- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:27 PM

Default Fixing a random screw in elevator

I bought a used empennage kit and while inspecting an elevator I noticed a screw where there should be a rivet. It's held on with a lock-nut on the other side. When removed there's a big hole. Do I put the nut and screw back and call it good? Is there an acceptable fix for this?

Old 02-18-2017, 07:47 PM

I suspect the screw is acceptable, but not pretty. If it was me, i would want a 426-5 rivet in there, but if you can't get to the backside to buck, you will have to shop for a pulled rivet to fill the hole.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:33 PM

Generally, if a river is called for, a river is best. A screw stretches as it is tightened, making it thinner. A rivet swells as it is bucked, making it thicker and does a better job of making the parts one. However, with a single hole in a location like this, I would leave it alone and fill it with body filler before paint if you don't like seeing the screw head. Bucking a #5 rivet in 0.016" skins would not be my recommendation. Having a rivet that thick swell in a hole with questionable edge distance will not solve problems, but could create them.

Build on is my recommendation.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:28 AM

If someone asks you about it, just look them straight in the eye and say "this is the latest speed mod - I get another five knots with this".

Carl
Old 02-19-2017, 01:59 PM

I missed bucking a rivet in the left wing spar. If someone sees the not-so-obvious hole and queries it, I reply that it's a top-side inspection hole for upper surface of the aileron hardware...
Old 02-20-2017, 07:59 AM

Default Screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
Generally, if a river is called for, a river is best. A screw stretches as it is tightened, making it thinner. A rivet swells as it is bucked, making it thicker and does a better job of making the parts one. However, with a single hole in a location like this, I would leave it alone and fill it with body filler before paint if you don't like seeing the screw head. Bucking a #5 rivet in 0.016" skins would not be my recommendation. Having a rivet that thick swell in a hole with questionable edge distance will not solve problems, but could create them.

Build on is my recommendation.
^^ That's why I did it. While dimpling I slipped and elongated the hole. Going to the #8 countersunk with a nyloc nut was my fix for this part was going to fill screw head before paint. Did not seem worth replacing the whole skin for that, viable fix in my mind. Probably would have caused more harm drilling out rivets and replacing skin for that. Build on
Old 02-20-2017, 10:26 PM

Default Cracks?

I think you might want to check the underlying structure for cracks or a funky hole just to be sure. When I buggered up my hole I ended up cracking the rib and had to replace it. JMHO. YMMV

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 10% left to go
Electrical/Panel done
Firewall Forward 75%done
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com