- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:24 AM

Default Panel Feedback

Here are the initial thoughts for my tip-up RV-7 panel. The goal was to keep things as symmetrical and ergonomic as possible. I plan to fly PIC from both seats (Rt for acro and fun flying, Lt for XC).

In addition to what's shown, there will be a canopy release T-handle, and I'll probably install a throttle quadrant to make the engine controls more symmetrical. The switches and breakers are just a rough positional mock-up. For color, I'm thinking flat black or dark grey with white labeling.

V1.

V2.

V3.

What are your thoughts? Move/add/delete anything?
Old 01-27-2016, 09:19 AM

If you're going with the stock location for the release handle, you might need to lower your center stack to make room for it. Dropping the radios between your switches and circuit breakers would do it, and then you could mount the intercom (I think that's an intercom at the top right) to one side of the release handle.

Personal preference is to use switches rather than the keyswitch, and to keep push-pull knobs for controls rather than a quadrant. To each his own...
Old 01-27-2016, 10:11 AM

The LED trim position indicators aren't compatible with the Dynon internal position indicators. So you will have to use one or the other. I initially cut my panel for the LED indicators before I figured our you can't connect both the EFIS and the Trim indicator. I ended up just using the indicator internal to the EFIS since it can be configured where the RAC indicators are fixed.
RV-6A #20603
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec), but donated early in Sep'19.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:36 AM

I'll provide some thoughts - as I'm sure others will as well.

- Start over with the Dynon 10" SkyView displays. Use their EMS system and autopilot. This also eliminates the need for the stand alone trim position indication. This also sets you up for ADS-B in and TIS on the moving map.
- Move the headset jacks off the panel and down low in the cockpit - that way the wires are not always in your way.
- As previously stated, dump the key switch and use toggles for ignitions and a push button starter.
- As you are not installing an IFR navigator (430W, GTN-650 or similar) this is a VFR only panel. But you will still need ADS-B in/out. Dynon GPS provides 2020 certified ADS-B out and is simple to use with their transponder.
- Stay with the push/pull controls instead of a quadrant.

Carl
Old 01-27-2016, 11:53 AM

I would not use a quadrant.

Flap switch should be close to the throttle (regardless of what throttle you choose.)

I agree with getting the headset jacks off the panel.

I also would avoid using the trim indicators if possible.

Key switch or toggles both work.... personal choice. If using key, keep it off to far left reduce chance of breaking it off the key getting in or out. It is also more ergonomic for the reach of your left hand .

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 01-27-2016, 12:29 PM

I see you have 2 comm radios (and the sl-30 has nav audio too). How do you plan to switch between them for both transmit and receive, and to turn the nav audio on/off?

Perhaps that functionality is all buried in your switches, but the intercom you have pictured won't do it without some additional external switching.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:39 PM

Default I always ask

How far along are you on the plane? You want to wait as long as possible to select panel items. Things change fast and often to your advantage with cost and simplicity.

Regarding the jack locations, definitely put them in the roll bar brace. This keeps them behind you and out of the way.

The best recommendation I can give you is to go with a plug and play panel option from Advanced Flight Systems. I believe they will do Dynon stuff too. It is a little more money but will save you months of time.
RV-7 N717EE-Flying (Sold)
RV-7 N717AZ Painted and Complete
2021 Gold Lindy Grand Champion Kit Plane
Old 01-27-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
I'll provide some thoughts - as I'm sure others will as well.

- As you are not installing an IFR navigator (430W, GTN-650 or similar) this is a VFR only panel.

Carl
Why? If he has a SL30, he should have IFR capability.

Jim
RV8 N37PK
Old 01-27-2016, 01:18 PM

Default Few thoughts

If your going with GRT. The EMS does not need to be on the panel. It's redundant. IFR/ VFR / radios and transponder can be a remote install. Larger 8.5" screens will look nicer scale wise. Canopy release can also be designed to be on the sub panel or below. A pressure fit Gizmo dock for example could be removed to get to the Handel or a twist type lever could be used below the sub panel. Garmin GTR 200 has its own intercom if your going VFR.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRacer View Post
Why? If he has a SL30, he should have IFR capability.

Jim
RV8 N37PK
Jim,

While technically correct, VOR only IFR is increasingly impractical.

Carl