What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring up MGL iEFIS Explorer and various modules..

chris mitchell

Well Known Member
I have my iEFIS explorer, SP6 magnetometer, Sp7 AHRS, RDAC and iBox out on teh dining room table whhile I try to figure out the wiring; I'm not finding the manuals totally clear. I have established that the supplied iEFIS power connector plugs into the iEFIS and that there are supplied power and CAN bus connectors for the iBox. Also a GPS antenna. That's the easy and obvious bit.

I have a d-sub plug with power and CAN leads that is marked 120 ohm inside - I think supplies the RDAC XF. Yes?? THe remainder of the connections to the RDAC look pretty simple.

I read that the SP-6 and SP-7 can function either via the CAN bus or the Airtalk connection but that the latter offers some advantage(s)? I had planned to mount the magnetometer under the VS on the rear deck (RV-4) (away from electrics, engine etc) and the SP-7 somewhere just forward of the main spar, so that it was near the C of G. Do I wire these units using d-sub connectors for power/ground/CAN hi and lo? Or do I use the airtalk connection and forget the CAN bus?

I read that the OAT sensor is polarised - so what I have has a blue wire and a white wire - presumably ground and sensor output? Which is which? And where does the sensor output go?

I have a supplied black wire (about 1 metre long) with the little screw LAN connectors at each end - this runs between iEFIS and the iBox?

I was planning to use a Trig transponder controlled from the iEFIS. I presume that occurs via the IBox? Using one of the 25 pin d-sub connections?

Finally, this CAN bus - I make up a twisted pair, put resistors at each end, then break into the loop wherever I need to wire in a module?

At least some of these issues may have been covered or even be hidden in the manuals but it doesn't seem clear to me, so as ever, grateful for all input. The rest of my wiring I'm quite happy with!

Many thanks

Chris:confused:

1) Use the CAN bus.
2) Use the Dsubs like you described using the 120 ohm terminator on your SP6 as the end of a Can bus. Tap your SP7 and RDAC into that run and into the IBOX. Use the other CAN for your servos.
3) Can't remember the temp wiring , but you can't hurt it by being backwards. The output is displayed onscreen and used for TAS/DA, etc.
4) The little LAN cables go IBOX to EFIS and EFIS to EFIS, either plug on EFIS.
5) Buy Dsubs for each IBOX connector, you will use them for various inputs like trim position, AP disconnect, transponder, UAT,etc.
6) Study the IBOX plugs and find their associated options in setup. You can power up with minimal wiring and use the actual EFIS. There are a lot of standard options so you won't need to customize screens unless you deluxe out. I usually make at least one screen with HUGE engine gauges.

Back