Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2016, 07:33 PM

Default Petit Jean Shortfall - In Case You Want to Chip In

I ran this post concept by Doug first and he said "absolutely" it would be OK to post.

The gathering on the mountain was fantastic but had one giant snag this year, about 36 hours of not a soul being able to land at Petit Jean due to low ceilings and poor visibility. Fortunately, everyone stayed safe, whether it be at alternate airports or by staying home. Nicely done everyone!

However, all the shenanigans put the EAA group hosting the event in the hole by about a couple grand. Actually, I'm amazed the loss wasn't a whole lot larger considering a little more than half of the planned attendees arrived. That was due to generous folks paying the full-weekend registration fee even if they only made it in Saturday afternoon, others adding random amounts to their registration fee, people buying more raffle tickets than they would have otherwise, and other creative ways to help contribute to the kitty. To these folks, THANK YOU MUCH!

Many others have expressed interest in trying to help offset the deficit. If you want to chip in, anything you might care to part with would be appreciated by EAA 165, the volunteers who work their tails off, and those that have gotten to enjoy the event or will in the future. Bill has already said this isn't going to stop Petit Jean 2017, but I think we should give them all the reasons to not pause a single moment in continuing to put in the exceptional effort that they do every year even while knowing Mother Nature may choose to not cooperate and throw them deep into the red.

For those so inclined, checks should be made payable to EAA 165 and mailed to:
Bill Schlatterer
43 Masters Place Drive
Maumelle, AR. 72113

Thanks for being a part of this fantastic group of aviators and friends.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Carol and I agree wholeheartedly and will be sending a check tomorrow. I'd rather play tail number bingo but I bet Mya would just keep winning!

Seriously, this is a truly wonderful event. First class all the way, with a very welcoming family- like atmosphere. We were so glad we were able to make it and look forward to next year!

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES/RW
Kitplanes "Unairworthy" "Diagnostics" monthly feature
EAA Sport Aviation "Checkpoints" monthly column
Author "Pre-Buy Guide for Amateur-Built Aircraft" & "Are your Nuts Tight?"
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 10-24-2016, 12:05 AM

Last year Ms. Patti was laying in a hospital bed, still partially paralyzed after a stroke. I went home to get a shower and some clothes, and found an email from Bill, announcing the date for PJ 2015. Ms. P wasn't yet speaking well enough to answer the phone, so I sent her a text..."Just got the date for PJ, you want to go?". She propped her phone in her lap and one-fingered with her left hand, "**** yes", and it was what she worked towards the rest of the year.

Last week was our sixth time at PJ...and I doubt I could drag Patti to Oshkosh with a Learjet. Yeah Tanya, we're in.

Dinner for 200+ at the Winthrop Rockefeller Institute isn't free, nor are the transport vans, the big tent, the catered BBQ, or anything else. To make it work, it's my understanding that the Arkansas gang has to guarantee around $16,000, with the knowledge that a shortfall has to come from their own pockets.

Hey, let's be real. The PJ guys don't need our money. They are uniformly bright, successful people, and getting stuck with the tab won't break them. On the other hand, I'd be seriously ashamed to stick 'em with it after they've hosted me and mine so graciously all these years...and if you're a PJ regular, I suspect you feel the same way.

So, here's the deal. Let's think high, and kick in $100 each. Forty or fifty hard-core PJ fans can fix last week's weather disaster, and start a little nest egg for next year so our friends don't have to worry. It's just doing something nice in return for all they've done for us.

How about it? Will you match me?

Last edited by DanH : 10-24-2016 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:40 AM

I'm in...I haven't even flown my -8 yet, but flying it to PJ is one of my goals. I'm a native Arkansan and went to college in Conway so it feels like home to me....and I want to support the home team!
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Dynon Skyview HDX, Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Whirlwind 200RV CS Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
https://www.marksrv8.com
Old 10-24-2016, 06:03 AM

I'm in, too. I hope to go some day and I want it to be as vibrant and enjoyable as the accounts that made me want to go.
$10/month donation gratefully made (worth every penny and painless)
Old 10-24-2016, 08:02 AM

Default In

My wife and I have never been to Petit Jean. However, the yearly pictures have been a motivator to complete our project. We are very close to kit completion and need that event to be available in the future. So, yes Dan we will match you.

P.S - we also need the Rosie Carribean trips to continue!
RV-14. #140039 Complete
Flight hours: 750+
2021 Dues Paid
The Dues Paid note is a reminder for me
Old 10-24-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post

--- SNIP ---

So, here's the deal. Let's think high, and kick in $100 each. Forty or fifty hard-core PJ fans can fix last week's weather disaster, and start a little nest egg for next year so our friends don't have to worry. It's just doing something nice in return for all they've done for us.

How about it? Will you match me?

I am one of the ones that did not make it this year. My matching check is in the mail.
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:35 AM

We are in too!
Old 10-24-2016, 10:46 AM

My check is in the mail!

Keith
Old 10-24-2016, 11:08 AM

Done.......
RV-10 N7631T 820hr Sold
RV-8 700+hr
SERFI AWARDS

http://weaselrv10.blogspot.com/