to be able to take someone along with the two of us.
The RV-10 is terrific, but for me it would be overkill for my mission and budget. Having 3 kids, it wouldn't have been big enough even when they were younger.
Be realistic with your mission and make your choice. I'm very happy with my -9A. Today if I was building, I would seriously consider the -14. Much quicker to build than the -9 or -10.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and Flying Over the Hills Blog
2021 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Pre Buys, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs