Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Photo/Video URLs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2016, 10:15 PM

Default Landing an RV-10 on a rough 2200 feet in the Baja

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOd9qI7quOA
Long video if you want to see just the approach and landing it is at about 12:00 on the video.

Another reason we fly there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBiqNuh-MbI

Last edited by Strasnuts : 02-22-2016 at 09:21 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-21-2016, 11:19 PM

Default Awesome

That's Cool Sean! Thanks for sharing! We need to get our 10 down that way.
Dues 2015 pd
Old 02-21-2016, 11:31 PM

Wow, that really looked rough. Nice landing keeping the nose wheel up and still under the plane! Looks like a fun place to go.
Flying N376E
Old 02-22-2016, 10:18 AM

Default Impressive

The vid makes your approach speed look insanely high. I know it's an illusion, but it looks a lot faster than the 65mph over the fence I use here at the 2100' home strip in the 6A. That might take some getting used to.

Let me toss this question out, Sean. As I get ready to shoot rivets on my bought-half-done -10 kit, I am wondering if I should plan on oversize wheels since 100% of my flights will originate and ultimately end on short turf. Trade-offs?

-Stormy
Old 02-22-2016, 10:43 AM
Forum Peruser

Thumbs up Camera View

Sean, I really like the way you have your camera set up. We can see ahead and also see you in the pilot's seat. That's a really neat way of capturing the action. Very nice!
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/ADS-B In and Out...and I like it!

?Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
Old 02-22-2016, 10:48 AM

Nice video Sean. Looks like you guys are having fun. Cool seeing the whales
That close.

Geoff
Rans S21
Old 02-22-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
The vid makes your approach speed look insanely high. I know it's an illusion, but it looks a lot faster than the 65mph over the fence I use here at the 2100' home strip in the 6A. That might take some getting used to.

Let me toss this question out, Sean. As I get ready to shoot rivets on my bought-half-done -10 kit, I am wondering if I should plan on oversize wheels since 100% of my flights will originate and ultimately end on short turf. Trade-offs?

-Stormy
I have the standard kit tires and go in and out of grass fields all the time. Some fields are bumpier than others, but I really haven't had any issues.

The only time I had an issue, was a grass runway that had a 3-4" crown at the center line. I went in first thing in the morning and there was still plenty of dew on the grass. I started slipping sideways due to the angle of the crown. I suspect larger tires may have had similar issues.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Stormy, You could keep the stock wheels, but mount standard 6.00 x 6 tires on them, as opposed to the low profiles 15 x 6 tires that come with the kit. 6.00 x 6 tires are approximately 17.5" in diameter, as opposed to the 15" of the low profiles tires. You would then fit the wheel pants to the larger tires. Just an idea, I haven't done it, but sometimes wish I did. My airplane does fine on smooth grass, but I miss flying into those rough backcountry strips that I used to visit.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:

-Stormy
I was heavy but close to 65. I had four skinny adults with bags and 42.6 gallons of fuel. My stall horn was going off at touchdown but not my AOA. I could have been a touch slower....but crosswind and some gusts were present so I traded distance for safety because I knew I had the distance for the speed I was going. 640 hours on the plane and I feel I know the speeds for the conditions. Always worth analysing though. I would not change the wheels or wheel pants. The RV10 is so good for so many things the trade off wouldn't be worth it. Just my opinion.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:41 PM

Default Awesome!

Looks like a great adventure. Are there rental accommodations there? Are they nice? How far down the baja?