Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2016, 10:57 AM

Default Are you inadvertently voiding your insurance policy?

Did you know most Pleasure and Business policies do not cover instruction in your Vans Aircraft if the person receiving instruction is not a "Named Pilot"? This is typically true even if the CFI is a Named Pilot. Always be sure to double check with your broker prior to allowing your friends and loved ones to get instruction in your aircraft.

Gallagher Aviation
877-475-5860
Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management Services, Inc.
(Formerly NationAir Aviation Insurance)
www.ajg.com/lightaircraft / www.ajg.com
Opinions and advice provided by Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. is not intended to be, and should not be construed to be, legal advice. Please direct any request for legal advice to your attorney.
*paid advertiser
Old 04-28-2016, 11:17 AM

Yep. That is why Transition Training providers have to purchase extra insurance to provide training in their airplane (or self insure, which is something that I did not care to do). That is what ultimately led to my decision to no longer provide Transition Training.
VAF Paid 1/21/2021

"In '69 I was 21, and I called the road my own"
Jackson Browne

Old 04-28-2016, 11:26 AM

So is that true for "all" Instruction to include flight reviews? IOW if I want to receive a flight review in my own aircraft, the CFI has to be a named pilot on my policy and even then I might still void my policy depending on how it's worded?
WAR EAGLE!
Old 04-28-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
So is that true for "all" Instruction to include flight reviews? IOW if I want to receive a flight review in my own aircraft, the CFI has to be a named pilot on my policy and even then I might still void my policy depending on how it's worded?
You should be a "named pilot" in your own aircraft. I think the OP was talking about allowing a friend to take instruction in your airplane.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 04-28-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
You should be a "named pilot" in your own aircraft. I think the OP was talking about allowing a friend to take instruction in your airplane.
Of course I am and that's not how I interpreted the OP except in David's case where a CFI is using their own plane for instruction. I took it to mean in all cases hence my question.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 04-28-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
During a BFR the CFI does not necessarily have to be a ?named pilot? as long as you are current and remain PIC. The only time I can think of offhand where there would be a gray area is if; Let say you became incapacitated for some reason and the CFI had to become PIC during the flight (and he did not meet your ?Open Pilot Warranty.?). But this would be a rare and unlikely instance.

In most cases getting a BFR in your aircraft without the CFI being named is perfectly fine.

Gallagher Aviation
877-475-5860
Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management Services, Inc.
(Formerly NationAir Aviation Insurance)
www.ajg.com/lightaircraft / www.ajg.com
Opinions and advice provided by Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. is not intended to be, and should not be construed to be, legal advice. Please direct any request for legal advice to your attorney.
*paid advertiser
Old 04-28-2016, 11:36 AM

Thanks Shanna!
WAR EAGLE!
Old 04-28-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Todd,

Like Mel stated, you're covered.

Where I ran into issues was for my IPC recurrent training. While I had the view limiting device on, the CFII is technically the PIC. I was able to add my CFII as a named pilot, but only in the role of providing instruction to me, at no additional expense. He wasn't covered to operate the aircraft as the sole occupant and PIC.

bob
Old 04-28-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaib View Post
Yep. That is why Transition Training providers have to purchase extra insurance to provide training in their airplane (or self insure, which is something that I did not care to do). That is what ultimately led to my decision to no longer provide Transition Training.
Me too.
Cost of extra insurance exceeded income.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
Todd,

Like Mel stated, you're covered.

Where I ran into issues was for my IPC recurrent training. While I had the view limiting device on, the CFII is technically the PIC.
bob
Where did you get such an idea? You can fly under the hood with a non-instrument rated private pilot as safety pilot. If you are responsible for the safe and legal operation of the airplane, you are PIC. Of course you must be current wrt BFR, and may not enter actual imc unless instrument current.