Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2016, 06:44 AM

Default Not your typical fuel tank woe

After agonizing over to wet rivet or not, sealant dispensing methods, and everyone opinions, I completed my fuel tanks back in November and the initial leak test with soapy water and balloon passed with flying colors. About a week or so ago I ran across a thread from a builder who was having issues with producing acceptable tubing flares. It was then I learned that I used the wrong flare set (automotive) when making the vent lines in for the tanks. That's when I went down another path of endless thread scouring about potential vent blockages/leakages etc. I was worried that although leak free, I may leak fuel through the improper vent fitting once the vent fitting was submerged in fuel. My curiosity couldn't take it anymore, so I decided to do another leak test with Avgas. Long story short, no leaks from the inboard rib vent fitting when submerged in fuel. Which brings me to......

While inspected each rivet in the tank for blue dye, I was scraping off bits of dry proseal from around the rivets. My heart sank when I found this:

It seems that during my wet riveting, proseal madness, I overlooked a rivet. This hole is filled with dry proseal and is leak free. It is just far enough away from the filler cap that I can not reach it. Here is a picture I tried to snap holding a mirror through the filler neck (the red in the lower left is the filler neck). The red arrow points to the pick piercing through the sealant.

Here are my initial thoughts in order of least to most invasive:

1) Do nothing other than fill the dimple completely flush with sealant and pretend like it never happened.

2) Put a blind rivet in and attempt to smoosh a big dollup of sealant on the shop head using some sort of reaching device (i.e. mirror, etc)

3) Cut an access hole in the back and put the the correct rivet in place. (This seems like overkill)

Any other ideas or suggestions? I hate to cut into a leak free tank just for the sake of one rivet.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-17-2016, 06:53 AM

The RV12 uses a special blind rivet for its fuel tank and you install it wet. You might talk with Vans but this seems like an option. A second option is to install the correct rivet. It looks close enough to the fuel cap to get a small bucking bar inside.
Eagles Nest Mentor
EAA Tech Counselor

Last edited by Pat Stewart : 03-17-2016 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Stewart View Post
The RV12 uses a special blind rivet for its fuel tank and you install it wet. You might talk with Vans but this seems like an option. A second option is to install the correct rivet. It looks close enough to the fuel cap to get a small bucking bar inside.
The AK-42H rivet is a flush, closed ended pull rivet. You will have to drill the hole out to 1/8", then use a countersink/hand deburring tool to bevel the hole enough to make the rivet sit flush. However, the tank skins are quite thick, so you shouldn't have any issues there. Just do a little at a time and test with the rivet until it is flush.

RV-8 C-GURV (Flying since Nov 2004) - Sold
Scratch building 4pl Bearhawk (C-GPFG reserved)
Flying a '79 Maule M5-235C
Ex-military : Donated anyway (it's worth it)

President EAA 245 Ottawa, ON
Old 03-17-2016, 08:22 AM

A custom bucking bar holder with a small bucking bar should allow a normal rivet to be used. Move on to other jobs and think it over for a while.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:00 AM

waiting and thinking is always helpful. The challenge is being able to sleep
Instagram @sblack2154
Old 03-17-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8bldr View Post
The AK-42H rivet is a flush, closed ended pull rivet. You will have to drill the hole out to 1/8", then use a countersink/hand deburring tool to bevel the hole enough to make the rivet sit flush. However, the tank skins are quite thick, so you shouldn't have any issues there. Just do a little at a time and test with the rivet until it is flush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1R View Post
A custom bucking bar holder with a small bucking bar should allow a normal rivet to be used. Move on to other jobs and think it over for a while.
Either of these suggestions are good options.

The first one has been done successfully many times.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 03-17-2016, 09:59 AM

Default Good advice

I agree with the sleep method. After several days of thinking about my problem, I have always come up with a solution that works.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:04 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

I have used the special closed end pop rivet to fix a leak on the bottom of my tank.

This is the fix recommended by Vans.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 03-17-2016, 06:39 PM

Gents - I appreciate all of the valuable feedback. I think I'm going to go the blind rivet route for two reasons: 1) Its fast and easy; 2) I could see dropping a bucking bar or whatever into the tank and dinging it up (even though its the bottom skin)

Next question: Should I pretty much use the same procedure for riveting the Z-Brackets and swirl the rivet in sealant prior to insertion and then attempt to reach with something and dollop sealant on the shop head of the rivet for good measure?
Old 03-18-2016, 07:08 AM

I certainly would.

RV-8 C-GURV (Flying since Nov 2004) - Sold
Scratch building 4pl Bearhawk (C-GPFG reserved)
Flying a '79 Maule M5-235C
Ex-military : Donated anyway (it's worth it)

President EAA 245 Ottawa, ON